Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad Firewire  (Read 2645 times)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Nomad Firewire
« on: April 13, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »
One of my pins is gone.  I have no idea how.  Anyway, rapid transfer is out the window now.

question is.  where can i get this repaired?  is creative still supporting these in regards to repair?  or, should i sell it and get another one?

bumming
we all live downstream.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Nomad Firewire
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 12:45:34 AM »
c'mon USB can't be THAT bad...  It's just a little (a lot) slower... suck it up ;D ;D

Kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
One of my pins is gone.  I have no idea how.  Anyway, rapid transfer is out the window now.

question is.  where can i get this repaired?  is creative still supporting these in regards to repair?  or, should i sell it and get another one?

bumming
It's usually a bad (read as CHEAP) cable that breaks contacts out of a mini firewire socket.  I had that happen to my videocamera because of a cheap firewire cable I bought from newegg.com.  Before I figured out what happened, I did the same thing to a borrowed videocamera.  I had my videocamera fixed "under warranty" by Sony's qualified repair center in Overland Park, KS and it cost me almost $130!  Under warranty, my ass!  They knew that they weren't going to cover anything under warranty when I dropped it off.  (They will NEVER get my repair business again.)  I went out and bought a firewire connector and did the repair myself on my buddy's camera.  That cost me about $15 (including shipping) and about 50 minutes of fiddling with fragile plastic parts that are designed to hide everything that holds them in place.

Later, I was told that by far, the most common repair problem on Sony and Canon videocameras is the firewire connector -- damage from the use of cheap cables.

Moral of the story: Don't scrimp on your firewire cables.  Get the brand name version and don't use anything else.

BTW:  I have not been able to figure out who makes the firewire connectors that are used on the NJB3.  If you find a source for them, I'd like to know where you got them.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Lester Flatts

• Taperssection Regular
  • Son, get down from there...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:38:07 PM »

bumming

Damn, John, you can't catch a break lately.  Have fun at Suwannee.
SP C4s>UA5>JB3

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 12:07:04 AM »
find someone with a trashed one and tear it apart

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:10:10 AM »
thanks guys.  sparkE! good story and info.  it appears that the cable was indeed the culpreti am definitely going in there though.  looks like this will become a usb jb3.  now i just need to send my lappy off to get it repaired since the cable broke it also.  Lester, the forecast looks promising.

good call.  possibly.
we all live downstream.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:06:21 AM »

good call.  possibly.
You might want to check with Gary Swandells out of the UK.  His ebay ID is swandeg.  He offers component level parts, subassemblies, board level parts and complete (refurbished) units.  I've bought displays from him in the past.  He has been honest, fast and helpful to me in the past.  The only time I couldn't get a response from him was when he was on vacation.  I think that Gary is the UK's factory authorized repair guy for Creative Labs.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com