Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100982 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »
There is an adaptor available to use the older Neumann caps (including the LD ones) on the AKG 451 series mics.  There is a guy in England who machines them. Im sure there are other possibilities for different mics/caps combinations if people checked into it and wanted to do the R & D.

As someone who tried this (451's and 460's with the above referenced machined adapters and vintage Gefell bayonet capsules) I can testify that it worked.  So an adapter to use different caps on different bodies is not so far-fetched.  I'm sure neither AKG nor Gefell expected anyone would ever make a hybrid from their mic components.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:14 AM »
There is an adaptor available to use the older Neumann caps (including the LD ones) on the AKG 451 series mics.  There is a guy in England who machines them. Im sure there are other possibilities for different mics/caps combinations if people checked into it and wanted to do the R & D.

As someone who tried this (451's and 460's with the above referenced machined adapters and vintage Gefell bayonet capsules) I can testify that it worked.  So an adapter to use different caps on different bodies is not so far-fetched.  I'm sure neither AKG nor Gefell expected anyone would ever make a hybrid from their mic components.

Dirk

How did that sound? I wonder how much the microphone body contrubutes to the overall sound. With a neutral microphone body, it would be cool to be able to have the option of using different manufacturers capsules.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »

How did that sound? I wonder how much the microphone body contrubutes to the overall sound.

Well I think the answer to that is do you like the 460 or 480.   I can tell a major difference between the two with the exact same caps.  I can also tell the difference in a more subtle way with the JW460 <> 480 comps.   

Alot of the thinking towards all of this is do you just want actives or do you want actives with that distinct AKG sound that you love before an active system has been developed?

As much as I want AKG actives for my 480's I don't (fingers crossed) want to sacrifice the sound that my ears love.  Ahhh problems of the world....

Offline Chuck

« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
I actually hadn't thought of it that way. I know the 460 bodies are transformer coupled, so they do sound different than the 480 bodies. I've never heard a direct comparison.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »
any change in the status on this?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »
Let me know if I can be of any help I have no interest in selling these things but I could help with the design I have alot of contacts in the mic building world and with AKG.

Chris Church

How did that sound? I wonder how much the microphone body contrubutes to the overall sound.

Well I think the answer to that is do you like the 460 or 480.   I can tell a major difference between the two with the exact same caps.  I can also tell the difference in a more subtle way with the JW460 <> 480 comps.   

Alot of the thinking towards all of this is do you just want actives or do you want actives with that distinct AKG sound that you love before an active system has been developed?

As much as I want AKG actives for my 480's I don't (fingers crossed) want to sacrifice the sound that my ears love.  Ahhh problems of the world....
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »

Dirk

How did that sound? I wonder how much the microphone body contrubutes to the overall sound. With a neutral microphone body, it would be cool to be able to have the option of using different manufacturers capsules.

How did it sound?  Not like an AKG, and certainly not like a vintage Gefell capsule.  The point mentioned in the posts above are pretty important.  A box will very likely change the sound characteristics.  You'll have AKG "actives", but they won't necessarily sound like your typical AKGs.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2006, 12:44:22 PM »
Does anybody have the flac files from that JWmod460 vs. 480 vs. 460 comparison done by gumbino a while back? I'm trying to decide if I should send my 460s into to JW for the mod, or sell 'em and get 480s... will be running into an mp-2 for now, and then likely an ACM 671 later this summer... shoot me a PM if you can help me with the comparison...

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »
Does anybody have the flac files from that JWmod460 vs. 480 vs. 460 comparison done by gumbino a while back? I'm trying to decide if I should send my 460s into to JW for the mod, or sell 'em and get 480s... will be running into an mp-2 for now, and then likely an ACM 671 later this summer... shoot me a PM if you can help me with the comparison...

Dude, you're a slut to look up (down?) to...

You haven't even got the 463's yet and you're planning to get the next upgrade.

++++++++++++++++++T for that one!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2006, 01:14:37 PM »

Dude, you're a slut to look up (down?) to...

You haven't even got the 463's yet and you're planning to get the next upgrade.

++++++++++++++++++T for that one!

Richard

Haha, well I've ran 463s before.... had 'em last summer. I bought them cuz they were super cheap, I got a great deal and I was planning to mod them when I got 'em... but yes, I am a slut lately, but a smart slut... I got a great deal selling the neumanns and now a great deal on 463s... couldn't resist re-joining team AKG.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
I've never heard the direct comparison recordings either. I have an idea in my head what the differences are, but it would be nice to hear a valid comparison.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »
I've never heard the direct comparison recordings either. I have an idea in my head what the differences are, but it would be nice to hear a valid comparison.

For that matter it would be interesting to hear the differences between ToddR's 480 active set-up and my full bodied 480's.
Has a comp like that ever been done?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »

For that matter it would be interesting to hear the differences between ToddR's 480 active set-up and my full bodied 480's.

ToodR does NOT have an active 480 setup.  He has an active ck6x setup.  Big difference.    FWIW, I believe the JW mods bring the speed of the 460's up close to the 480's.  I am biased and still prefer the 480 bodies but different ears hear diferent things.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »

ToodR does NOT have an active 480 setup.  He has an active ck6x setup.  Big difference.    FWIW, I believe the JW mods bring the speed of the 460's up close to the 480's.  I am biased and still prefer the 480 bodies but different ears hear diferent things.

Oopss...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »
Bumpidity Bump  :)
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com