Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT-853's / Sony D8 - General Questions & Help Please!  (Read 10141 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:AT-853's / Sony D8 - General Questions & Help Please!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2004, 04:44:03 PM »
Ok... so you do get a higher SPL tolerance with the AT Phantom adapters.  Perhaps that's the difference between 9 volts (battery box) and 10 (effective output of the phantom adapters).  But still, he has no phantom source.  He's got the d8 and wants the mics and has no more money beyond that at this point.  Telling him to buy phantom adapters when he doesn't have a phantom source is not helping the originator of this post.  Sometimes what sounds better is not always feasible, given money, power and space considerations.

no doubt, but in RAT6666's last post he sounded like he was still interested in the digimodUA-5.  That's why I stuck with my recommendation.

I don't doubt for a minute that they make a difference.  But is it enough of a difference?  If he had the money I'm sure he'd buy better mics for stealth anyway.

Is it enough of a difference? We should be hearing from Nick soon, I hope.  What's the next step up? mk4s? ak40s? 603s?  that's only a $1-2000 increase

My original point was that the 853's will not take a direct 48v Phantom source.  Direct.  You need to buy an adapter, which makes it INdirect.  Again, the whole 48v never gets to the mic, it's stepped down to ~10v no matter how you slice it.

you didn't say "direct" in your original post, but that makes a lot more sense now.

My 853's have never given me mechanical clipping (what you get when you don't have enough phantom power), even at some of the loudest shows I've been to.  But then again, I haven't done much stealthing.  I prefer to tape bands that are OK with it. (another topic for another thread)

:-X

BTW, I'd love to see anyone TRY and stealth a ua-5 in their pants.  

maybe porphery can do it ;)

no hard feelings, joe, just a difference in opinion and ears

peace
~schwills

Offline drumminj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2004, 04:47:38 PM »
BTW, I'd love to see anyone TRY and stealth a ua-5 in their pants.  :)

I may just try it this year for SXSW.  We'll see.

I think all people were trying to do in this thread is make sure the information provided is accurate.  I wasn't recommending the AT version of the mics.  I didn't even read the original question posed.  I just wanted to chime in and make sure that whoever reads the thread doesn't walk away with incorrect info.

J

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2004, 04:49:27 PM »
Schwillber:

Ok... so we're straight.  No more flames.  

So I guess we definitely agree that the 853's don't suck.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 04:54:09 PM »
Schwillber:

Ok... so we're straight.  No more flames.  

So I guess we definitely agree that the 853's don't suck.

haha, from my experience, definitely not!

Offline Rat6666

• Taperssection Newbie
    • NJ Hot Air Balloon Rides
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2004, 05:55:39 PM »
Hey, I'm back!  And this thread is actually going places... Good deal.

I am interested in the digimod UA-5. However, I don't think I have much need for either the full-blown warm or presence mods, though (out of budget).

What are the AT853Rx's I keep hearing about? Is this a different mic pair than the SP 853's with Phantom power that I'm looking at, or is it the technical term for that specific setup?

As far as stealthing a UA-5... I could possibly stuff it in the bottom of my girlfriends handbag.
AT853a's > UA-5 > JB3

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 06:19:55 PM »
rat666, if you get the UA5 from oade you can always send it back to them in the future for the warm/presence mods upgrade. if you get the UA5 somewhere else...your s.o.l.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2004, 12:47:53 AM »
Hey, I'm back!  And this thread is actually going places... Good deal.

I am interested in the digimod UA-5. However, I don't think I have much need for either the full-blown warm or presence mods, though (out of budget).

What are the AT853Rx's I keep hearing about? Is this a different mic pair than the SP 853's with Phantom power that I'm looking at, or is it the technical term for that specific setup?

As far as stealthing a UA-5... I could possibly stuff it in the bottom of my girlfriends handbag.

The SP-CMC-4s are similar to the AT853a mics sold in pairs only by Sound Professionals.  They are most often seen with both mic cables modified into an 1/8" stereo mini termination and are powered by a Sound Professionals battery box.

The AT853Rx are an unmodified mic that one can get from most Audio Technica dealers.  Each mic has an in-line phantom power adapter (AT8533x) that plugs directly into a preamp jack.

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2004, 07:00:00 PM »
How much gain do you get with the d8 alone? Is the preamp noisy? How is it compared to AD20?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com