Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for the most reliable Bit Bucket?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline spoolin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Looking for the most reliable Bit Bucket?
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
Will be running  480>ps2>sbm1 mod{coax out}>?
looking for small unit, maybe tracker2, zoom?
limited budget.....
thanks jdm

Offline Jema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Looking for the most reliable Bit Bucket?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
Well, what does limited budget mean to you? In the audio world, reliability is something that comes with higher cost equipment, almost to a higher degree than sound quality. The most reliable bit bucket in the world might be the Aaton Cantar - the only recorder that is made to work in freezing cold and practically immune to humidity, rain etc.

I assume you only want two channels, and since you want digital in, that leaves three options in my book. The Marantz PMD661, the Sony D50, and the Tascam DR-100mkII. I don't know about the reliability of the last option, but the 661 and D50 are quite capable.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
Marantz PMD661
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
Marantz PMD661

Just got mine and it is perfect for my needs.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

runonce

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:26 AM »
limited budget.....
thanks jdm

You have good mics - but you may want to consider ditching some of the DAT-era gear...and 20 year old 16bit A/D technology.

I'd be asking which of the newer recorders can handle the output from the 480s - drop the ps2/smb1 combo - and go direct.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
limited budget.....
thanks jdm

You have good mics - but you may want to consider ditching some of the DAT-era gear...and 20 year old 16bit A/D technology.

I'd be asking which of the newer recorders can handle the output from the 480s - drop the ps2/smb1 combo - and go direct.

He could use the PMD661 with or without the ps2>sbm1 combo.  More variety makes for more taping pleasure  ;D

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »
He could use the PMD661 with or without the ps2>sbm1 combo.  More variety makes for more taping pleasure  ;D

Terry

Agreed.  The 661 is a very good all-in-one deck that would give you the option of plugging your mics directly into it or using the outboard A/D and going digi-in.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »

Terry

Agreed.  The 661 is a very good all-in-one deck that would give you the option of plugging your mics directly into it or using the outboard A/D and going digi-in.

There is was an Oade Mod PMD660 in the Yard Sale for $250 which will eliminate the need for the PS/2 and SBM1 and be an all-in-one.  You could probably get some cash out of the PS/2, effectively bringing your cost down to the same as buying any of the digi-in bit buckets new. 

If I were dead-set on buying new, I'd buy the Tascam DR100mkII just on price/features alone.  It also will eliminate the need for the PS/2.

PMD660 is gone; I'd go with the DR-100mkII, sell the PS2 and SBM-1 for whatever you can get (probably $100-150 total) and call it a day.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:43:11 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline spoolin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
Thank Folks, whats would be the big difference between the Tascam DR100mkII and the 661? sound wise? lets say both have the oade concert mod..

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Would there even be a difference in sound if it was just a bit bucket? I'm under the impression that once you hit the SBM-1 you're just having the recorder write the 1's and 0's.

I'll second getting rid of the SBM-1 and just going straight into something like the Sony M10. I understand that the SBM-1 is a pretty nice machine...but I think the added bits will help you more.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
Thank Folks, whats would be the big difference between the Tascam DR100mkII and the 661? sound wise? lets say both have the oade concert mod..

The difference is the Tascam is $270 cheaper and comes with more accessories and better powering options.  See my reviews and sound samples in other threads in this recording gear forum.  The Tascam wins hands down on price and accessories, the Tascam has a slight edge on features mainly on the strength of smaller size (pocket-able) and powering options, although the main advantage of the 661 is digital compatibility with both AES/EBU and SPDIF signal standards. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:15:59 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
Would there even be a difference in sound if it was just a bit bucket? I'm under the impression that once you hit the SBM-1 you're just having the recorder write the 1's and 0's.

That's what I'd think, too.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:05 PM »
VERY off topic, but . . . I'd consider selling the ps2 and sbm-1 and instead purchasing this oade modded tascam hdp2 -- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152988.0 -- I run an unmodded hdp2 and have been VERY impressed with its a>d section.  While I found its stock mic pre to be a bit thin, its a>d sounds fantastic behind our oade m148 mic pre and I've heard that the oade mods to the hdp2's mic pre bring about similar improvements.  At $475 for a high quality and high resolution one box solution, this is difficult to pass up.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »

The difference is the Tascam is $270 cheaper and comes with more accessories and better powering options.  See my reviews and sound samples in other threads in this recording gear forum.  The Tascam wins hands down on price and accessories, the Tascam has a slight edge on features mainly on the strength of smaller size (pocket-able) and powering options, although the main advantage of the 661 is digital compatibility with both AES/EBU and SPDIF signal standards.

This.  Also, dump the SBM-1. Kind of pointless. I hate to fluff Tascam- no love for them at all- but Steve has tested this thing pretty thoroughly, and equally importantly, it's a second gen deck, meaning it can correct the first gen's mistakes.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
The Tascam looks like a great box, and I'd strongly consider it.

Or, buy my Microtrack for $90.  A fair number of people consider them a very good solution.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153296.0

stevetoney

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:07 AM »
I'd add that the Tascam is not without its issues (specifically phantom powering with low voltage rechargeables and compatibility of the Mytek ADC with the digital input).  Those can be read about in this forum too.  I don't consider any of them to be showstopper issues for the general public...it depends on your individual priorities (for example, Mytek ADC owners will probably want to avoid the Tascam).  Since this is a new product, we're also hoping that some future firmware updates resolves these currently identified issues, but of course that's yet to be seen and Tascam's customer service record seems to be spotty, so I'm not saying if that will happen.  In the meantime, workarounds have been identified for the low voltage rechargeable issue (use alkalines or higher voltage rechargeable chemistries such as the Zinc rechargeable)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
Also, dump the SBM-1. Kind of pointless. I hate to fluff Tascam- no love for them at all- but Steve has tested this thing pretty thoroughly, and equally importantly, it's a second gen deck, meaning it can correct the first gen's mistakes.

I'd love to try the tascam some day, but I have SO MANY recorders... it would have to be, like, $150 and pushed on me to get me there.
The 661 is probably the greatest recorder I ever owned. that thing was rock solid and could be used in any number of ways. I tested it with an SBM-1 and I really think that, if you are going to listen to a 16/44 recording, then why not make one? I only ever taped at 16/48 with the SBM1, but i think it made better tapes than the 24/96 pulls I made with the 661. SO its all a matter of opinion and taste. The SBM1 is the biggest battery hog of everything I've ever used, so if you bring that along, you better have a LOT of batteries or a good powering option. The 661 got me 5 & 1/2 hours on Sanyo rechargeables, and the SBM1 got about 80mins on the same batteries. I ended up using a tekkeon that would power the SBM-1 for 8+ hours, and I could plug in the 661 at the end of the batteries life to finish a long day. Even those Lithium AAs only power the SBM1 for about 5 & 1/2 hours, and n the end, that was the best bet. Bring and extra set or 2, and an extra set or 2 of rechargeables for the bit bucket and you have the weekend...

...but that's a lot of power and a lot of stuff, and I've not even gotten to the PS2.

I spent about 6 months trying to find the right way to keep running the SBM1 in a post-DAT world. I still think that the Complete Line-Stage Oade Mod of the SBM1 in your chain is worth the effort if you like the sound, but you will work long and hard to make it work.

I think the 661 is overkill for just getting a COAX in, but for me it worked like a charm, and it isn't as big as I expected.
So, for overkill, after reading the thread, I'd recommend buying that oade warm-modded tascam hdp2 from dnsacks. That's the best deal out there (at this moment) and will have the so many uses besides the one you want now.
The ONLY downside of that unit is Compact Flash media, and that isn't really a problem. (well, it isn't a small machine, by any means, but it is packed to the gills)

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/tascam_hd-p2_features.html

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline spoolin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
thanks jb63, i do like the way the oade linemod sbm1 sounds. I never had a battery issues. One 3.5 hour show no problem AA'S. Festivals 7200ah SLA...Now the ps2 is a different story.
I only get to a few shows a year these days and of course money is tight. I have been out of the taping world for a long time. Just want a simple bitbucket, I was looking at the MT2496 because of the coax in, small, cheap, maybe not the most reliable?..Some people like it and some hate it....thanks

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
thanks jb63, i do like the way the oade linemod sbm1 sounds. I never had a battery issues. One 3.5 hour show no problem AA'S. Festivals 7200ah SLA...

Wait? You're telling me that you got 3.5 hours out of your SBM-1 with AAs?
How is that possible? Has anyone else gotten that?
I want that!

;-)
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »
Buy the new bit bucket and do a comparison of the A>D converters between the SBM1 and your new bit bucket.  I bet the SBM1 holds up.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline spoolin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
hey jb3 i am holding the cd in my hand Phil Lesh and Friends 2/28/02 what i can remember was changing the ps2 battery. maybe more like 3 hours? never an issue for a  2 sets show.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:50 AM »
If youre happy with your mics and want an all-in-one, get an Oade/Busman MODDED HDP2. Done deal! And buy enough cards for it so you can record in 24bit ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
the oade warm mod tascam hd-p2 might be a good, cost effective option for ya.

full disclosure: i have one of these units for sale  ;)
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »
the oade warm mod tascam hd-p2 might be a good, cost effective option for ya.

full disclosure: i have one of these units for sale  ;)

BINGO. Buy that and youre all set. Buy some custom cables and a couple clamps and you are good to go ;D

runonce

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
He said "limited budget" - and no offense - I'd hate strap a guy with 5-6 year old pricey, modded deck with a bunch of features he doesnt need (like SMPTE) - AND wed him to Oade for service...no thanks!!!

He can get into the newer tascam, with warranty - and sell the old pieces - and probably barely be out 100 bucks...

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
we are going to have to agree to disagree...

$400 is not pricey for this sport, esp. for what you get. the op can run digi-in if he wants to keep his sbm-1. he can also run mics directly to the deck, and the pres have been improved in the modded unit, and they, along with the unit's adc, are as good, if not better, than any of the options mentioned in this thread. i dont know about you, runonce, but many of us have had nothing but SUPERIOR customer service with oade bros. audio for many years.
-macdaddy ++

Offline spoolin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
thanks all for the help, Spoke with Doug the other day about the new Tascam dr100mkII   
John, I am not currently upgrading it. They added a new PCB and 
 Tascam's track record with the DR series has not been good. If it 
 proves reliable, I might then offer one. It does have more gain but 
 still sounds like the stock DR100, noisy at high gain.
 I hope this helps...Doug

Has anyone use the mkII just for a bitbucket?
Macdaddy's HD-P2 looks good for the money, with the Oade Warm Mod (nothing but SUPERIOR customer service with oade bros. audio for many many many years)

kirk97132

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »
I'd add that the Tascam is not without its issues (specifically phantom powering with low voltage rechargeables and compatibility of the Mytek ADC with the digital input).  Those can be read about in this forum too.  I don't consider any of them to be showstopper issues for the general public...it depends on your individual priorities (for example, Mytek ADC owners will probably want to avoid the Tascam).  Since this is a new product, we're also hoping that some future firmware updates resolves these currently identified issues, but of course that's yet to be seen and Tascam's customer service record seems to be spotty, so I'm not saying if that will happen.  In the meantime, workarounds have been identified for the low voltage rechargeable issue (use alkalines or higher voltage rechargeable chemistries such as the Zinc rechargeable)

I don't believe the HD-P2 has the same compatibility issues as the DR-680.  It also has dedicated Spdif & AES inputs along with wordclock input too.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
correct, kirkd. no digital-in syncing issues with the hd-p2. ever.
-macdaddy ++

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
I think a modded HDP2 is a great deck for a beginner. Its a great sounding all-in-one. How can that be a bad thing? And even tho Oade modded it, I bet Busman would fix it if need be ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com