Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me spend somebody elses money!!  (Read 6543 times)

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Help me spend somebody elses money!!
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
Hey all. The owner of a local venue wants to put together a rig and has asked for help. He thought he wanted to spend around $600-$750 but i explained the virus also known as the upgrade bug and have him up to $1000 probably. He likes the sbd/mic(onstage) mixes we've done at his place so it definitely needs to be a 4 channel setup. It doesn't necessarily need to be a 24 bit rig but that would be a bonus. He's got a mackie 1202 mixer that he can use but he would also like to record his little group when they play other places so he needs to be able to run off batteries. I thought the Ua5 with possibly a Jb3 behind it might be a good place to start. Obviously that leaves a bunch of mics that would fit in his budget. What ideas do you guys have? Thanks.

Frank
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help me spend somebody elses money!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »
IMO if he wants to do matrixes he'd be best off getting a device that will allow him to mix in post. If you can get him up to $1k a setup of something like a used set of studio projects c4s and a used r-4 would be decent for 4 channel stuff.

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
I agree with you about mixing in post and explained that to him. He's not real handy with the computer yet so he kinda had this blank look on his face when i talked about that. ;D  If I could squeeze a few more hundred bucks out of him then I think that would be a real good option for him and save him from upgrading as soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
I agree with Shawn.  If he really wants four channel capacity, and particularly if he is less then fully adept at taping and/or computers, anything else would make life really difficult.  He could try a portable mixer, and mixing on the fly, but you get that one try, and that is it, for better or worse.  A used modded R-4 would, at least at the beginnng, obviate the need for anything else, other than mics, cables, stand and the usual equipment.  He  is going to have to learn how to use a computer, and some of the usual software under any circumstances, so just teach him Audacity or Samplitude or another relatively easy and cheap, multi-track program.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:37 PM »
Im saying a pair of used C4's (like Todd's in the YS  ;))  and a R-4 . 
could run a pair of card or omni's from the stage lip pointed outwards towards the crowd and then take a feed from the house mix. 
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »
Does he really need or want to run a 4 channel recording? Would he be able to handle the post for every show? If not you may want to just get him an AT825 (great stereo mic for a few hundred bucks) a four channel mixer, and a CD burner or some sort of recorder. I don't know the layout of the venue but you can probably ceiling mount it somewhere above or not far out from the stage. Run cables to the mixer/recorder permanent location. Do an on the fly matrix every night to the recorder. He can probably handle setting the levels and not letting it clip with little effort. Then he can have a 2 track that needs little to not post production.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:24:46 AM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:44:12 AM »
Does he really need or want to run a 4 channel recording? Would he be able to handle the post for every show? If not you may want to just get him an AT825 (great stereo mic for a few hundred bucks) a four channel mixer, and a CD burner or some sort of recorder. I don't know the layout of the venue but you can probably ceiling mount it somewhere above or not far out from the stage. Run cables to the mixer/recorder permanent location. Do an on the fly matrix every night to the recorder. He can probably handle setting the levels and not letting it clip with little effort. Then he can have a 2 track that needs little to not post production.

Agree.  4 channel matrixes done in post are definitely not in this guy's mind, I'm sure (based on the info you've provided).  My guess is if he had to do much post he'd probably bail after a fairly short time.  Club owners have a lot more to worry about than mixing a recording after the fact.

I'd second the suggestion for a stereo mic (perhaps a permanent install over the stage) and some sort of burner/recorder at FOH.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
The reason we like to run 4 channel in this place is because it's small, the stage is maybe 6 inches off the ground, very rarely are more than half the instruments mic'd, the pa is sometimes less than head high and once the crowd fills in there is no direct line to the sound. I've hung mics from the ceiling with half descent results when it's not crowded. As stated he's got a mixer he can use but also wants to be portable for when he and his friends play elsewhere and might need to go with battery power and also not be a permannent mounted thing. Here's a couple of shots of the stage area. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions fellas.

AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »
Ceiling mount split omnis on stage (ADK51TLs ideal, so you can switch patterns if need be), followed by a UA5 > whatever (JB3, MT, etc.).  This will all come in around 1K.  I agree that there's now way this guy wants to get into post production mixing.  If there's a chance you're interested in doing all that, it'd be worth it.  Have fun!   ;D
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 04:14:45 PM »
Damn...welcome to Schoeps country.....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

J.T.L

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
You can only do so much w/ the palm room it seems, so just ceiling mount an LSD2 a little closer than where the mount is now. Onstage there is risky when the house is packed ;)

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Onstage there is risky when the house is packed ;)

You would know! ;)
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 06:50:49 PM »
Damn...welcome to Schoeps country.....

Yea... looks like an Outformation show!
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

easy jim

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 08:00:19 PM »
For that room, maybe ceiling mount a split pair of PZM/boundary layer mics and run the cables to his Mackie at FOH.  Just add a recorder of your favorite flavor/budgetary ability.  I know that does not help with portability, but it may be a good way to deal with his venue on the cheap and leave some $ in the budget for travelin' mics and a pre-amp. or a field power solution for his Mackie (I had a buddy who would bring a Mackie 1202 to shows all the time with a motorcycle battery SLA rig to power it).

Some decent/good PZMs should be pretty cheap to set up, in the $1-300 range, depending on the manfacturer/model.  Crown is probably a good place to start, although lots of other companies make PZM/boundary layer mics.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
For that room, maybe ceiling mount a split pair of PZM/boundary layer mics and run the cables to his Mackie at FOH.  Just add a recorder of your favorite flavor/budgetary ability.  I know that does not help with portability, but it may be a good way to deal with his venue on the cheap and leave some $ in the budget for travelin' mics and a pre-amp. or a field power solution for his Mackie (I had a buddy who would bring a Mackie 1202 to shows all the time with a motorcycle battery SLA rig to power it).

Some decent/good PZMs should be pretty cheap to set up, in the $1-300 range, depending on the manfacturer/model.  Crown is probably a good place to start, although lots of other companies make PZM/boundary layer mics.

I'm very curious to know what a pzm would sound like for music.  I've only used it for non-musical application, and only 2x.    Can you post anything here to listen to, Jim?
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com