Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r8brain can't handle 24/96 files?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
r8brain can't handle 24/96 files?
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
i've seen good things said about r8brain and i'm trying to use it for some 24/96 files for a show i just taped, but it doesn't want to accept them. when i try to load the raw files it gives me an error window "Error accessing selected file: read past end of resource ...". i also used Wavlab to put all 3 of the raw files into one large file (recorder started new files every 1.5 GB), and when trying to load that file containing the whole show i get a different error window "Error accessing selected file ... is formed incorrectly and thus cannot be read". thing is though it still loads the file path into the input line, but when i click "perform r8brain" i get "Please, specify valid WAV file to convert first!" r8brain handles all the other wavs i try just fine, 24/48, 16/44, etc. it just won't accept these 24/96 ones. so apparently this program is useless for what i wanted to use it for. any ideas?

runonce

Re: r8brain can't handle 24/96 files?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
http://www.voxengo.com/forum/r8brainpro/949/

Never used the program, but your might want to check into file size limits...

This thread indicates 4GB limit...

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
24 96 is no problem for r8brain so I don't know what the issue would be for loading them separately. The issue after you've made them one file sounds like the one you get when it's over 4 gigs

maybe try to install it from scratch again and try again

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
r8brain definitely handles 24/96 files just fine (and 24/192 files).  but, it wants to see a standard WAV file header.  A lot of the recorders that we use append some "junk" or other non-critical info to the file header, and r8brain doesn't like that.  What deck are you using?  With my old Tascam HD-P2, I always had to fix the WAV file headers before r8brain would process it.

Try something like this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0
it always worked for me :)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
thanks Jason! sounds like you've likely diagnosed the problem i'm having, as the files r8brain doesn't like all came off an HD-P2. i'll give that fix a try later tonight. it's definitely not a filesize issue, none of these files are over 4 GB (even the one with all the files joined is only 3.67 GB).

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
After successfully using r8brain last week, I'm now getting the "Error accessing selected file..............is formed incorrectly....." error.  It's a 2.1 GB file, and I already ran pigiron's utility and it says that the header is already fine and doesn't need fixing.  Is the standard version of r8brain supposed to be able to handle files over 2 GB?  I see there's a Pro version (for $130) but can't find any mention of file sizes being a difference between the free and non-free versions.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
The standard version is limited to somewhere around the 2GB mark.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

That's what I feared.  Is there another free alternative that will do the resampling of a file larger than 2 GB?

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »

That's what I feared.  Is there another free alternative that will do the resampling of a file larger than 2 GB?

why not just use CD Wave to split the file into two parts, each less than 2 GB.  then resample both files, and re-join them.  The process is a little bit more involved, but I don't think you'll find a better free resampling program than r8brain (in terms of sound quality).

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
why not just use CD Wave to split the file into two parts, each less than 2 GB.  then resample both files, and re-join them.  The process is a little bit more involved, but I don't think you'll find a better free resampling program than r8brain (in terms of sound quality).

That's what I was thinking -- I just wasn't sure if the resampling would leave the ends with some sort of artifacts that would make the files not re-join seamlessly.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »

That's what I was thinking -- I just wasn't sure if the resampling would leave the ends with some sort of artifacts that would make the files not re-join seamlessly.

some people say that they have had issues.  but I've taken several tracked out 24/96 files and batch resampled them all to 16/44.1, and I have never had problems with artifacts at the start/end of each file.  If you are concerned about it, just put the split during a quiet part or crowd noise between songs, and you should be good to go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com