Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NIN/Jane's Addiction taping question (NINJA tour allows audio and video taping)  (Read 2708 times)

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
The current NIN/Jane's Addiction tour is audio/video taping friendly, just to get that clear. My question is this. I taped one of the Jane's shows from the back of the general admission pit area (maybe 50 feet from the stage) using this set up: SP-CMC-2 > Battery Box (line in) > Tascam DR-07. The finished recording came out pretty darned good, but in places the bass is too heavy/strong on the recording. Is this preventable in similar recording situations by using a battery box with the "bass roll off" feature. I plan on attending and taping another Jane's show on this tour and will be in the pit area again with the same gear. Do you think I should buy a "bass roll off" battery box to use? I have read that these are somewhat controversial in the taping community. Any thoughts?

I should add that the Tascam DR-07, in the "input settings," has a feature called "low cut." The options for "low cut" are "off," "40hz," "80 hz," and "120 hz." Is this a bass roll off thingy that will work when i am using the above set up on line in? I ask this because I thought the bass roll off function only was incorporated inside the battery boxes, as opposed to the recorder itself. Am I wrong on this?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:24:40 AM by bigu2fan »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
To roll off or not to roll off, that is the question.  :P

To retort with another taping proverb;
It's less detrimental to get rid of what you don't want, then promote what you don't have.

To fish around for bass thats been rolled off (to amp it in post if you've rolled too much off), your messing around with quieter sounds being amplified to the forfront. If your rolling off in post, your taking what you already have and getting rid of the excess. It's a general rule of thumb that your results will be better, but it's not a guarantee.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
The current NIN/Jane's Addiction tour is audio/video taping friendly, just to get that clear. My question is this. I taped one of the Jane's shows from the back of the general admission pit area (maybe 50 feet from the stage) using this set up: SP-CMC-2 > Battery Box (line in) > Tascam DR-07. The finished recording came out pretty darned good, but in places the bass is too heavy/strong on the recording. Is this preventable in similar recording situations by using a battery box with the "bass roll off" feature. I plan on attending and taping another Jane's show on this tour and will be in the pit area again with the same gear. Do you think I should buy a "bass roll off" battery box to use? I have read that these are somewhat controversial in the taping community. Any thoughts?

I should add that the Tascam DR-07, in the "input settings," has a feature called "low cut." The options for "low cut" are "off," "40hz," "80 hz," and "120 hz." Is this a bass roll off thingy that will work when i am using the above set up on line in? I ask this because I thought the bass roll off function only was incorporated inside the battery boxes, as opposed to the recorder itself. Am I wrong on this?

The mics your using, I believe are omni's?  Omni's are much more bass sensitive.  Some peeps like to run a roll-off. 

The settings in the dr-07 do allow you to roll-off from the incoming signal.  I suggest putting on some bass heavy tunes at home, cranking up the stereo and fooling around with your settings.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
OK, so using the 40hz would remove the least amount of bass, correct?

The recording I am talking about in reference to being bass heavy is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=248852

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Just listened to 'whores' and I think the bass if fine, definitely good to have nice thumping bass in there.  :P 

Overall, a very nice recording, although it's too bad that the vocals and guitar are rather low in the mix.

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
Just listened to 'whores' and I think the bass if fine, definitely good to have nice thumping bass in there.  :P 

Overall, a very nice recording, although it's too bad that the vocals and guitar are rather low in the mix.

Thanks very much for your response! Check out the rest of the recording, if you don't mind, and see what you think. I tried a "Shelf Filter" plug in for audacity and cut off 80hz on the recording and I think it sounded better. Not sure though.

I agree, even at the concert some of the vocals were low in the mix. This was the first show of the NINJA tour so maybe they hadn't gotten everything dialed in.

Offline Humbug

• Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
CMC-2s are cardioid Audio Technica AT831 capsules and are not normally bass heavy.

I have a battery box fitted with bass-roll off, and after some experimentation a few years back, never use it.

I also record heavy rock. Suggestion: move forward to the sweet (triangulated with speakers) spot.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
I'm listening to your pull right now...sounds pretty good and not too bass heavy imo.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
CMC-2s are cardioid Audio Technica AT831 capsules and are not normally bass heavy.

I have a battery box fitted with bass-roll off, and after some experimentation a few years back, never use it.

I also record heavy rock. Suggestion: move forward to the sweet (triangulated with speakers) spot.

OK, thanks very much for the suggestions. I will not mess around with the bass roll off and try to get in better position. I am seeing another NINJA tour and plan to tape with the same gear so we'll see how it works out. Also, how do you think your AT933 mics compare to your SPCMC2 mics?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com