Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which bag should I get?  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Which bag should I get?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
Will,

I really think you should go no smaller than a Nova 5, reason...

I had pair 391's (in tupperware which was smaller than pelican), wal mart lith ion, UA-5, 2 jb3's, vert bar, clamp, and 15' mini star quad, and two sabra mounts (easily collapsable) and it barely fit in the bag.  You will have much more stuff, but with some creative packing you should be alright.

For the UA-5 get a white metal shelf that they have for kitchens, the ones with the screens really cheap.  Bend it around like a cage so you can leave the optical cable and the RCA's in the back, then get right angles and leave the front plugged in.

Search Target Rack for what I am talking about.
mics & cameras

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »
Will,

I really think you should go no smaller than a Nova 5, reason...

I had pair 391's (in tupperware which was smaller than pelican), wal mart lith ion, UA-5, 2 jb3's, vert bar, clamp, and 15' mini star quad, and two sabra mounts (easily collapsable) and it barely fit in the bag.  You will have much more stuff, but with some creative packing you should be alright.

For the UA-5 get a white metal shelf that they have for kitchens, the ones with the screens really cheap.  Bend it around like a cage so you can leave the optical cable and the RCA's in the back, then get right angles and leave the front plugged in.

Search Target Rack for what I am talking about.

thanks as usual
+t
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rockumal

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 11:09:35 PM »
I dunno about backpacks as gear bags.  I've always been paranoid about some security/admin. person getting picky if a policy bans backpacks and not letting me in...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »
I dunno about backpacks as gear bags.  I've always been paranoid about some security/admin. person getting picky if a policy bans backpacks and not letting me in...
what do you use?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »

that almost happened to me last night, the guy at the door told me the backpack (rakgear) would have to go back to the car, i had already been talking to another security guard about getting audio gear in for Scofield, as soon as I got the ok from the venue the door guy didn't care it was a backpack. i can definately understand your aprehension about using a backpack, but I would guess that they would apply the policy to any bag aside from a chicks purse.

i love the rakgear bag though, so much space, yeah its big, but oh so nice to be able to leave everything pretty much set up without worrying about cramping cables or anything like that. plus i prefer having a backpack on while standing in line or walking around with the gear. i would bet no matter which bag you decide on, if it doesn't work for you, someone here would probably take it off your hands. but of course YMMV
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 01:34:49 PM »
oh so nice to be able to leave everything pretty much set up without worrying about cramping cables or anything like that. plus i prefer having a backpack on while standing in line or walking around with the gear.

My Nova 5 has all my gear setup without any cramping of cables at all.  I just plug the battery cable in, fly my mics, plug the xlr's in and i'm golden.  Ready to run in just a couple of minutes depending on how light or dark the room is. 

I have been turned away at a few venues when I ran a friend's rig which was in a backpack and have never has those types of issues with the Nova 5.  It is fairly small and compact has a comfortable should strap and you can even order the backpack style should straps for very little.  I always found when running a backpack style bag that it enevitably always became a mess and I had to spent time that I didn't want to to clean the bag up when I got home.

Another positive about the Nova 5 is that it fits perfectly sideways in the narrowest of arena/shed/stadium seats.  Also it has a built in rain fly to keep you gear dry from rain/beer/drunks.   

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
I'm gonna try the Mountainsmith Vibe II lumbar pack for stealthing - haven't seen it in person yet, but it looks like it should fit:

Jukebox 3
AD-20
Soundpro Battery Box
SVU-1
PowerRunner 2300

Anyone seen this?
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com