Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: networking  (Read 8172 times)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Re:networking
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2003, 10:32:16 AM »
Daryan:

Ok, I'm truely bad at hw/os tech support, so forgive me in advance if I only frustrate you.  :-[

You're just trying to map a drive, yes?  

Assuming you've already shared out the drive, you'll know the shared drive name and the name of the computer it's on.  If you don't, you can get the computer name by right clicking on my computer and selecting the computer name tab.

Go to the other computer, launch explorer (like Windows-E), and try directly accessing the drive by typing in the address window: \\computername\sharename.  You know, like if your computer was named DaryanLaptop and the drive was shared as C, you'd type: \\DaryanLaptop\C.  (Without the period, of course.)

Sometimes this will help when you can't find the computer in the network neighborhood, etc., because the whole system Windows uses to find computers is sorta jacked.  Remember that if you have a different login on the other computer, it'll ask you for it when you do this.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2003, 12:11:53 PM »
Yes yes, but if you can see it, so can the rest of the world, and that no es bueno.  What error message are you getting?

You can try this:
net use \\<IP address>\c$ /user:<computername of remote comptuer>\administrator <password for administrator account on that machine>

that will force you to use the local admin credentials on the remote pc to map the drive.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 12:12:43 PM by cheshirecat »
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2003, 12:13:06 PM »
See, I told you I was lazy and bad at this stuff.  ???

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com