Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage with new Rig - Advice Needed  (Read 6842 times)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Maiden Voyage with new Rig - Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »
I'll second everything Earmonger said. (I run the same setup as him: CA-14 cards > Ugly > M10.) I usually find I end up pushing my gain knob to 8 or 9 without going past -12dB, even at louder shows, but even down around 5 without a preamp it would probably be fine. Hiss doesn't really kick in until the levels are real low.

As for cards vs. omnis, I'm a fan of omni sound as well, but they're less forgiving: You get room echo, chatter from the people behind you, etc. I forget who on here said it (possibly NYCtaper), but omnis are best for situations where the sound is perfect where you're standing; if you want to zero in on the stage and ignore the rest of the room, you'll probably do better with cards.

I'd probably go with cards in both the situations you describe (to filter out the chatter in the first case, and the room echo in the second since you'll be a ways back), but really there's no wrong answer. It's just a matter of which tradeoffs you choose to make, and which annoys you more: thinner sound or muddier sound.

Offline Highdesert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:25 PM »
Hey! I want to apologize for this tardy and incomplete update on the maiden voyage. Tapes turned out great! Thanks guys! I'm thinking 75% this place, 24% luck and 1% 20 years of taping. Man..no limiter and I rode it (unwittingly) right to the max. No headroom to spare, never went over, no distortion/clipping. That was luck. I have saved these settings for the next time I tape this room. Also impressed at how directional the Cards are. I was positive the opening acts tape was complete garbage. The worst drunk chit chat crowd sitting behind me and to my left (along with the bar). Even that is listenable and even..gasp..enjoyable. After the 1st act, I gave up our seats , moved around and found a pretty damn good spot to tape from for the main act. Anyways this gives way to a few more questions I have about this rig, which will come later. In the meantime, Thanks!

Marshall7

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 12:10:12 AM »
Good to hear...but really, if you were that close to clipping ("no headroom to spare") do you really want to keep the same settings for next time?  By the sounds of it, any little volume boost would have ruined your recording.  Why risk it?

Offline Highdesert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Not at all. It turned out perfect but I was playing with fire. The settings are a starting point. If I use for this rig at this room next month i'd take it down on the ugly II from 1.5 to 1 (or?) to be safe. PCM vol 4 to 3 maybe? I like as little headroom as possible. Sounds great, But I also want to always error on the side of caution..

Offline Highdesert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:13 AM »
(Happily) surprized with the CA 11 card mics and ugly II. 20 years with Sony ECM 959A mics/dat. Fiddled around with core sound cards 2001/02? went back to the 959A. Core sound cards clarity was pretty good. Bass sucked. 959A to much bass but I'd rather the bass there to get rid of after the fact if necessary.. CA 11' cards enough bass there to enhance if so desired after the fact as compared to the core sound cards no bass there to enhance after the fact. Pretty impressed w/Mr Church and his efforts.  I went with his 11''s over the 14's because (at least in my readings) he seemed to prefer some of the CA 11s attributes.. Same room next (blues, 120 cap) , mid sized hall (rock, 1900 cap) after. Having fun taping. got the bug again. Could get expensive...Thanks again! Esp for the vol control, in/out duct tape reminder. Priceless stuff only Taperssection would remind one of.

Offline Highdesert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »
My second go around at the same venue with this rig last night. Same type of bands, same taping location. 1st set I adjusted the ugly II down to 1 from the 1.5 I did last time up here and left the PCM M10 at vol 4 . This made a very noticeable difference in volume. The 2nd set I took the Ugly II down to zero, leaving the PCM volume line in at 4 and again, the difference was exponential. I actually wish there was a 1.25 setting on the Ugly II. Anyways all turned out great. it is beginning to look like any foole could make a great tape with this rig. Thanks again for all the help. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:12:01 PM by Highdesert »

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
Awesome! Welcome back to the fold. Post a clip if you can. :)

Offline Highdesert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
I'm going to move up to small to medium sized halls late May and June and clips will follow if interested. The Maiden Voyages were at a very small room I discovered recently and basically everyone knows everyone. They'd have my ass pegged. I don't want to ruin a good thing. Selfishly, I hope no one else ever discovers this joint :)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »
I'm going to move up to small to medium sized halls late May and June and clips will follow if interested. The Maiden Voyages were at a very small room I discovered recently and basically everyone knows everyone. They'd have my ass pegged. I don't want to ruin a good thing. Selfishly, I hope no one else ever discovers this joint :)

High Desert in California?   Pappy & Harriets?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com