Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 8  (Read 9847 times)

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 8
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2024, 09:13:08 AM »
^ Interesting!

How is physical sync between Korg faders and MP faders accomplished? No motors in the mp, so ?

Asking primarily b/c SD engineers cite this issue as the reason that wingman doesn't deal w faders/levels.

Thanks

The MP faders are encoders not potentiometers, so the position does not dictate any "value".

I also have a NanoKontrol2. When the MixPre detects the presence of the controller, it disables the knobs on the recorder, as well as menu pan and solo control. Arming is still possible from both the menu and the control surface. It’s a pretty handy little device, as goodcooker has said.
The MixPre gain knobs, BTW, while technically encoders, have stops on them so function as potentiometers.  The side headphone/select knob is, however, a true encoder.
The Wingman issue is interesting, because if it assumed control of the gain pots, and was at a distance from the MixPre, there would be no local control if someone needed to make changes at the machine in a hurry. Sound Devices probably felt that wasn’t acceptable. The control surfaces are at least tethered to the MixPre by the USB cable, keeping them relatively close.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2024, 09:32:10 AM »
^ Not sure about this one specifically, but in many implementations where an alternate set of non-motorized encoder is able to be used in parallel with the primary encoder to  control the same variable function, control of the function is 'handed off' back and forth from one to the other in the following way-  The encoder which has a physical position that doesn't match up with the current value of the function doesn't immediately become active as it is moved, but 'takes over' as soon as it passes the 'sync-up point' with the other encoder.  That encoder then remains active until the other one is moved past the new 'sync-up point'.  In this way control over the function remains smooth, rather than suddenly jumping to a new value each time the 'other' encoder is moved.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2024, 12:33:17 PM »
^ Not sure about this one specifically, but in many implementations where an alternate set of non-motorized encoder is able to be used in parallel with the primary encoder to  control the same variable function, control of the function is 'handed off' back and forth from one to the other in the following way-  The encoder which has a physical position that doesn't match up with the current value of the function doesn't immediately become active as it is moved, but 'takes over' as soon as it passes the 'sync-up point' with the other encoder.  That encoder then remains active until the other one is moved past the new 'sync-up point'.  In this way control over the function remains smooth, rather than suddenly jumping to a new value each time the 'other' encoder is moved.

I still have more testing to do but with the control surface connected it disables the knobs. Turning the knobs does nothing. When the control surface is disconnected it behaves very much like what you are saying with the physical location of the knob matching up with the setting it was left with by the encoder before any values change. That way it doesn't jump to a weird value - like when physical gain knobs that control digital gain are moved when a recorder is on hold then all of a sudden when the hold is released it jumps way off. My Tascam DR701d was like that - a knob got moved while it was on hold and when I took the hold off one channel was brickwalling like crazy.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2024, 02:01:52 PM »
I confirm, as goodcooker has stated, that the front control knobs are completely deactivated while the control surface is plugged in. I checked this to be true on both my MixPre-6 original and MixPre-6mkii recorders. Unplugging the control surface “hot” immediately jumps the gain to level normally set by the knob, wherever it may be. Hot plugging the control surface IN has a different behavior. The gain drops to zero/off no matter where the surface faders are set, but jump to their level setting as soon as they are moved. I’m not in the habit of pushing in or pulling out connections while the recorder is powered up, but it’s interesting to see that it can be done without crashing the recorder.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2024, 07:38:11 PM »
Was just poking around on the SD site to see if there was more recent firmware than 9.01 for my mixpre 6 original recipe... (nope, not yet)
I typed in my serial number and found that I have a license for the Ambisonic plugin, from 2018!

Check the link with your machine's serial # to see if you got a freebie!?
https://store.sounddevices.com/device-features/

I don't recall purchasing it, but the deck recognizes it.
It works too, but DO NOT SWITCH IT ON WHILE MONITORING LOUDLY, oops that was ugly.

Was also reminding myself about the approved media list.
https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

Newegg has the Sandisk 256's for $38 apiece, spamazon same price but low stock alert.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-00G6-000A2
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2024, 11:19:59 PM »
Does anyone else have the Cable Techniques MX-Powersled and a MixPre 6II that is having trouble getting the sled to click in place? It goes in the slot, but will not snap in place and can easily be pulled out of place.

I liked the metal housing but if this doesnt work, will be getting the plastic SD version.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com