Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 98462 times)

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
I just ordered mine

:yahoo: :nightfevah: :yahoo:

I just ordered mine!

:nightfevah: :yahoo: :nightfevah:

WooHoo!!!

Besides longing for the flexibility afforded by the 2 extra channels, I've been pretty sick of the cheeziness and pathetic analog input stage of my Microtrack, and have been scheming for pretty much the year+ these TS threads have gone on to pull it together for an R-44. Today was the day!

I went for the Oade super modded version, which, due to my profound respect for Ozpeter, I almost felt guilty about, as I cannot argue his point that there's no objective/measureable data supporting any superiority of any of the 'mods', nor is there even sufficient information to qualitatively describe what about them sounds different from 'stock'.  It would seem that most who buy a modified version assume that whoever would put the effort into these modifications, and possesses the knowhow to perform them, must know that they in fact improve the sound/performance of the device. I certainly was subscribing to that view, and perhaps still do to an (hopefully sober) extent.

I see it as similar to how we all know there are many high dollar mic pre's (studio and mobile) and most have their ardent devotees. Not all the most highly regarded ones show the best laboratory specs for linearity, distortion, noise, etc. They are 'flavors'. In the case of a modded recorder, one is simply trusting that he will like the flavor he orders. I trust that I will like the flavor Doug Oade has created based on my judgement of Doug. As an old school Deadhead, I'm like: "This guy created The Brick for cryin' out loud!" He was the guy working hardest to get the best possible live concert capture back when the Dead were the only band even allowing that. He's like the grandaddy of concert taping! One could argue these are silly reasons for believing his tweaks produce a better piece of kit, but I don't find it unreasonable to suppose that his status as an extremely seasoned veteran recordist gives him credibility as to what could make a recorder sound "better". My own personal status makes me more than happy to trust his judgement  :)

Plus, I have at least heard a few Oade mod R-44 recordings, and they sounded quite nice to me. And over the years I've heard many superb recordings by Doug and/or made on equipment he built. It's a very warm fuzzy association for me, so, what the heck.

Not sure why I'm feeling the need to justify myself, the important thing is... [see beginiing of post]!

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
You'll be pleased, I'm sure.

And anyway, the best pleasures are the guilty ones!  (I speak on the basis of extensive research).

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
thanks for all your research Ozpeter and congratulations on your new purchase Sanaka.

The only thing I wish they had an update for is the file size selector. If I could set it to 1.75 GB it would make it much easier when editing in post, b/c if you have to add gain to any of your channels at 2GB you go beyond the 2GB file size making it impossible to work with unless you chop the file in half. I know it is not that big a deal but it would sure help out with workflow. Who has the direct support contact for Edirol? I will send them an email.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
The only thing I wish they had an update for is the file size selector.
Is there one?  Or are you saying there should be one?  I can't see such a thing in the menus on mine.

if you have to add gain to any of your channels at 2GB you go beyond the 2GB file size making it impossible to work with unless you chop the file in half.
I don't follow that at all - how are you doing what you are doing?  I wouldn't expect such a problem to arise at all.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
I think Louie is suggesting that there should be a menu option to set the maximum file size, after which the machine makes an auto-split.  The R-09 has such a function and lets you set the file size at 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB.  I too was surprised this feature was missing from the R-44, though I always use 2GB anyway.

I don't follow the part about gain changes increasing the file size bit though, unless the issue is the DAW  working in a higher bit-depth, which is common and would increase the file size.  That's not an issue with the software I use though so I'm speculating.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »
I think Louie is suggesting that there should be a menu option to set the maximum file size, after which the machine makes an auto-split.  The R-09 has such a function and lets you set the file size at 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB.  I too was surprised this feature was missing from the R-44, though I always use 2GB anyway.

I don't follow the part about gain changes increasing the file size bit though, unless the issue is the DAW  working in a higher bit-depth, which is common and would increase the file size.  That's not an issue with the software I use though so I'm speculating.

Wavelab 5 has this issue.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Soundforge 9.0 does not.

So who all here is running a V2 in front of the R44?  What settings do you use so the R44 is at unity?
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
I bet the increased file size is something small like more header data being appended by whatever destructive-based software/workflow is being used. Just enough to put you over the limit and cause problems for certain file systems or for certain software. I personally use Vegas in a non-destructive workflow, so when editing in my project, the originals never get modified at any step in the process.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
Soundforge 9.0 does not.

So who all here is running a V2 in front of the R44?  What settings do you use so the R44 is at unity?

yeah, but can you mix multiple channels in soundforge?

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
Soundforge 9.0 does not.

Select All and Copy 2.wav .  Open 1.wav Edit > Paste Special > Mix.  This brings up a window with option details for the mix.  It does not double the file size.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Soundforge 9.0 does not.

Select All and Copy 2.wav .  Open 1.wav Edit > Paste Special > Mix.  This brings up a window with option details for the mix.  It does not double the file size.

Anyone mixing multiple channels in SoundForge, and I might even argue anyone using SF for anything, would likely be WAY BETTER OFF using Vegas. Vegas completely fvcking rules. It has nearly the same interface as SF, so if you know SF, getting up to speed in Vegas will be pretty easy. Then, with Vegas, you basically have unlimited channels, both audio and video, multiple buses, full use of any VST plugin you have, the timeline supports almost every file type, be it audio or video, and that even includes dropping flac files right on the timeline. Plus, you get a completely non-destructive workflow that leaves your originals untouched, and you just render out a new file when needed. Did I mention you can just drop video files right on the timeline too? And easy controls for levels, panning, buttons for phase flip, muting, soloing, blah, blah. And oh yeah, FULL AUTOMATION (keyframing) of any VST that supports it, so automating riding levels, or even automating the threshold of a compressor, all a piece of cake. Also, you can be tweaking everything as you listen -- you can be slipping a SBD track relative to an AUD track as you listen to how it sounds, makes matrixing super-easy, etc. (There are a couple of things where SF makes more sense, but SF is a right click away from Vegas, so no biggie).

Anyway, just saying...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:31:32 PM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »

Anyone mixing multiple channels in SoundForge, and I might even argue anyone using SF for anything, would likely be WAY BETTER OFF using Vegas. ...

Anyway, just saying...

I use Vegas. Not much for audio work tho, mainly Video. I use it as it has the best audio support/workflow of any video application. The other alternative to Vegas (as it again has the same interface) is ACID.

The cheap version does a lot...

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/musicstudio

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/acidfamily.asp

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
Anyone mixing multiple channels in SoundForge, and I might even argue anyone using SF for anything, would likely be WAY BETTER OFF using Vegas.
Or Reaper.... the list is pretty endless.  And is discussed to death daily at http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
any of you ever had an issue with the headphone jack? mine seems to be getting a bit loose. When I touch the plug of my headphone it sort of comes and goes.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »
clean the headphone plug with rubbing alcohol real good, then try again.  Then you can move on to the jack if it still is flaky...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com