Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 98371 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »
OK, here are some actual measurements. Open-circuit voltage with no mikes connected, 46.8 Volts. Connect one CMC 541 mike and the voltage at the unused input drops to 46.0 Volts. Connect a second CMC 541 mike and this drops another 0.8 Volts to 45.2 Volts, which is still just fine.

Add a CMC 58 (for double M/S, perhaps) and now the voltage on the unused input is 44.5, which as I've been saying is quite OK although it implies some small (ca. 200 Ohm) non-standard series resistance between the regulated supply and the phantom resistor pairs--though that low a value wouldn't give them much extra filtering of the DC or protection from inrush current, so it's hard to imagine the motive for it.

Anyway with another CMC 58 connected to the fourth input there are no more unused inputs, so if I unscrew the connector shell and measure across the terminals I get 31.2 Volts. Now 2 mA through a 6.8 kOhm resistor gives a 13.6-Volt drop while 2.5 mA gives 17 Volts. Since even the lower of the two figures doesn't quite add up to the 43.8-ish voltage I would expect, I have to suspect that the phantom resistors are lower in value than the nominal 6.8 kOhms. And potentially (no pun unintended) that could also be quite OK--the absolute tolerance is 20% as I recall, as long as the resistors are matched within each pair to within 0.4%.

So to me it still seems that as far as the microphones are concerned, this recorder's powering is a little below its own specifications. It's probably just barely OK for running four Schoeps CMC 5--s even though the supply by that point has fallen slightly below the official standard--but can the circuit put out nearly its maximum current for an indefinite length of time without risk of failure? Unless I can find out more, I'd have qualms about running this class of equipment that way on a steady basis.

I bought the $65 extra insurance policy and I suppose I could plug in four testers and leave the unit running for a week to see whether its power supply burns out or not, but if it does burn out and the insurance won't pay for a new one ... Main thing is, though, people with even higher-current microphones such as Shure KSMs, CAD Equiteks or Earthworks should continue to use outboard phantom supplies with this recorder.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:34:26 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:10 AM »
R-44 Ver.1.03 System Program - downloadable for a long time from Edirol - but does anyone know what this firmware upgrade actually does?  I've looked through all the R-44 threads here and I can't find a mention of it.

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »

--best regards

We have no idea what caused it.  I do know that some of the light boards I've used you MUST turn your cell phone off or leave it very far away from the desk or else it can cause a reboot of the system.  Maybe some strong RFI signal messed us up?  And how does a 744 recording four track lose it's sync in the deck....very strange.  Yet the seond set came out fine for both of us and we didn't do anything different.

Most likely completely unrelated, but your story reminded me of something. Once I was editing video in the field on a laptop with an external lacie hard disc connected via firewire. I left my mobile phone near the lacie. When the phone rang, the lacie shut down. I thought a fluke, but but being a spazz, later I left my phone again near the hard disc and again it rang and again the disc shut down (and of course I lost all my work)

Was a while ago, maybe technology has changed...

Bit of a thread jack, apologies. Back to R44 business  :)

cb

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 02:05:22 PM by krsb »
Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »
Checking in.. finally decided to jump on the R44 train and ordered one this morning.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
It is "the shiznit" (as the kids say these days). 
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Checking in.. finally decided to jump on the R44 train and ordered one this morning.

Ordered mine last night (Oade Concert Mod).
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »
^^^
Same. Too bad we didn't do this 2 weeks ago.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
From what I'm gathering, Wanee is going to look like an R-44 user's convention.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »
So mine came in this morning and I've read through all three of these topics.  Thanks to lee for answering the power-cable question three times, and everyone else for some really useful information.

I guess my major question is the phantom issue running 4-mics directly into the R-44.  I'll be running a pair of KM-150s and a pair of DPA 4021s.  I also have the option of running the 150s into the Mini-me and connecting digitally to the R-44.

The entire discussion begun by DSatz about phantom power equations is pretty much completely over my head, so I guess the question is whether these four will power correctly.

I did run these four together once with a borrowed R-4 and the results were truly outstanding (thanks Keith).

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »
I've run 4 phantom many times without any issues that I know of (2xAKG480+2xC4).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »
I've run 4 phantom many times without any issues that I know of (2xAKG480+2xC4).

same here...

2 x MC930 & 2 x Naiant XT
2 x MC930 & 2 x AKG 461

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
Danlynch, the phantom powering of my R-44 is a little below spec when driving four transformerless Schoeps microphones, and I prefer to avoid that situation for myself. But both the Neumann KM 150 and the DPA 4021 draw distinctly less current than the Schoeps; I wouldn't worry about using pairs of those.

Is that clearer?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
Anyone ever use a batterygeek 10-14-88 to power the R-44? I've read they work with the R-4 so I assume they would work with this as well. The battery is (10V~14V) 8A max current output. Im not to good with specs, I assume since the R-44 takes 9-16V/1.2A, its all good on voltage, just wondering about the 8A max current...

EDIT: after a little crash course in electricity, I've learned the difference between voltage & amperage. The voltage is the the amount of power, while amperage is how fast it flows from the battery to the device, or current. Thus, on the 10-14-88, the maximum flow of power, or current, it can supply, is 8A. Since the R-44 only requires 1.2A, this is well within the limits of that particular battery. And since the voltage the batt supplies is also within the range the R-44 accepts, this battery should work just fine. (granted one of the connector tips fits), not to mention power it FOREVER, you can't kill this thing!

Im sure you folks already know all this, but Im just all proud of myself for figuring it out.  ;D Please let me know if Im off base here...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:01:39 PM by skotdee »

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
Danlynch, the phantom powering of my R-44 is a little below spec when driving four transformerless Schoeps microphones, and I prefer to avoid that situation for myself. But both the Neumann KM 150 and the DPA 4021 draw distinctly less current than the Schoeps; I wouldn't worry about using pairs of those.

Is that clearer?

--best regards

Absolutely, thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com