Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Gear Advice  (Read 2758 times)

Offline karl33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Newbie Gear Advice
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:44:42 PM »
Just won a JB3 on ebay, ( didn't think I would ever win one!) and need help with the rst of my gear. I've read the guides , but would still like advice from those with practical knowledge. What more will I need to get to make decent quality recordings with theJB3? Thanks in advance!

Karl

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie Gear Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 10:00:22 PM »
budget?
stealth or open?
genre of music to be recorded?
one or 2 box solution?

Offline karl33

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 10:19:50 PM »
I don't have a whole lot of money but I do have time so I wouldn't have to get it all at once. I guess stealth would make the most sense, but I would like to use the set up to tape a friends band as well.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 09:50:09 AM »
Based on the stealth aspect...the only mics I think you will like and more importantly keep would be the dpa minature series.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 11:57:22 AM »
mics>cables>preamp w/spdif or optical out>optical cable>jb3
                                     \>spdif to optical convertor box>optical cable>jb3
batteries for all the above
we all live downstream.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »
I don't have a whole lot of money but I do have time so I wouldn't have to get it all at once. I guess stealth would make the most sense, but I would like to use the set up to tape a friends band as well.

Based on the stealth aspect...the only mics I think you will like and more importantly keep would be the dpa minature series.

Daryan

You consider the DPA's a good choice for someone that just said they "don't have a whole lot of money."

I use the Core-Sound Binaurals for stealth now and you can make pretty good recordings with them. They key thing it to keep the mics in the sweet spot (where the sound is best). Their website is www.core-sound.com. Their customer service is a bit lacking but I like the mics and they were fairly cheap. You can even get the low end version for a little over $100. YOU MUST GET THE BATTERY BOX with that. The JB3 does not power the mics.

Also I think www.soundprofessionals.com has some good small mics/battery boxes. I've never used those so I can't comment on them.

Good luck,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 02:16:24 PM »
Also I think www.soundprofessionals.com has some good small mics/battery boxes. I've never used those so I can't comment on them.

I have, and am very happy with them:

SPCMC2 > SPSPSB1 (with bass roll off) > Nomad JB3

I have torrented a number of shows succesfully with this setup. Works especially well in smaller venues with loud, bassy rock bands.

Nice sounding and the only (rare) failures I have had have been due to the Nomad shutting down (overheating / shock issues).

Apologies to anyone who has read similar replies from me before!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com