Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity Bass Reduction?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audacity Bass Reduction?
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »
I taped a show recently without bass filter on and the sound was so loud that my hair was moving from the vibration and I was standing about 30 feet from the stage. Hence, the tape is a little bassy. Not a lot, just a little. There was no distortion as I taped in 24 bit at low levels but the club sound engineer was trying his best to damage our ears. Even with good ear-plugs, the ringing in my ears took a full day to leave. Anyway, does Audacity have a "bass reduction" feature or does this require equalization to make it sound less miuddy?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Audacity Bass Reduction?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
You can start with a low pass filter to see if that does what you need.   There are a fair number of threads discussing a multitude of different techniques as well.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audacity Bass Reduction?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
There are multiple ways of achieving the desired goal of "bass reduction":  EQ or parametric EQ, high pass filter (HPF, same thing as low cut filter), band-limited compression, etc.

Check the sticky at the top of the forum for a couple threads specific to the subject, including one focused on Audacity.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com