Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tracking...  (Read 3349 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
tracking...
« on: February 24, 2004, 10:11:28 PM »
ok...so im still a newb, but I got my second show last night.  It was particle, and a damn good show i must add!!  But i know very little about Particle.  what is the best was to get the show tracked? with setlist, etc...??  If I was to send it to someone to track..which would be the best way?  upload?  one big wave file on a disc(each set)?  thanx.   MC012's > UA-5 > lappy
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:tracking...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 10:18:01 PM »
particle doesn't typically jam their songs into one another all that often...you could probably just look for breaks and track there.  if that fails, check their website particlepeople.com or the unofficial site roadsabreeze.com for setlists, you'll probably find them posted.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 10:32:01 PM »
thanx simp  i tried to track, but am not sure 100% sure...oh well..first time for everything.  I'll try to get this up on bt or archive soon, I would REALLY appreciate some feedback as its my first recording(second try, first was a flop). +t to ya
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 03:43:47 PM »
I've tracked some shows for people, and usually sending the show as one big track on a couple of discs works best. Of course, if you're planning on archiving the show to .shn or FLAC, that would introduce a DAE step.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »
just flac the wav file as one big chunk and put that on disc if you're farming it out.  That way you have some quality control instead of adding a DAE generation in there.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »
Also:

Start the track at the very beginning of each song. When the track starts you want to hear the music immediately. You don't want to hear chatter/silence/tuning to start a track.

Some even track out the chatter/tuning at the beginning of each set and between the last song and the encore, so people know to skip over it if they don't want to hear it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 04:14:28 PM »
This is obviously just a matter of personal opinion, but I hate getting discs with a 45 second "intro" of just crowd noise as the first track. Cut it down to about 10 seconds and put it as part of the first song/track.

Not as much of a pet peeve, but the 3 minute track of crowd noise between the last song of the set and the encore is (again IMHO) annoying too. Just tack those 3 minutes onto the end of the last song.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
This is obviously just a matter of personal opinion, but I hate getting discs with a 45 second "intro" of just crowd noise as the first track. Cut it down to about 10 seconds and put it as part of the first song/track.

Not as much of a pet peeve, but the 3 minute track of crowd noise between the last song of the set and the encore is (again IMHO) annoying too. Just tack those 3 minutes onto the end of the last song.

I understand the first bit - 10 seconds of lead-in time is plenty unless there's an extended intro going on.  But what is it you find annoying about a 3min applause track between the last song and encore?  Do you also find a track dedicated to the telling of a story between songs annoying?  If so, why?  If not, how's it different from the applause track before an encore?

Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to understand your perspective a bit better.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »

I understand the first bit - 10 seconds of lead-in time is plenty unless there's an extended intro going on.  But what is it you find annoying about a 3min applause track between the last song and encore?  Do you also find a track dedicated to the telling of a story between songs annoying?  If so, why?  If not, how's it different from the applause track before an encore?

Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to understand your perspective a bit better.

I generally don't track out crowd etc...
On the rare occasion, like when there is a lot of thank you's etc... to the crew etc... I'll track it out and call it (banter) to distinguish it from a song. It's weird, because there are some performers that tell stories between each song. In that case unless you track the stories out separately, I think the story is like part of the song, so I'd track it at the beginning of the story. John Prine is like this. But he isn't taper freindly.  ;)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
Good questions. I just find a track of nothing but crowd noise unnecessary. If it's done so the listener can skip over it to get to the first song of the encore, why not just make it the end of the previous track? It accomplishes the same thing, and you only have to hit the track button once instead of twice.

:-)

As for talking between tracks...if it's a particularly lengthy, funny, or informative story; then yes, it deserves it's own track. I've got plenty of discs though where practically every bit of space between songs is a seperate track...that's a bit much.

I guess it all just comes down to personal preference. Thanks for asking!

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 05:41:48 PM »
Tracking particle for Austin on 2/20 was fairly easy w/ soundforge.  I have intro banters for the begining of each set and there were clear breaks before songs/talking about the next song to set my markers at.  Only thing i didnt like w/ my results was that disc 2 is the shortest disc because they tend to jam for 30+ minutes on a single track.  Be sure to mark/cut tracks on sector boundaries, I'm really lazy so I accomplish this in the wav > flac stage w/ (bash-2.05$ flac --sector-align *.wav).

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com