Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade Moded R1  (Read 7307 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Oade Moded R1
« on: July 26, 2005, 05:26:50 PM »
I've been running an R1 since January, going line-in.  I am expecting an R1 Oade moded for line-in tomorrow, is anyone running one of these and what experience do you have with levels, response, etc?

Jeff

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
Re: Oade Moded R1
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 05:45:34 PM »
I love the ease of use on this thing.  I have a stock unit.  What did Doug do in the way of mods?  What is he charging?  I am interested...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 06:08:50 PM »
I love the ease of use on this thing.  I have a stock unit.  What did Doug do in the way of mods?  What is he charging?  I am interested...

Yes, inquiring minds are in wonder....
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:59:26 AM »

He is replacing some components in the line-in path with higher grade ones, for $100 above the stock cost.  It's supposed to make the path quieter and give a faster signal response time.  I have not heard any demos, it must just be my inner gearhead getting impatient waiting for the MicroTrack and needing to spend dollars. 

The stock R1 seems to me a pretty good DAT replacement for line-in, even more trusty than the M1 I used for five years and faster to set up and then to edit.  Just wish they would implement an auto file split.

Jeff

Offline Yorick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 04:23:04 PM »
Hi.  I'm using the same system, but I don't really have much experience with it yet.  So far I've only done instrument recording, not concerts.  But FWIW, I love the thing.  In my limited tests so far, believe it or not I actually prefer the sound of 406x -> dpa bat box -> Oade modded R1 line-in, to the same chain using the MMA6000 instead of the bat box.  I know that "shouldn't be", but to me it sounds more dry, clear and defined, and not quite as rich and boomy.  I can't find my notes on the settings, but as I remember, these observations were in proportion to the amount of MMA6000 I dialed in to the equation.  But please keep in mind a few caveats:  1) I don't have anything to compare it to;  2) These results would be expected to be very instrument specific, and this was a very rich, though not quite "boomy" instrument; and 3)  I've only listened back through earbuds, which are a little bass-heavy.

So basically, these results are meaningless, but I just thought I would chime in out of solidarity for the gear.  :)

I've also recorded 2 week long conferences at 192k mp3, (maybe a total of 60 hours?), using no mics (just the built-in ones) for total convenience – just crank the input level to max and throw it on the desk.  Wow.  The fidelity is totally audible, and I haven't dumped anything off the 4G card yet – room to burn.

I will pick up a micro track if it turns out to be a better unit, but I must say, the convenience of this thing and the built-in mics are a big plus for me.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »

so how much was the whole thing (unit+mod)..?

do microdrives fit into this thing..?

am i losing anything from 48kHz sample rate..? or does the jump to 24bit more than compensate..?

this looks smaller than a d100 - is it..?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 04:54:09 PM »

so how much was the whole thing (unit+mod)..?

do microdrives fit into this thing..?

am i losing anything from 48kHz sample rate..? or does the jump to 24bit more than compensate..?

this looks smaller than a d100 - is it..?

$429 + $100 plus $15 shipping = $544

It does not power microdrives, but I've got an 8GB CF card  :D

The stock R1 sounds about the same as an M1 going line-in, I've not had a
case yet where 44.1 kH hurts nor where 24 bits is an obvious big deal (but
who knows, and I'll be giving the modded unit a trial tomorrow).

It is about the thickness of a D100/M1, but sticks out about 1/2-3/4"
in each direction front-on.  It is lighter, though (9.9 oz with CF and
batteries vs. 13 oz for a loaded M1).

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
damn, so it doesnt do microdrives... (i have two of them)...

i would also have to have my heb's re-terminated in the miniplug (i have dual rca male terminations now)...

-macdaddy ++

Depechemode1993

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »
everyone talking about R1's I really need to get one!

ok... this is going to sound totally lame... but did this thing go out of production? (I might be thinking JB3) if so where can I get one of these bad boys when I do have the money?

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
damn, so it doesnt do microdrives... (i have two of them)...

i would also have to have my heb's re-terminated in the miniplug (i have dual rca male terminations now)...

I switched from the Core Sound battery box to the DPA MMA6000 preamp, which also powers the 406x mics.  You need to terminate the mic cables with the DPA standard microdot connectors for this, but it's not a big jump in size or weight over that tank of a battery box.  I did this upgrade just before getting the R1, and it made a big sonic difference.  The R1s were hard to find in the spring, but everybody seems to have them in stock now.

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 08:46:45 PM »
so are you saying you prefer the sound of the c/s batt box, or the dpa preamp..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »
so are you saying you prefer the sound of the c/s batt box, or the dpa preamp..?

The preamp, for sure!  I used the HEB + CS box with attenuator cable to go mic-in on a DAT for four years, the improvement with the MMA6000 was very noticeable.  The R1 is just a DAT without tape, so far.  I will be doing some comparisons on piano recordings, over the next  few days, from the same seats (but different pianists), and try with some orchestral stuff later in August.

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 08:58:54 PM »
you are the first person i have heard say that..
-macdaddy ++

Depechemode1993

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »
can anyone give a comparison with quality R1 vs. DAT?

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:56:13 PM »
can anyone give a comparison with quality R1 vs. DAT?

A friend of mine taped a show with the "DPA 4022 > SX-M2" mic/pre combo and one output went to a R1 at 24/44.1 and one output went to a modSBM-1>DAT.  It may have been 48kHz sampling rate, but the point is that it was a pretty good comparison.  I could not tell much difference between the two sources on either of my playback systems.  So at 24 bit (dithered down to 16 bit), the R1 is very close to comparison with a modSBM-1/DAT combo at straight 16 bit.  That was with a nice signal though....mic in would be a different story, I'm sure...as would a weak line in signal, like from a battery box.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com