Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol r1 - line in thoughts?  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
edirol r1 - line in thoughts?
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:44:15 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on how the edirol r1 sounds when run line in? I checked through the archives and perhaps missed any comments on the sound of the unit run line in.

looks like a potentially very interesting unit, I'm wondering about the 44.1 limiitation too... that seems a bit annoying though not a total deal breaker. any other small 24bit recorders I should be looking at, besides the new m-audio recorder?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

Re: edirol r1 - line in thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:53:45 PM »
thanks guys... sounds encouraging....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:36:55 AM »
maybe I should hold off until the m-audio comes out, the ability to record digital in might be a nice feature down the road....

fwiw - I'm thinking of putting together a dpa406x->mma6000->??? rig... something small, relatively inexpensive, yet still very nice sounding... going to build a jdisc too. For the time being the R1 would be fine but further down the line if I go back to a full sized rig with an outboard a/d it would be nice to be able to record digital in

thanks for the feedback guys
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:39:43 AM by Tim »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 12:47:32 AM »
maybe I should hold off until the m-audio comes out, the ability to record digital in might be a nice feature down the road....

fwiw - I'm thinking of putting together a dpa406x->mma6000->??? rig... something small, relatively inexpensive, yet still very nice sounding... going to build a jdisc too. For the time being the R1 would be fine but further down the line if I go back to a full sized rig with an outboard a/d it would be nice to be able to record digital in

thanks for the feedback guys

you omni whore :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 01:11:38 AM »
pretty much ;D

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 04:32:54 AM »
I´ve tried the R1 briefly. But to me it seemed very noisy. Soo much in fact that I wonder whether there is any use at all going for 24 bits. I tried with line in, mic in and built-in mics with same results. 24 bit to me is of no use unless the box has really good analog circuits, much of it is about getting a higher ratio between signal and noise. (Theory says that each bit represents about 6 dB of S/N ratio).

What are your experiences, or was it only the one I used.?

Gunnar

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:49:31 AM »
I've got an R1 on the way to me this week. However, it was tough to find one in stock right now, just about every retailer I talked to or found online was backordered thru early-June and as late as July.

I heard Alex's NIN tape with Boogie's R1 and was sold.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »
I've got an R1 on the way to me this week. However, it was tough to find one in stock right now, just about every retailer I talked to or found online was backordered thru early-June and as late as July.

maybe I'll be the guinea pig on the m-audio then.... sounds like I would have to wait for both of them...

Offline gewwang

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:19:49 AM »

maybe I'll be the guinea pig on the m-audio then.... sounds like I would have to wait for both of them...

Yeah, I just couldn't wait for the m-audio to come out in June - which you never know. Chances are good I'll have the R1 in the yard sale when either the m-audio or the sonosax come out - whenever that actually is.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 11:28:55 AM »
george..cool, are you gonna run sax > r1 then?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gewwang

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »
george..cool, are you gonna run sax > r1 then?

Yeah, one less box to carry in and 24/44. Also takes up less room in my luggage without all those blank dats every week :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »
anyone recommend a good place to buy CF cards?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 03:34:13 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
www.pricewatch.com
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html

thanks!

any certain brand I should be looking for?

I just ordered an R1 from genesis-technologies.com, 2 day shipping for $445 :)

that was the cheapest place I could find on froogle

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »
hmmmmm... looks like there are 6gb flash cards available. I could buy one of those and be good to go for a whole show at 24/44.1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com