Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Concert Recording help  (Read 7830 times)

Offline bja5150

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Concert Recording help
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »
I have been helping out a band in Portland that is just awesome doing the usual street team stuff....flyers and handouts. I have been thinking about helping recording a live show to give them something cool to sell and not to mention something cool to keep. I would think having the soundboard would be best vs the recorder with mic to get the best possible band sound even though the crowd sound can really make a live recording. I was wondering is there any kind of Soundboard recording tutorial or luive recording kind of help? The band has a show at the end of the month that is a big show for them and I thought that would be a great one to archive and record. For me, the easier the better especially since I am new to this. I am into audio and video and I know the more you spend the better it is. So what would be something simple and relatively inexpensive? Accessories and so on? If there is anything else to thrown in feel free. I appreicate your time and I hope I can get something cool sounding and the end of the month....

Brent

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Concert Recording help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:56:59 PM »
So what would be something simple and relatively inexpensive? Accessories and so on? If there is anything else to thrown in feel free. I appreicate your time and I hope I can get something cool sounding and the end of the month....

I'd say an iRiver, NJB3 or even R09 if you can spend a bit more.

Some topics that might help you:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79197.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73667.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91007.0.html

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »
So what would be something simple and relatively inexpensive?

Relatively inexpensive means different things to different people.  Stating a ballpark budget, in dollars, will help fellow TSers develop useful recommendations (though some still will ignore the budget outright).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
used minidisc, try a sharp on e bay. should be able to get one for under a hundred. :bigsmile:

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
You could also post on the Team Boards in the Portland, Or Tapers thread......someone there might even be cool enough to come out and help you.  Pretty nice people, those Portland guys.

Offline Jambo2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:03:06 AM »
Something you might want to bear in mind is that, especially in smaller venues, the mix coming through the PA (soundboard) might not be what you expect.  If they're using a decent backline then you'll find the soundboard mix to have VERY loud vocals, with quiet guitars/bass and drums.  Of course, it'll vary and the avoidance of crowd noise will be nice, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Offline bja5150

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:18:01 AM »
Money seems to always be far and in between as always as it seems lately.....but I could probably afford something around $100. If there is something really worlds better and not too much more I would seriously consider the upgrade. I have always been the type to get something I can grow into and not grow out of...

Brent

Offline bja5150

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:20:54 AM »
I forgot to ask are the hard drive machines the way to go now? I remember the DAT was the standard for good quality bootlegs of bands I would get stuff for at times and now I have read companies like Sony have discontinued alot of them and their supplies. That is a drag.

Brent

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »
I forgot to ask are the hard drive machines the way to go now? I remember the DAT was the standard for good quality bootlegs of bands I would get stuff for at times and now I have read companies like Sony have discontinued alot of them and their supplies. That is a drag.

Brent
FYI, your statement implies bad stuff, read this: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,1152.0.html
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
I could probably afford something around $100.

Read the first reply then  ;D

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:16:10 PM »
For $100 your only option is a mini disc. Look for one in the yard sale or ebay. I went through 4-5 md’s before I got a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (JB3). If you can afford the extra ~50 Id get a jb3 or iriver. The only other things you will need will be an 1/8th>1/8th stereo cable, and an RCA>1/8th stereo cable (which you could get at radio shack) and you will be good to go at the vast majority of soundboards. Then just play it back into your computer via your soundcard and record using your program of choice. I know all kinds of people will think that this isnt the best option due to the additional a/d conversion, but unless you are ready to make taping a full time hobby, IME, you aren’t going to get much better quality without a significant investment of time and money.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »
I bet you could pick up a used rockboxable (3G) ipod for around 100.00 With this I believe you could record and transfer in lossless digital. Standard MD is compressed, and portables don't have any way to digitally transfer your music from the disc to a computer. Also, regular MDs don't like bass, so you might have trouble getting a good SBD with it. I have recordings from a MZ-R70 where the bass was too heavy and they are absolutely unlistenable. I'd say either try and find a High-MD (which does transfer digitally, and records in PCM 16/44), or skip MD altogether.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
I wouldn't use an ipod, notoriously unstable and unreliable for recording, keep an eye on ebay or craigslist for a h120 or h320 and you can pick one off for under 100, i got a h120 off craiglist with all accessories delivered for 75.00. Just have patience

Offline J.Maye

• Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 01:52:25 PM »
I bet you could pick up a used rockboxable (3G) ipod for around 100.00 With this I believe you could record and transfer in lossless digital. Standard MD is compressed, and portables don't have any way to digitally transfer your music from the disc to a computer. Also, regular MDs don't like bass, so you might have trouble getting a good SBD with it. I have recordings from a MZ-R70 where the bass was too heavy and they are absolutely unlistenable. I'd say either try and find a High-MD (which does transfer digitally, and records in PCM 16/44), or skip MD altogether.

Meh, I used a MD for years. Non-hi md, just normal md. I never had a show overload specifically from bass. You might get too hot of a signal from the SBD, but many times they can turn it down for you. Sometimes they cant and you get what you get, all depends onthe board. Some attenuators would solve this problem. I think the problem is with the overall signal being too hot, not specifically being bass heavy. YMMV, but I pulled dozens of SBD RCA>MD recordings in my formative years and they sound great. You would be hard pressed to tell me there was an additional a/d step, or the attrac coding or whatever, unless you have a super high end stero, in which case youprolly dont need to buy a $100 MD setup.  ;D  
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline J.Maye

• Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
I wouldn't use an ipod, notoriously unstable and unreliable for recording, keep an eye on ebay or craigslist for a h120 or h320 and you can pick one off for under 100, i got a h120 off craiglist with all accessories delivered for 75.00. Just have patience

I agree, but thats a lofty goal of a fat deal on an iriver considering he wants it by the end of the month. I havent seen them going for less then 150 lately myself. If you find an iriver for under $100 purchase it immediately (assuming it works, has a good HD, and a good batt).
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com