Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100982 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:07 PM »
Richard is a warrior and fears no disassembly!  >:D   I'm not even a 460/480 owner and I'm real excited about this.

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2006, 07:50:45 PM »
Why not use a metal tap soldered to your circuit board then encased in epoxy with just the tab sticking out like they do on many mics. Would that work? Also a spring could be used you could coat the top of the sping in silver solder for good contact. or use a conductive lube on the tip of the spring. Let me know if you need a source for the conductive paste. I use it in recording consoles that have bad insert jacks.

I now have a digital camera and can take some pics of my JK box. If that would help, let me know. This is the box with adjustable gain versus fixed/no gain.

Charlie

I can do the same for my 460>ck1x equipment

Thanks for the offers guys.  If you get a chance, I'd really like to understand how that center pin is fitted.  There seem to be two possibilities.  One is to have a socket to fit it, and push just a little bit up.  There is some spring in the pin.  Another way it to have a crimp of some sort in the socket.

Anyway, I got fed up last night and just hardwired to the capsule.  I guess it was the medication (???) I took, made me see things in a new light :).  All I did was wedge a thin copper wire between the capsule metal and the plastic insert.  That connects to the body. I put another wire under the nut that holds the center pin.  In the process I clumsily dissassembled the capsule.  There is really not much there at all!  Just a gold (?) diaphragm, a backplate with holes, and some kind of opening in the back.  This is a single unit mounted on plastic, soldered to a spring, plus a metal sheet/grille in the front of the capsule, and a separator ring.

Anyway, all the parts near the capsule are worth $20 max, so I'm just going to glue-tape it up and cover wth copper foil.

I'll report with gruesome pics in a few weeks.

Richard

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2006, 08:45:34 PM »
Why not use a metal tap soldered to your circuit board then encased in epoxy with just the tab sticking out like they do on many mics. Would that work? Also a spring could be used you could coat the top of the sping in silver solder for good contact. or use a conductive lube on the tip of the spring. Let me know if you need a source for the conductive paste. I use it in recording consoles that have bad insert jacks.

I now have a digital camera and can take some pics of my JK box. If that would help, let me know. This is the box with adjustable gain versus fixed/no gain.

Charlie

I can do the same for my 460>ck1x equipment

Thanks for the offers guys.  If you get a chance, I'd really like to understand how that center pin is fitted.  There seem to be two possibilities.  One is to have a socket to fit it, and push just a little bit up.  There is some spring in the pin.  Another way it to have a crimp of some sort in the socket.

Anyway, I got fed up last night and just hardwired to the capsule.  I guess it was the medication (???) I took, made me see things in a new light :).  All I did was wedge a thin copper wire between the capsule metal and the plastic insert.  That connects to the body. I put another wire under the nut that holds the center pin.  In the process I clumsily dissassembled the capsule.  There is really not much there at all!  Just a gold (?) diaphragm, a backplate with holes, and some kind of opening in the back.  This is a single unit mounted on plastic, soldered to a spring, plus a metal sheet/grille in the front of the capsule, and a separator ring.

Anyway, all the parts near the capsule are worth $20 max, so I'm just going to glue-tape it up and cover wth copper foil.

I'll report with gruesome pics in a few weeks.

Richard

Yeah, Chris might have something there.
A strip of (springy) conductive metal, bent, so it can push against the pin on the capsules...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #303 on: September 28, 2006, 11:00:24 AM »
well I have taken a slew of very detailed shots of my ck1x caps, the mk46 active cables' lemo connectors and 460 body connectors, and I can share them here if I can figure out how to reduce their pic size, photos are very detailed and should help move this project along

Offline grider

« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2006, 11:06:16 AM »
here is a good shot of female end of 460 body and male connector from mk46 active cable connector
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:38:06 PM by grider »

Offline grider

« Reply #305 on: September 28, 2006, 11:10:13 AM »
another of the mk46 connector into the 460 body

Offline grider

« Reply #306 on: September 28, 2006, 11:13:52 AM »
and lastly, one of the lemo connection on the back of the ck1x capsule and the end of the mk46 active cable, I have many of these pics if anyone would like to see more of them, if so pm me

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #307 on: October 16, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
Anyone have a broken A61 sitting around? I would love to try and take one apart to see what is inside. I've been trying to find a cheap one or a VR61 extension tube to take apart and screw around with.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:38:22 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:52 PM »
so has anyone been in contact with the maker of the nbox to see about making an akg version of the nbox ???

anyone have his info? isnt his name nick?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2006, 05:12:52 PM »
so has anyone been in contact with the maker of the nbox to see about making an akg version of the nbox ???

I don't know about the other projects, but I'm still dragging my feet on my project.  I've been pretty busy this (fall) term and, well, I bought and hacked an R4, and oh yeah, I taped a lot of shows too...
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2006, 05:50:16 PM »

I don't know about the other projects, but I'm still dragging my feet on my project.  I've been pretty busy this (fall) term and, well, I bought and hacked an R4, and oh yeah, I taped a lot of shows too...
  Richard

oh i wasnt trying to rush anyone, just didnt know if anyone had contacted the nbox maker to see if he could do a prototype or something of sorts :)

I def appreciate all of the work you are doing too Richard and hope that someday we can see the fruits of everyones efforts :)

why did jon have to go MIA ??? does anything think he got killed? maybe he ripped the wrong person off ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
I don't know the frist thing about making any thing like this but how hard would it be to make a box that could run any set of caps. Like the mbho, mg, schoeps and so on. That way you would just have to chang the cable and you could use the caps that you like. I would think that all mic are the same on the inside.  ???

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »
Well the thing that seems to differ in terms of the schoeps vs. the other caps mentioned is that the Schoeps have a seperate conductor on the capsule for polarization.  AKG, MBHO,MG and others have only one contact and ground.  Richard where did you source the 1 Gig resistors you used?  I asssume you are using those to strip the 50-60 volts  to polarize the capsule, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Nick

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
Well the thing that seems to differ in terms of the schoeps vs. the other caps mentioned is that the Schoeps have a seperate conductor on the capsule for polarization.  AKG, MBHO,MG and others have only one contact and ground.  Richard where did you source the 1 Gig resistors you used?  I asssume you are using those to strip the 50-60 volts  to polarize the capsule, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Nick

1G resistors are from Digikey.com.  Something like $3 to $5 each.  I need two per capsule.  All in all, the parts are not expensive.  And, yes, it should be possible to run any cap on the end.  Provided you've got a good physical and electrical connection to the capsule.  At this point I'm leaning towards a "hard" connection to the capsule for reliability, but anything is possible.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
I searched high and low at digi key and could not come up with that value.  Any chance you have a part # available?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com