Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R1 shuts itself off????  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
R1 shuts itself off????
« on: October 07, 2005, 04:03:57 AM »
Tonight I was taping Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and they played a very long set, like 2-3 hours probably.  They started playing with the openers and just took over so I had to start a new file at the first point of some silence...well I'm thinking all is well and I'm solid on the recording since my levels were all set but I check it a bit later after chatting with a friend and the R1 had turned itself off.  I turn it back on and start recording again, not sure how much of the set I actually missed but the second file stopped after about half an hour.

So what in the hell causes this to happen with the Edirol R1 and is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future without checking levels every minute?  Thanks.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
Re: R1 shuts itself off????
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 07:46:43 AM »
Have you listened to the recording you made after it shut itself off?  I had something similar happen to me once and the recordings I made after it shut off and up to the point I actually power cycled it were corrupted.  They began OK but about a minute into each recording they became chopped at about a 15Hz rate.  This only happened to me once and has never happened again. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:17:39 AM »
Assuming you had the hold switch on, the only way I know that this could happen is if you accidently hit the power switch (in which case the file needs to be recovered via chkdsk /f in DOS on your computer) or your battery levels drop (might be a problem with some CF cards and alkelines, Edirol says the Lexar 80x CF cards only work with the AC power adapter, though they work fine with lithium AAs).  What batteries were you using and what CF card?

Jeff

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:25:47 AM »
I should add two things....

First, in my case at least the R1 only appeared to be shut off.  In fact, all display segments were faintly darkened.  I suspect that what really happened was that it crashed.  And second, the corruption on the affected recordings seemed to be an analog problem.  The files themselves were intact according to checkdisk. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:39:39 AM »
After sobering up I do think I have the problem solved.  The recordings sounded fine and the recorder didn't crash.  I do think I turned the hold off to check the record time and cycle through the other displays and then forgot to turn the hold back on before I walked away.  At about the point in the show the sound guy came around the front of the board tables and started switching plugs and shit directly behind the R1 so I'm guessing he probably just bumped one of the buttons by accident.  No big deal, I think only 1 or 2 songs are missing and there were filmers that I can get in touch with to sourced a patch for the missing material.  Thanks for the input doods.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:48:45 AM »
I had a case that I already posted about in another thread where the R1 stopped recording last Thursday night at the Black Crowes. I had taped the 100 minute first set to one file then turned the unit off and switched batteries (2 2600 mAH NiMHs) for the second set. Started the second file and it read 'stop' the next time i looked at it. I started the third file and it ran fine for 60 minutes til the show ended. After patching with another source, I discovered the unit stopped recording 6 minutes after it stopped and it stopped 10 minutes into the second file.

Since that show, I ran chkdsk and no errors were reported, I formatted the card and taped a total of 3:50 minutes to 3 files @ 24/44 with no problems on Monday.

Still have no idea how it stopped itself and I use the 'hold' button all the time.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:30:46 PM »
I'm attributing this instance to user error.  The show just kept going and going and going so I kept checking my run time to see exactly how long it was going cuz I was getting restless with no air conditioning and a head full of booze.  Next time I tape, no drinks and no hold switch off after recording starts.  Shit happens.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 01:56:00 AM »
I have energizer lithium batteries, plenty of power, and kingston elite pro flash card.  I seriously think it was just a user error and not the recorders fault.  If it happens again when i KNOW the hold switch is on then i'll be pissed about it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com