Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help me ! matching up wav forms  (Read 1408 times)

Offline pnobles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ME !
help me ! matching up wav forms
« on: April 27, 2004, 07:39:53 PM »
hey all

my one paying recording gig that i have landed this year is for the university of delaware del tones.  they are a acapella group here on campus.   Well in the fall i recorded their show with mics and through the board.  I ended up mixing the two with nice results.  

this semester, ( last week ) i recorded them again.  same thing.  a pair of neumanns DFC, ORTF at stage lip and then from the soundboard.  Well in attemps at mixing the two the timing is off just a little bit.  

I am guess that one might have recorded in a long play then the other.   songs are only 3 minutes long, but towards the end you can def. hear the delay in one of the recordings.  

is there an easy way to correct this?   any help would be wonderful!  also any advice would be great - i am recording another vocal group saturday and would like to avoid this problem.

thanks
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 08:12:39 AM by pnobles »
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
Re:matching up wav forms
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 07:50:39 PM »
well the way i usually do the mix is track it first then mix up each song.  i end up cutting out alot of dead space for the vocal groups as it is.  ( i recently got a new DAT deck, so i bet this is why i am now running into this problem. ) what should my dat be set on - 48?  SP?
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu

cleantone

Re:help me ! matching up wav forms
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:20:35 AM »
Pat,

This is caused from two different word clocks making the DATs. It sounds like your taking the right approach. I assume you in a multitrack program. I ussually have the audience source all the way through on one track and then a chopped up SBD on another. I typically line up from a good point in the beggining and then chop it every 5 min or so to realign. I've never personally heard the sway within 3 minutes but I guess it is very possable. Try to align the song from the middle. That way there is minor sway in the beginning, good in the middle and minor at the end. Or chop it on a good beat in the middle and align it twice. You solution to this would be to mix it live to DAT at the show. Or to record with the same word clock which you can't really do with DAT recorders.

Good luck!

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
Re:help me ! matching up wav forms
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 01:33:11 PM »
on one feed from the microphones i am recording with a D100.  the other feed i am bringing it into my computer ( CD WAV ) with the UA-1d.

how do i match them up correctly?  thanks
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.293 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com