Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mono to stero ok?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Mono to stero ok?
« on: December 09, 2003, 02:42:13 PM »
I recorded a show last weekend and I listened to it and the right channel is a lot louder than the left (2 dbs or so).  I tried normailizing is SF 6, but it didnt exactly fix the problem.  Is it okay if I mix it to mono (using wavelab) and then split it into stereo?  Also does anyone have any special settings they use to normailze with on SF.  My recording is a little quite, but I did the RMS and it gave me (in my opinion) bad dynamic range.  Any help is always appreciated
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Mono to stero ok?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 02:43:48 PM »
if it's mono, it's mono... even if it is playing out of both the l/r channels.

try normalizing just the right channel
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 02:48:25 PM »
the other thing I did when I got a tape like this when I started out with the minidisc rig was to mix part of the louder channel with the other channel, and it boosted it up so it was listenable.  You lose most imaging...but get a listenable tape...

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 02:56:48 PM »
yeah try increasing the gain (volume) on the softer channel...then normalize using peak data, not rms.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 03:22:40 PM »
Also does anyone have any special settings they use to normailze with on SF.

I rarely ever use peak, but, in theory, using peak you should be able to go up to 99%...  I think you want to keep the RMS settings relatively low, but I cant remember the 'reasonable' number.

Heres some advice, based in personal preference (and I don't mind 'mastering' my recordings) - get the waves ultramaximizer plugins... (legally, of course... 8)) from what I have read, they are a multi-band compressor, as well as a volume booster tool... and even on its presets, it rocks...

HTH.

Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com