Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 99797 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 02:24:40 PM »
So how come we can't put this kind of effort into finding bin Laden?
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »
Has anyone thought of reverse engineering a JKLabs box?

Can you elaborate, Chuck?

I thought the box was a piece of the puzzle...  :-[
I know some good machinists if we have to get parts made...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  As for JK Labs box owners, here's what I've been able to gather off the board.  Granted, these are AKG boxes primarily.  There are one or two of them that are MG, which we know will work for other caps dependent upon the corresponding cables.

Charlies

ToddR - pics

Raoulduke - Geffell/AKG JK Labs box.  pics

Jon Ice

jlizard1969 runs both AKG & MG with her JK Labs box & has cables for both. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 02:39:21 PM »
- Who can build this for us.  Is it Nick of Nbox fame or dp we find an outside engineer.

you should PM nick aka "schoepsnbox".
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 02:41:11 PM »
- Who can build this for us.  Is it Nick of Nbox fame or dp we find an outside engineer.

you should PM nick aka "schoepsnbox".

Thanks, Craig.  I know he's mentioned working on something for the AKG's in 2006.  I pm'd him about them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back from him yet.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »
OK, I've put some stuff on my webpage:

These are the bodies of the C460:  PDF document from AKG, page 2 has schematic.  Images from Gumbino...
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460_img1.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460_img2.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460.pdf

Just for fun, here are two pictures of my lastest project, a phantom power adapter for *CK91* caps.  It takes phantom power in and provides 3-wire DC for *electret* mics, AT853, CK91, etc.
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/ph_box.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/ph_box_open.jpg

As for making the CK6_ actives, we need:
- 62V power supply, from either 48V or 9V
- FET *at the capsule*.  Some kind of housing (or more likely, just glue + shrinkwrap + copper shielding) that contains a   FET.
- some kind of phantom or battery box like I've shown above.

Note that there is no need for bodies.  They are just fun to look at...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
OK, I've put some stuff on my webpage:

These are the bodies of the C460:  PDF document from AKG, page 2 has schematic.  Images from Gumbino...
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460_img1.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460_img2.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/C460.pdf

Just for fun, here are two pictures of my lastest project, a phantom power adapter for *CK91* caps.  It takes phantom power in and provides 3-wire DC for *electret* mics, AT853, CK91, etc.
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/ph_box.jpg
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG/ph_box_open.jpg

As for making the CK6_ actives, we need:
- 62V power supply, from either 48V or 9V
- FET *at the capsule*.  Some kind of housing (or more likely, just glue + shrinkwrap + copper shielding) that contains a   FET.
- some kind of phantom or battery box like I've shown above.

Note that there is no need for bodies.  They are just fun to look at...

Richard

the photos of the C460 bodies are the JW modded 460s
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline PG

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 02:51:26 PM »
Posting because I want to follow this thread. +T to everyone.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »
- We need to decide on what exactly we want out of this.  Its not as easy as saying"I just want actives"

In fear of opening the floodgates, this is something we all need to give some thought.  Let's all try to be realistic, though.

Here's what I'm interested in:

1) A box that has the option of a) providing phantom 48v and variable gain from 0 to ? AND b) not providing anything other than acting as the bodies.  Ideally, it could operate either way so it could be used as actives only for running infront of other gear that provide the phantom power & gain (i.e. M148 / V3), or it would operate as an all in one in front of an ADC/capture device for stealthing.

2)  An extension cable for the AKG 460/480 mics that allow for running the caps remotely from the bodies.  This would allow the caps to be run remotely from the JW Mod AKG bodies, similar to the MBHO actives..  Ideally, an it would allow for the option to run the bodies in the chain with the box.  This would possibly require more work than it's work, or not be feasable at all.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 03:00:02 PM »
- We need to decide on what exactly we want out of this.  Its not as easy as saying"I just want actives"

In fear of opening the floodgates, this is something we all need to give some thought.  Let's all try to be realistic, though.

1) A box that has the option of a) providing phantom 48v and variable gain from 0 to ? AND b) not providing anything other than acting as the bodies.  Ideally, it could operate either way so it could be used as actives only for running infront of other gear that provide the phantom power & gain (i.e. M148 / V3), or it would operate as an all in one in front of an ADC/capture device for stealthing.

2)  An extension cable for the AKG 460/480 mics that allow for running the caps remotely from the bodies.  This would allow the caps to be run remotely from the JW Mod AKG bodies, similar to the MBHO actives..  Ideally, an it would allow for the option to run the bodies in the chain with the box.  This would possibly require more work than it's work, or not be feasable at all.

#1 is a possibility and has in fact already been done (JK Labs).

I thought the whole purpose of this "project" was to make #2 a reality?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »

You're asking the right questions.  But I would aim for #1 since it means you could buy the caps only.  The bodies are much more expensive than the caps, so why buy them if you don't need them.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
lixard1969 is a male.

here's a link to "team jk labs"
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51923.0;all

Are you sure, Tim?  Their profile says female, and a couple people refer them as "her" in the team board.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »
the secret is not the box.

Tim is right...when I was corresponding with Jon before he disappeared he told me the value in what he did was in the cabling as the housing was difficult to create and had to be done to pretty specific standards otherwise all kinds of noise was introduced. 

I remember asking him can I just take the PCB board out of the bodies and put them in a box behind cables with the caps on them and he said it wasnt anywhere near that easy...he explained to me, though I still dont understand completely the cables had to have electronics built into them, at the cap mount, since the bodies were seperated.

Not trying to dissuade anyone, I hope it works...just relaying a conversation

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »
I remember asking him can I just take the PCB board out of the bodies and put them in a box behind cables with the caps on them and he said it wasnt anywhere near that easy...he explained to me, though I still dont understand completely the cables had to have electronics built into them, at the cap mount, since the bodies were seperated.

That's funny; I'm planning on doing the exact same thing with mine once they come back from service.  I probably won't take the PCBs out of the bodies though - just find a DIY project box that will keep everything together and easily connectable.  XLR punch outs on both sides maybe.

The AKG bodies with active ends and XLR cables connected to them are HUGE.  Much larger and bulkier than my KM140s were.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »

You're asking the right questions.  But I would aim for #1 since it means you could buy the caps only.  The bodies are much more expensive than the caps, so why buy them if you don't need them.

Richard

I agree that my item #1 would be the best approach for a new taper looking to get an affordable stealth/open AKG rig.  Realistically, more people are going to use the all in one box vs. the extension cables, IMO.  Therefore, I see the extension cables being on the back burner until the AKG actives/box is finished. 

However, my wants/needs are different than this person.  I love the JW Mod 460 sound, as do many others here.  If there is no way to make the actives/box work with the bodies, I'll grab one for stealth/lowpro and hold onto my JW Mod bodies for open situations. 

Additionally, I look at it as an opportunity to run 4 mic on-the-fly mixes since I own ck61/ck62/ck63 caps.  If the actives/box worked per my item #1, I could run

ck62 > AKG box > UA-5  PLUS ck61 or ck63 > JW Mod 460's > M148 > V3 > UA-5

and output a 24 bit signal from the UA-5 to my capture device.

For all I know, the extension cables aren't even an option, but it seems to me if you can create an active/extension cable that works with the box, then creating an extension cable to run between the caps & body is a possibililty. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com