Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone here using a 3D printer to create accessories?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Anyone here using a 3D printer to create accessories?
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
Please forgive me if this is already covered, but I didn't find anything via Search. I'm strongly tempted to get an inexpensive 3D printer so that I can experiment with various mike mounting accessories.

Is anyone here already doing this? If so, any advice for newbies, such as materials or printers to prefer or avoid?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Anyone here using a 3D printer to create accessories?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
I briefly looked at 3d printers and read several reviews that suggested that the inexpensive ones are problematic/time consuming to set up, and keep operating. 

Another option is to design the parts and have them made by a service like shapeways.com.  That leaves you free to concentrate on the design and avoids the expensive and aggravation of dealing with a cheap 3d printer.

SRSrecordings already has several mic mounts available on the shapeways site.  There's a thread here on his ORTF mount in the retail section.  He has designed some custom mounts on request.  Could be a resource to have something made or discuss the process of having shapeways actually print an item. 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks, I've seen the references to Shapeways in the threads referred to. But is there no one here in the forum who uses one so far?

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
Plenty of positive reviews in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170480.0

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
Thanks, I've seen the references to Shapeways in the threads referred to. But is there no one here in the forum who uses one so far?

I have bought the Shapeways ORTF mounts for the Gefell M300 and the Sennheiser MKH 8040.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »
A Highschool science teacher friend has one and is getting more and more well versed at using it.  He's up at a additive-manufacturing conference currently and will be teaching a class for local teachers on using it this summer.  I'll be getting some hands on time in the off-hours but haven't yet seen it or played around with it yet.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
i am planning on drawing up vintage CMMT parts this summer in CAD and having the brass parts milled/plastic printed in the near future

I will definitely post on progress, etc
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:40:39 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
John W., thanks, but when I asked, "is there no one here in the forum who uses one so far?" I really meant: Does anyone one here own and/or use a 3D printer, or not?

It's looking increasingly like "not."

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:04:17 PM by DSatz »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »
DSatz have you looked at ExOne?  www.exone.com

I see a big future in 3D printing but equate owning a cheap printer the same as photo printers. Not worth it in the long run, better to farm out the printing to be done on a good printer.  If you are planning to do a lot of printing then it could be worthwhile to buy a better printer.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com