Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol r1 - line in thoughts?  (Read 9133 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
edirol r1 - line in thoughts?
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:44:15 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on how the edirol r1 sounds when run line in? I checked through the archives and perhaps missed any comments on the sound of the unit run line in.

looks like a potentially very interesting unit, I'm wondering about the 44.1 limiitation too... that seems a bit annoying though not a total deal breaker. any other small 24bit recorders I should be looking at, besides the new m-audio recorder?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

Re: edirol r1 - line in thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:53:45 PM »
thanks guys... sounds encouraging....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:36:55 AM »
maybe I should hold off until the m-audio comes out, the ability to record digital in might be a nice feature down the road....

fwiw - I'm thinking of putting together a dpa406x->mma6000->??? rig... something small, relatively inexpensive, yet still very nice sounding... going to build a jdisc too. For the time being the R1 would be fine but further down the line if I go back to a full sized rig with an outboard a/d it would be nice to be able to record digital in

thanks for the feedback guys
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:39:43 AM by Tim »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 12:47:32 AM »
maybe I should hold off until the m-audio comes out, the ability to record digital in might be a nice feature down the road....

fwiw - I'm thinking of putting together a dpa406x->mma6000->??? rig... something small, relatively inexpensive, yet still very nice sounding... going to build a jdisc too. For the time being the R1 would be fine but further down the line if I go back to a full sized rig with an outboard a/d it would be nice to be able to record digital in

thanks for the feedback guys

you omni whore :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 01:11:38 AM »
pretty much ;D

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 04:32:54 AM »
I´ve tried the R1 briefly. But to me it seemed very noisy. Soo much in fact that I wonder whether there is any use at all going for 24 bits. I tried with line in, mic in and built-in mics with same results. 24 bit to me is of no use unless the box has really good analog circuits, much of it is about getting a higher ratio between signal and noise. (Theory says that each bit represents about 6 dB of S/N ratio).

What are your experiences, or was it only the one I used.?

Gunnar

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:49:31 AM »
I've got an R1 on the way to me this week. However, it was tough to find one in stock right now, just about every retailer I talked to or found online was backordered thru early-June and as late as July.

I heard Alex's NIN tape with Boogie's R1 and was sold.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »
I've got an R1 on the way to me this week. However, it was tough to find one in stock right now, just about every retailer I talked to or found online was backordered thru early-June and as late as July.

maybe I'll be the guinea pig on the m-audio then.... sounds like I would have to wait for both of them...

Offline gewwang

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:19:49 AM »

maybe I'll be the guinea pig on the m-audio then.... sounds like I would have to wait for both of them...

Yeah, I just couldn't wait for the m-audio to come out in June - which you never know. Chances are good I'll have the R1 in the yard sale when either the m-audio or the sonosax come out - whenever that actually is.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 11:28:55 AM »
george..cool, are you gonna run sax > r1 then?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gewwang

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »
george..cool, are you gonna run sax > r1 then?

Yeah, one less box to carry in and 24/44. Also takes up less room in my luggage without all those blank dats every week :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »
anyone recommend a good place to buy CF cards?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 03:34:13 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
www.pricewatch.com
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html

thanks!

any certain brand I should be looking for?

I just ordered an R1 from genesis-technologies.com, 2 day shipping for $445 :)

that was the cheapest place I could find on froogle

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »
hmmmmm... looks like there are 6gb flash cards available. I could buy one of those and be good to go for a whole show at 24/44.1

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 03:49:19 PM »
sandisk cards are excellent cards.  i use sandisk ultra II cards in my camera.

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 03:59:42 PM »
thanks Damon! much appreciated...

I'm going to bug the peoples at edirol and see what they say about the use of 6gb cards in the unit.... sure would be nice to have one card and never have to worry about running out at a show...

Offline Brian

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 04:03:11 PM »
he's back? :o

taper or patch rat?

BTW, like my sig line tim? ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 04:08:15 PM »
just noticed that ;D

tapir

going to get me a dpa4060->mma6000 setup and run split and baffled omni's upfront for awhile....  I don't think I can get better sound for the money really

Offline Brian

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 04:09:05 PM »
yep, i just saw your "official announcement" in the open forum.

well  done sir!

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 04:23:54 PM »
okay so I found this info on the edirol site.... I may stick with 4gb cards, that should get me 4+ hours or record time anyway

Does the R-1 work with compact flash larger than 2GB and/or Microdrive technology? (submitted 9/29/2004)
The R-1 is compatible with FAT32 format so it is not limited by the 2GB barrier. We have tested up to 4GB with no problems. As we test larger CF cards (e.g, CF is now available in 4GB, 6GB and 8GB sizes), we will post the results.
The R-1 is not compatible with Microdrive; it consumes too much current to make it practical for this unit's design.

What CompactFlash (CF) cards are compatable with the R-1? (submitted 2/4/2005)
As of 02/04/05, the following CompactFlash cards are compatible with the R-1:
(*** = storage capacity)

SanDisk SDCFB 801
SanDisk SDCFB J60 Series
SanDisk ultra II 40x Series (SDCFH-***-903)
LEXAR Digital Film 8x Series (MCF-**X8)
LEXAR High-Speed 40x Series (CF***-40-278)
LEXAR Professional 80x Series (CF***-80-380)
(only when the AC adapter is used with the R-1.)
Renesas Technology HD28B Series
BUFFALO RCF-X Series
Hagiwara Sys-Com ZPro Series
TOSHIBA CF-NA MT Series
I/O DATA CFX 20x Series

As of 02/04/05, the following CompactFlash cards are incompatable with the R-1. Using any of the following cards may cause either the R-1's display to show "No Card", or noise to be generated during the recording:
(*** = storage capacity)

LEXAR Professional 80x Series (CF***-80-380)
(only when the battery is used with the R-1, because of too much consumption current.)
A-DATA CFC40 40x Series
BUFFALO RCF-G 45x Series
GREEN HOUSE GH-CF2GDX
Hagiwara Sys-Com V Series
Princeton Xpert 45x Series (PCFS-***)
TRANSCEND Series (all)

NOTE: All the above CF cards are of TYPE I, and no TYPE II CF card is compatible with the R-1.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »
bit perfect digital from Creative Labs?

Yes!  Edit to add:  I'm still stunned they - by luck, no doubt - got it right.

you might want to check that out in detail to actually verify as to my knowledge they have never achieved such a thing

I've performed ~70+ hrs of rigorous testing on my JB3 (at the time ran V3 AES1 out > Hosa ODL312 > JB3) and it proved bit-transparent.  I performed a smaller number of tests after having Grace opti-mod my V3 so I could run V3 > JB3 and once again the JB3 proved bit-transparent.

The only issue into which I ran:  the first hundred samples or so are sometimes funky and not bit-accurate.  This problem is easily resolved:  start up some miniscule amount of time before the band actually starts playing and you'll rip through those potentially mis-placed samples in no time.  After those first few, all follow-up samples proved bit-accurate over many, many hours of controlled, field-simulated testing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 12:44:41 AM »
bit perfect digital from Creative Labs? you might want to check that out in detail to actually verify as to my knowledge they have never achieved such a thing

boogie

I did the follow up tests after Jamie Lutch and proved that the UA-5 > JB3 was a bit perfect combo.  Many hours of testing, not one dropped sample.   Why do you think there are so many UA-5>JB3 combos in the field today?  Before that test, the word was it was not bit perfect.  Turned out to be the 'grey box' s/pdif converter that Jamie was using.  Then Brian S followed up with similar tests on the Hosa box.

And Doug Oade has sold a coupla UA-5s since then.  The whole MOD thing Oade has going with UA-5s is driven by JB3 users.

test results http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/bit/BitAccuracy.htm
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline gewwang

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 01:48:10 AM »
okay so I found this info on the edirol site.... I may stick with 4gb cards, that should get me 4+ hours or record time anyway

Does the R-1 work with compact flash larger than 2GB and/or Microdrive technology? (submitted 9/29/2004)
The R-1 is compatible with FAT32 format so it is not limited by the 2GB barrier. We have tested up to 4GB with no problems. As we test larger CF cards (e.g, CF is now available in 4GB, 6GB and 8GB sizes), we will post the results.
The R-1 is not compatible with Microdrive; it consumes too much current to make it practical for this unit's design.

I picked up the SanDisk 4 GB Compact Flash Memory Card - SDCFB-4096-A10.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10369455&loc=101&hdwt=30421&sp=2

Used a 10% off coupon up to $15 so it was $277, $289 with 2 day shipping.

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 10:16:25 AM »

I picked up the SanDisk 4 GB Compact Flash Memory Card - SDCFB-4096-A10.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10369455&loc=101&hdwt=30421&sp=2

Used a 10% off coupon up to $15 so it was $277, $289 with 2 day shipping.

thanks George... I'm ordering one right now...

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 02:45:11 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

just got this email about my R1....

The product you have ordered (Edirol R-1 Portable 24-Bit WAVE) is not expected to start shipping before the end of May.

Please let us know if you would be willing to wait until then.

Thank you

I'm contacting all of the dealers I can come up with on froogle, surely someone has to have one of these units

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »

fair enough...but just to be clear on this...bit-accurate is more than just a lack of dropped samples....more importantly its no resampling of the input signal to a different clock rate....so the JB3 is syncing its clock from the external source? and this is true for both 48k and 44.1k?

boogie

If there was a different clock rate going on it would manifest itself as dropped or extra samples (if the re-clock ran faster or slower respectively).  In my tests, it behaved the same for 44.1 and 48k.  It is accepting the external clock - in fact, even if you change the sample rate of the source, the JB3 it continues to write every sample accurately - only the wave header will be incorrect.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
sam ash says that they cannot fill any orders until july

still waiting to hear back from a few other retailers....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 11:34:27 PM »
more importantly its no resampling of the input signal to a different clock rate....so the JB3 is syncing its clock from the external source? and this is true for both 48k and 44.1k?

Ditto to what DKlein said:  yes, the JB3 syncs to the external clock - it does not resample.  This is true for 44.1k.  I didn't test 48k, but I assume it performs the same at 48k as 44.1k.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com