Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking about stealth rig upgrade  (Read 2498 times)

Andy L

• Trade Count: (0)
Thinking about stealth rig upgrade
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »
I'm currently running a stealth taping setup of SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-6 battery box > Edirol R-1, and I'm considering upgrading to a combination of phantom power and a Church Audio ST-9100 preamp. I've looked at sending my mics back to Sound Professionals to get them modified, but after searching on here, I've read that the phantom power adaptors they use (Samson PM4s?) are quite bulky for stealth situations. Are there any smaller alternatives?

Also, I'm a little confused about what I would need for a phantom power rig. Would the following setup work?

SP-CMC-4 (phantom mod) > Phantom power adaptor > CA ST-9100 > R-1

Or would I need something extra to power the mics on top of that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Thinking about stealth rig upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »
Modding your mics so they terminate in mini-XLRs (TA3F, I think) would work with his preamp, and would avoid the overloading you are (possibly) experiencing with the stock mics at loud gigs.

I believe Chris will do this for you.

Drop him a line!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
Modding your mics so they terminate in mini-XLRs (TA3F, I think) would work with his preamp, and would avoid the overloading you are (possibly) experiencing with the stock mics at loud gigs.

I believe Chris will do this for you.

Drop him a line!

^^ What he said.  Also, going this route would allow to you avoid bulky phantom adapters (and phantom power altogether) while preventing overloads at louder shows.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Andy L

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »
The main reason I'm considering this upgrade is not because I've experienced overloading (I haven't, even at the louder rock gigs I've been to and I'm not likely to be attending any metal shows), but because of the increased dynamic range that phantom power would bring.

I heard an alternate source from a show I taped last year, which was from an AT853Rx > ST-9100 > R-09, and it was easily superior to mine and less muddy. Would this combination of getting my mics modded to mini-XLRs and preamp bring the same advantages?

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:15:28 PM »
I heard an alternate source from a show I taped last year, which was from an AT853Rx > ST-9100 > R-09, and it was easily superior to mine and less muddy.

I'm not qualified to comment on the other part of the question, but from a sound quality perspective, this can vary a fair bit depending on positioning and technique.

Also cap choice can be a factor - I sometimes use hypers at boomy venues.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »
The main reason I'm considering this upgrade is not because I've experienced overloading (I haven't, even at the louder rock gigs I've been to and I'm not likely to be attending any metal shows), but because of the increased dynamic range that phantom power would bring.

I heard an alternate source from a show I taped last year, which was from an AT853Rx > ST-9100 > R-09, and it was easily superior to mine and less muddy. Would this combination of getting my mics modded to mini-XLRs and preamp bring the same advantages?

AFAIK, Chris isn't selling any phantom power preamps right now.  I think whomever taped that show must have been a bit mistaken, because I'm 99% sure the ST-9100 only takes mini-xlrs.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:02:39 PM »
AT853Rx can not be connectedto ST9100. I think the rig could have been AT853A or U853A + st9100 + r09.

The best if you add mini xlr to your Sound pro mic and plug into the st9100

Andy L

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »
OK, having found and digested the 3-wire powering FAQ, I'm a lot clearer on what I need and all your replies make more sense now. I'll be in touch with Chris Church to place my order - thanks for your advice (and corrections) everyone! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com