Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini 120  (Read 3021 times)

Offline itsmyforte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Archos Gmini 120
« on: November 16, 2004, 09:35:52 PM »
i read the forever long thread on this guy.  i just have 3 questions before i dive in to buy one.  I intend on using this unit for mainly a mobile wav player/file transferring(basically its intended purpose.  however my BIGGEST reason for buying is its ability to record to wav with no file size limit, battery life being its demise for recording limitations.  i know that the spdif input gives the pop/clicks, but when i use for recording i intend to use the analog input with battery powered mic/preamp rig.  so my questions...

1.  its my understanding that the unit records flawlessly in analog input with the only degration in sound being the quality of your mics and preamp?

2.  i assume you can export your wav file you recorded via usb connection and do not have to spit it out analog or spdif connection?  if you do have to export the wav file via analog or spdif outputs does it incur the clicks/pops while doing so?

3.  any other reliability issues with this unit just from normal usage?

i would like any other information or comments which you think would be of importance to my needs.

thanks,
Jay

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
Re: Archos Gmini 120
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:39:49 PM »
i read the forever long thread on this guy.  i just have 3 questions before i dive in to buy one.  I intend on using this unit for mainly a mobile wav player/file transferring(basically its intended purpose.  however my BIGGEST reason for buying is its ability to record to wav with no file size limit, battery life being its demise for recording limitations.  i know that the spdif input gives the pop/clicks, but when i use for recording i intend to use the analog input with battery powered mic/preamp rig.  so my questions...

1.  its my understanding that the unit records flawlessly in analog input with the only degration in sound being the quality of your mics and preamp?

2.  i assume you can export your wav file you recorded via usb connection and do not have to spit it out analog or spdif connection?  if you do have to export the wav file via analog or spdif outputs does it incur the clicks/pops while doing so?

i would like any other information or comments which you think would be of importance to my needs.

thanks,
Jay

I'll provide the obligatory "any reason you're going with this over a nomad jukebox 3?" question to get things rolling...

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 05:32:52 AM »

thanks,
Jay

1]  don't know, but the internal a/d will also "degrade" the sound

2] your assumption is correct

3] it is a hard drive with moving parts

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 06:16:38 AM »

thanks,
Jay

I'll provide the obligatory "any reason you're going with this over a nomad jukebox 3?" question to get things rolling...

most importantly the gmini is smaller and weighs less.  and like i said i am not looking to record digitally.  i have a D7 for backup.

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 06:20:54 AM »

1]  don't know, but the internal a/d will also "degrade" the sound

agreed, i was thinking of things affecting the audio not in the direct path of the dac.  noise, hum, crosstalk.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:37:50 AM »
the thing is a brick
only taped with it a few times but it sounds great
with the newest firmware I loaded it has gappless playback and a real shuffle function

buy mine cheap http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=23490.0

make me an offer!
?>FR2LE

Offline WizDawg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 10:19:23 PM »
The battery life indicator is not the best.  I think max charge recording time is around 3 - 3 1/2 hrs.  Sound level indicator is way better than JB3 IMHO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.272 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com