Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording software with delay in the apps?  (Read 5308 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
recording software with delay in the apps?
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »
Any recording software that has a delay function built into their apps?  Just trying to figure out how to run a delay without having to rent a delay, just record through my lappy.  Am I dreaming or is this an option?

Roving Sign

Re: recording software with delay in the apps?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:27:27 AM »
Audacity...

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
Audacity...

Isn't audacity free for download?  I have soundforge, wavelab, and samplitude.  OK at wavelab, used soundforge a few times but never even looked at samplitude.  Any hints for using audacity?  Thanks for the help.

EDIT TO ADD:  so found the audacity for download, should I use 1.2.4 or the 1.3 version?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:47:10 AM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »
Isn't audacity free for download?  I have soundforge, wavelab, and samplitude.  OK at wavelab, used soundforge a few times but never even looked at samplitude.

Pretty sure all those apps will provide the ability to time-shift tracks relative to one another.

Are you talking about adding delay in real-time, or recording multi-track and then adjusting the delay in post production?  If the former, you'll have to add the delay prior to mixdown to 2 channels.  So if you're recording multiple channels, mixing down to 2ch, and then recording the 2ch signal on your laptop, then the s/w won't help.  But if you're recording multiple channels into your laptop, might as well just do it in post production.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
Audacity -

Open file > Select area > Effects > Delay

That will launch the delay parameters dialog...

stirinthesauce

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:03:20 AM »
Isn't audacity free for download?  I have soundforge, wavelab, and samplitude.  OK at wavelab, used soundforge a few times but never even looked at samplitude.

Pretty sure all those apps will provide the ability to time-shift tracks relative to one another.

Are you talking about adding delay in real-time, or recording multi-track and then adjusting the delay in post production?  If the former, you'll have to add the delay prior to mixdown to 2 channels.  So if you're recording multiple channels, mixing down to 2ch, and then recording the 2ch signal on your laptop, then the s/w won't help.  But if you're recording multiple channels into your laptop, might as well just do it in post production.

I'm gonna do 4 channels(2sbd +2audmics) mixed down to 2 channels(running through the ua-5) on the fly and was wanting to add the delay to the mic channel if possible. 

Audacity -

Open file > Select area > Effects > Delay

That will launch the delay parameters dialog...

So, in what I stated above, this function will work?  For some reason I don't think this will work.  Won't each channel of sbd and aud be mixed befor it hits my computer?  Maybe I should just mix in post.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
So, in what I stated above, this function will work?  For some reason I don't think this will work.  Won't each channel of sbd and aud be mixed befor it hits my computer?  Maybe I should just mix in post.

Nope, won't work.  You're correct - the UA5 will mix the SBD and AUD before they hit your computer.  You need to apply the delay prior to the mixdown in the UA5.

To mix in post, you'll need to capture the AUD and SBD sources to different tracks on your laptop, something the UA5 cannot do - it's outputs are strictly 2ch.
Roland R-05

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:18:29 AM »

Nope, won't work.  You're correct - the UA5 will mix the SBD and AUD before they hit your computer.  You need to apply the delay prior to the mixdown in the UA5.

To mix in post, you'll need to capture the AUD and SBD sources to different tracks on your laptop, something the UA5 cannot do - it's outputs are strictly 2ch.

Thanks Brian!  That's what I was thinking but just needed some clarification.  Usually just run board straight into my d7 and record mics on my lappy.  Was just hoping to utilize what I already have to reduce my time spent in post.  +t's for the help everyone!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 11:29:19 AM »
Was just hoping to utilize what I already have to reduce my time spent in post.

This is the primary reason I plan on swapping out my T+ UA5 for a T-mod R4:  to minimize effort in post production for SBD/AUD or multi-mic mixes.  I don't do many now, but with the R4's four-channel capability I plan on doing more.
Roland R-05

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »
Was just hoping to utilize what I already have to reduce my time spent in post.

This is the primary reason I plan on swapping out my T+ UA5 for a T-mod R4:  to minimize effort in post production for SBD/AUD or multi-mic mixes.  I don't do many now, but with the R4's four-channel capability I plan on doing more.

I hear ya.  The r4 is on my wish to buy in the not so distant future list at this time. 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:45:26 PM »
If you're already recording on your laptop, why not just get an interface that can handle 4 channels or more (and then do it all in post)?  A lot cheaper than an R4.

VX Pocket 440
Presonus Firebox

Come to mind immediately.  I just picked up a Firebox to mess around with in fact.  6 channels simultaneously (2 mic, 2 line, 2 digital) - might be a pretty cool thing!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 11:52:57 PM »
If you're already recording on your laptop, why not just get an interface that can handle 4 channels or more (and then do it all in post)?  A lot cheaper than an R4.

VX Pocket 440
Presonus Firebox

Come to mind immediately.  I just picked up a Firebox to mess around with in fact.  6 channels simultaneously (2 mic, 2 line, 2 digital) - might be a pretty cool thing!

Not a bad idea.  I probable should look into this.  I foresee many multitrack gigs coming up and it is just a pain to mix in post.  Spending my whole weekend trying to get caught up.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »
I just picked up a Firebox to mess around with in fact.  6 channels simultaneously (2 mic, 2 line, 2 digital) - might be a pretty cool thing!

that could = 4 mics if you pull your digi patch off another taper. the possibilities are endless.
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 12:24:02 PM »
I just picked up a Firebox to mess around with in fact.  6 channels simultaneously (2 mic, 2 line, 2 digital) - might be a pretty cool thing!

that could = 4 mics if you pull your digi patch off another taper. the possibilities are endless.

Exactly.  This setup will be my "small" rig, used for bands who don't want to pay the full rate for a full multitrack.  My plan is 2 SDCs using the Firebox preamps, 2 channels of SBD using the line inputs on the back, and 2 channels via SPDIF from the V3...so a total of 6 channels @ 24/96 to Cubase SE on my small laptop.  I'm planning to test it out this weekend - we'll see what happens...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com