Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new to taping - my first rig  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: new to taping - my first rig
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 04:56:47 AM »
Also I own a home md player with an optical in/out....If I record a show with an 80 min. md in Hi-md mode...would it play on my home home md player?  Thanks
No.  An MD deck will not play Hi-MD formatted disks.  Although I think there are 1 or 2 Hi-MD decks available or coming shortly?

You can use an 80 min MD formatted as normal MD in a Hi-MD unit and play it back on your deck.

As the previous poster stated, you can adjust recording levels without a remote - however, in the case of the MZ-NH1, it is MUCH easier to use the remote rather than the fiddly buttons on the main unit.

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 08:26:55 PM »
Well i got my new Sony Rh10 today......The display is awesome.....not too impressed compared to my old Sharp 480H....I hate having to select manual record levels every time I turn on the unit...very lame....anyways one problem i'm having is when recording when theres a short silence the track goes from track 1 to track 2, etc.  I have synth. set to off....any ideas regarding this??

Offline angels vs aliens

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 12:38:57 AM »
if you record line in, when ever the md detects 2 secs of silence it will ALWAYS make a new trackmark. luckily, editing them out is easy enough to do on the unit. just made my 2nd recording last night.. MONO from Japan... came out great!
http://livestash.cjb.net - 2 shows so far

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 01:55:24 AM »
angels vs aliens , Thanks for the reply....if only the sony hi-mds were as taper friendly as the sharp models....where do leave your levels on your Sony unit?  I'm guessing if there similar to the sharp md's as close to the end of the meter w/o going over.

Offline angels vs aliens

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »
well, my first tape (slint @ 930 club) i did 18/30 the entire show. results were a bass-heavy recording.. some brickwalling.. but this was a very loud show with BOOMING bass... my mics couldnt handle it. maybe if i had set them lower (around 12/13) it would have turned out better.

2nd tape, the club (warehouse nextdoor) is very small (maybe 125 max capacity, and it was pretty packed) and the bass is not nearly as loud. i was about 8 ft from the stage DFC for most of the tape. i set my levels at 16 or 17/30 i believe (i think 17).. anyways, tape came out great... NO brickwalling.. volume was a tad low, but i gave myself enough headroom to raise the volume a few db in post, without clipping.

so i guess it all depends on the venue.. i'd probably be too scared to set my levels above 20

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 03:51:08 AM »
Are you using a battery box w/ bass roll off?

Offline Wedge

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 04:14:07 AM »
I hate having to select manual record levels every time I turn on the unit...very lame....
Yeah - its a real pain.

anyways one problem i'm having is when recording when theres a short silence the track goes from track 1 to track 2, etc.  I have synth. set to off....any ideas regarding this??
Yes - this is another menu item that you have to set every time though - at least on the MZ-NH1.  I can't remember the details, but its something like "Time Mark" or "Auto Mark".  Certainly on the MZ-NH1 I can record a gig of whatever length without it putting Time Marks in, IF I remember to set the option.  Check your manual. 

If you do end up with unwanted Time Marks they are easy to get rid of though - press Next Track (or Previous) to get to the Time Mark, press Pause, press Time Mark - hey presto its gone.  Repeat as wanted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:19:42 AM by Wedge »

Offline angels vs aliens

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 12:11:43 PM »
Are you using a battery box w/ bass roll off?

yeah.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com