Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone ever used DPA4061 > 9V BBox > Tascam dr-2D (mic-in w/low-sens option) ?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hello,

Does anyone ever used DPA4061 > 9V standard BBox (no gain addition) > Tascam dr-2D (mic-in w/low-sens option) for taping an ear-bleeding blues/rock show in a 300/500 capacity club?
What would be a safe recording level for stack or stage lip taping? Would that setup even be worth considering?

I know loud or ear-bleeding loud doesn't actually mean a thing, but think "Nirvana" or "Foo Fighters" in a club show. You get the picture.

I'm getting great results with a pair of 4.7k modded MM-HLSC-1's (which are Sennheiser MKE cardioïd caps) powered by a standard Soundprofessionals 9V battery-box (no additional gain) > Tascam dr-2D (mic-in w/low-sens option + levels @ 88/100).

I also used them powered by a Church Audio CA-9100 (9V) preamp (w/gain set to maximum) > Edirol R-09HR (line-in + levels set @ 38/80 (which is unity gain on the Edirol)) with great results.

I'm getting very low levels when using DPA4061 > 9V standard BBox (no gain addition) > Tascam dr-2D (line-in + levels @ 100/100). That's why I ask.

I've read the minimum level for recording mic-in using the Tascam dr-2D is 67/100. Maybe I should try the DUAL REC feature which consists in recording two files with different levels at the same time?
File #1: 67/100. File #2: 87/100.

I know I should check the levels while recording as the Tascam allows to adjust them on-the-fly, but there are some in-concert situations where you just can't get a digital recorder out of your pocket.

Any advice welcome :)
Thanks !!
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
Use Dpa with batery box. Plug it to "Mic  in" in Dr2d. Set low sensitivity and some levels (no idea how much, it's best to set it up when recording). The dual recording is good idea. Set the dual recodring to 6 db or 12 db lower than main track. You have backup when primary recording is clipped.

I've read the minimum level for recording mic-in using the Tascam dr-2D is 67/100. Maybe I should try the DUAL REC feature which consists in recording two files with different levels at the same time?
67/95 probably means amplification for the line in signal. When you plug in "Mic in" and you set low sensitivity and levels to 67 db, it is the same as you plug in "Line in" with levels 95 db. Do not set 100 db with "Line in", clipping signaling does not work well at this level.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:36:20 AM by kuba e »

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Set low sensitivity and some levels (no idea how much, it's best to set it up when recording).

Yeah well, that's the problem: I won't be able to set it up when recording as I'll have to stay discreet.
That's why I asked for feedbacks.

I think I'll be good with the following settings (knowing that you should not go lower than 67/100 using mic-in/low sensivity) :
  • mic-in
  • low sensivity
  • levels set @ 79/100 (67+12)
  • DUAL_REC with backup track set @ -12dB (79-12 = 67)

Alternate solution :
  • line-in
  • levels set @ 95/100
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
Fandelive, how the recording went off? Were the levels at 79/100 too high? Had you some clipping?

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
The way to test this, or any new setup, is to go to a similar type show in the same venue with similar volume, etc. try to record it, see how it comes out. One that you don't care if it's perfect or not, record a couple songs with one setting, try another, etc. you can even speak into your mics to say what the settings are. Then listen at home and decide what might work well for the show you want to get perfect.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com