Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Windscreen For Schoeps MK4???  (Read 2997 times)

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best Windscreen For Schoeps MK4???
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »
Hi,

I know its been talked about before as I read some it, but what is the best windscreen for an MK2 for stealth recording?

I have read that the Schoeps B-5D Hollow Foam Windscreen is good for moderate wind. ($51)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387054-REG/Schoeps_B_5_D_B_5D_Hollow_Foam_Windscreen.html

I also saw these from Windtech  ($6.75)
http://www.photogitems.com/Schoeps-CCMU-CMCMK-Microphone-windscreen-p/sc5071-13.htm

For inside a blues club I would probably use the windtech, but what is best for outside stealth use for large stadium shows?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Best Windscreen For Schoeps MK4???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
I use the Windtech ones.  I only use screens when absolutely necessary i.e. the Fillmore in SF or some outdoor shows.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
It's difficult to answer this question if you're taping stealth and haven't specified the method. I'll assume you're using the classic 'beatnik hat' method in which there is some additional space for the windscreen. If you're using another method, you'll have to use your judgement. Also, you're subject line says MK4, but the content of your post says MK2. Clarification would help.

First, the hat itself will block 'some' wind. It won't help at all with a moderately stiff breeze, but on a calm day outdoors you're probably OK, maybe even better off, not running screens at all.

The B5D probably can't be used at all. These windscreens have a plastic cage inside of them and are bulky, thus they would never fit comfortably inside a hat. For Schoeps screens, I would recommend the B1 or the B5. The B1 isn't really meant to be a windscreen, it's more a dust guard, but it would help with very light breeze. It's like a slip-cover for the capsules and is very small. The B5s are more robust, but still small enough to fit inside a hat. The windtech screens are not my favorite because they're bulky, but they're cheap and certainly effective.

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the info. The MK2 was a mistake, Im using MK4's

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:55 PM »
b5d is the best, if you aint putting them in a hat.  the plastic sleeve the caps slides into makes me feel much better when i get around a moisture issue.

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
Hi,

I know its been talked about before as I read some it, but what is the best windscreen for an MK2 for stealth recording?

I have read that the Schoeps B-5D Hollow Foam Windscreen is good for moderate wind. ($51)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387054-REG/Schoeps_B_5_D_B_5D_Hollow_Foam_Windscreen.html

I also saw these from Windtech  ($6.75)
http://www.photogitems.com/Schoeps-CCMU-CMCMK-Microphone-windscreen-p/sc5071-13.htm

For inside a blues club I would probably use the windtech, but what is best for outside stealth use for large stadium shows?

Thanks,

Dave

I use the windtechs 100% of the time for indoor shows to protect against fans/AC's and smoke/dust, etc.  Sometimes I forget to put them on and while this is rare I always regret it as I find myself hearing turbulence between songs. 

For outdoor non-stealth shows I use Schoeps W5D's (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387056-REG/Schoeps_W_5_D_W5D_3_5_Hollow_Foam.html) as they are more effective than the B5D in moderate to heavy wind.  I also have the Big Ass Shure's for heavy wind and when the wind is totally out of control (i.e. Jam Cruise) I use the W5D's and dead muppets combo but I sacrifice some HF response in doing so. 

When I used to stealth outdoors having the mics inside a hat the cloth from the hat with with no windscreens was usually enough protection from phasing issues due to wind.  Never ran windscreens and a hat when  >:D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:09:00 PM by microburst »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
$80 windscreen.  Hope it doesn't blow off in the wind.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com