Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audacity downsampling dithering problem  (Read 2944 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
audacity downsampling dithering problem
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »

took some 24/48 files and exported multiple set export format to 16 and project rate to 44 -- the resultant files have blank space of about 2 secs at end of file. any idea why?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:19:02 PM by db »
db

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: audacity downsampling dithering problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »
i don't have an answer but experienced this same problem.  my solution was to export one giant track and cut it up in cdwave.
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »
i have the same issue and never found an answer why
to get around it i export the 24/48 file as one long 16/44 then open it and track from there - no probs doing that just takes the time for the extra step :(
you may notice that the recording is a few seconds longer after exporting to 16/44 too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
i don't have an answer but experienced this same problem.  my solution was to export one giant track and cut it up in cdwave.

thanks, thought of this... but i'd prefer to spit out the 24 bit version, cut that up so that i have identical 16 and 24 bit files in terms of where they are split. i did find out that it's a downsampling issue, not a dither thing -- and i had the same problem in reaper with the exported 24 bit files. so.. i'm left believing that audacity is doing something to the file prior to  exporting.
db

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
try cutting them and then using r8brain to take the to 16/44.1. Much better src imo anyway.

r8brain free also dithers for you and probably does a better job as well.

Heres an interesting SRC chart if you've never seen it. Not really a fix to your problem but food for though since your having the issue anyway.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »
try cutting them and then using r8brain to take the to 16/44.1. Much better src imo anyway.

r8brain free also dithers for you and probably does a better job as well.

Heres an interesting SRC chart if you've never seen it. Not really a fix to your problem but food for though since your having the issue anyway.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

yup already did this. fixed the files i needed to fix  -- now though, and i'm not joking, r8brain won't open. also i was not really happy with the way it insists on batch processing. unless i'm not doing something properly, it wants to place the 16/44 files in the input folder, renaming the 24 bit files to "original" ... i'm guessing there's a work-around for this, but i have not figured it out yet... as i'll have to uninstall it and then reinstall... it's next on my "to do list"

db

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
By default I think R8Brain leaves the original file alone and creates a new file with _r8b appended to the filename.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »

thanks, thought of this... but i'd prefer to spit out the 24 bit version, cut that up so that i have identical 16 and 24 bit files in terms of where they are split.

Then either:
(1) cut your 24 bit with CD Wave and dither/downsample the individual tracks.  Obviously your 16 bit tracks will be split identically. 
Or:
(2) split your 24 bit tracks, save as a cue sheet, dither/downsample the whole big file down to 16 bit, and then apply the cue sheet.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com