Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 in my hands...  (Read 10797 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: R4 in my hands...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
Is the analog inputs only on the R-1 really that big of a disadvantage?  Don't many people run 24bit using edirol a/ds?  Why would the R-1 be any worse than a UA-5?  (Granted, a modded UA-5 may not be a V3, but still...)

I realize that V3 owners can see this as a downgrade, but for many others, it seems its a distinct upgrade.  Unless I am missing something.

Maybe, but then with the R1 you're also limited to 24/44.1. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »
i think the R1 is probably a stealthers dream.  if i stealthed primarily, i'd be all over it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 10:59:44 AM »
I'm under the impression that a jump from 44.1 -> 48 isn't entirely noticable (within 16-bit);  But the jump from 16bit - 24bit is extremely noticable (I've heard that one myself!)... Don't know about 44.1 -> 96;  Anywas, for a lot of people running a UA-5 to a NJB3, and many run at 44.1, this still seems like it would be a nice upgrade.   I personally have been hesitant b/c of having to purchase CF cards...

Guess its all relative
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 11:10:42 AM »
to a taper with a picky ear, i think they'd notice the upgrades...at least 16/44.1 > 24/96 but the first time i heard the difference, i have to admit i was a little disappointed.  its still there tho.

you raise a good point tho for the ua-5>jb3 users.  but the ua-5 is still more versatile too.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 11:16:21 AM »
I'm under the impression that a jump from 44.1 -> 48 isn't entirely noticable (within 16-bit);  But the jump from 16bit - 24bit is extremely noticable (I've heard that one myself!)... Don't know about 44.1 -> 96;  Anywas, for a lot of people running a UA-5 to a NJB3, and many run at 44.1, this still seems like it would be a nice upgrade.   I personally have been hesitant b/c of having to purchase CF cards...

Guess its all relative
I was reading last night about sampling resampling since I am not really familiar with the theories etc.
Some of what I was reading was how a lot of engineers would rather record at 44.1 then any other sampling
to prevent resampling down when mastering a cd. If they are going to put it on cd then they go with 44.1
regardless, if it is going on a dvd then they may do 96.
From what I read and if I read it right, they stay away from 48 due to the math.
It all is really interesting stuff and I am still reading through the digital sample theory and nyquists theory
which I have always heard alot about but never really understood.
Basically what I have grasped so far is, some engineers prefer recording at 24/44.1(82) then 24/48/96
and or they would go 16/44.1(82)
Personally I think there is a slight difference between going 44.1 >48 yet not very much and
it does not work in cd players. So while I am recording 16 bit I might just start doing all my pulls in 44.1 to
prevent a resample from 48 > 44
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »
I just wonder if the difference was more because of the jump from 16 -> 24, or from 44.1 -> 96, or bof.  My suspicion is that its 16-24, cause I've heard that one with my own ears... If that's the case, then I think the R-1 would be sick!!!

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 11:21:24 AM »
I just wonder if the difference was more because of the jump from 16 -> 24, or from 44.1 -> 96, or bof.  My suspicion is that its 16-24, cause I've heard that one with my own ears... If that's the case, then I think the R-1 would be sick!!!

Yes there is more of a noticeable differnce going 16/44 to 24/44
much better staging to my ears. Fuller sounds
44>48 sample rates is negligble and not noticeable to an ear that knows no different.
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 11:22:09 AM »

Guess its all relative
I was reading last night about sampling resampling since I am not really familiar with the theories etc.
Some of what I was reading was how a lot of engineers would rather record at 44.1 then any other sampling
to prevent resampling down when mastering a cd. If they are going to put it on cd then they go with 44.1
From what I read and if I read it right, they stay away from 48 due to the math.
It all is really interesting stuff and I am still reading through the digital sample theory and nyquists theory
Basically what I have grasped so far is, some engineers prefer recording at 24/44.1(82) then 24/48/96
Personally I think there is a slight difference between going 44.1 >48 yet not very much and
it does not work in cd players. So while I am recording 16 bit I might just start doing all my pulls in 44.1 to

If the soundcard/recorder supports it, sometimes I will go with 88.2.  It an easier downsample to 44.1.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 11:23:13 AM »

Guess its all relative

If the soundcard/recorder supports it, sometimes I will go with 88.2.  It an easier downsample to 44.1.
exactly, and thanks for not pointing out my error (82)  :-[

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »
i think the R1 is probably a stealthers dream. if i stealthed primarily, i'd be all over it.

The other guy that records the Hutchins Consort with me is all about these R1/R4 units.
His idea right now is for the R1, A: to try the stereo mic that is built into the unit, on a stand, in front of the band.
 B: A self powered mic pair / short cables (1ft) -> analog in, on a stand in front of the band.
I asked him about level adjustments, and he said he'd run it conservatively, and adjust in post, that the headroom, and noise floor of 24bit easily allows for running conservatively rather than trying to cram-full all 16bits of dat/wav.

on a side note,......
I actually dove into learning a computer music editing program over the last few days, (Felttip Software-Sound Studio), and actually turned out my first edited master.
:snaps suspenders:

welcome to the late 20th century moke :P

I guess since the music you're recording is from the 17th century you're not doing too bad ;D

+T
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 11:28:32 AM »
i've tried to hear the differences in 44.1 vs 48...i can't tell if they're there or if i'm just making it be there.  either way, recording at 16/44.1 saves me about 10 minutes in resampling time in post.

my buddy records all the studio stuff his band does in 24/88.2 for the easy conversion.

and +t moke for your computer using - you'll be a pro in no time.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
i bet i'd have the same reaction trying to use a stand-alone unit. ;D

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 01:06:43 PM »

Guess its all relative

If the soundcard/recorder supports it, sometimes I will go with 88.2.  It an easier downsample to 44.1.

Sorry, wasn't trying to rub it in.  i had no clue what the "(82)" was... ;D
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 01:18:33 PM »

Guess its all relative

Sorry, wasn't trying to rub it in.  i had no clue what the "(82)" was... ;D
can I get away with saying my head was abbreviating it from 88.2 to 82  ::) haha

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
found it in the manual. it makes new seamless files. all 2gb in size. just like any other recorder I suppose.

that is probably why the buffer is there as well...allows it to do the switch from one file to the next

the buffer is there so that you never miss anything when you are recording.  band starts unexpectedly...but the device is recording before you hit the record button....thus saving the day.

the new file feature just happens in the background.  you dont need to push buttons or monitor the time.  Its smart about it.
a good thing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com