Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100982 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »
OK, the next step is to build this into a collette at the mic capsule.  (So, does anyone have collettes for these capsules?)  Next I'll try to field test.

Thanks for your interest!

Richard

you prob saw this...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59577.msg830670#msg830670
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2006, 01:54:02 PM »
RIchard how is that you accomplished this in a matter of days, where others have been struggling for much much longer? will adding length to the cables cause any issues at all? i am really impressed and can't wait to hear some samples.

of course you accomplish this right after I finally acquire some active cables  :P

Unfortunately, this is the point in the process where problems can creep in, such as RF interference, noise etc...
It looks like Richard has the quick and dirty part done. I'll bet that the refining takes a bit longer.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
RIchard how is that you accomplished this in a matter of days, where others have been struggling for much much longer? will adding length to the cables cause any issues at all? i am really impressed and can't wait to hear some samples.

of course you accomplish this right after I finally acquire some active cables  :P

Unfortunately, this is the point in the process where problems can creep in, such as RF interference, noise etc...
It looks like Richard has the quick and dirty part done. I'll bet that the refining takes a bit longer.

Someone help me with the collettes and we'll see how long it takes :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2006, 02:55:28 PM »
Good job, Richard!  +T

Any chance of getting a crude schematic? 

Yeah, I'll post a "blackboard drawing" in a bit.

Richard

looking forward to the blackboard...

you are a frickin haxor animal  :P
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »

Richard

Assuming it is a metric thread pattern, somone w/ access to a digital caliper could figure this out for us.
how far, in millimeters it advances in one turn of the cap will give you the thread pattern.  While you are at it accurate internal and external diameters of boddies/caps will also be needed.

hopefully this is a standard pitch so a tap could be purchased.  Soft brass would be pretty easy to work through and engineering a mount for the center pin would be pretty easy.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

Richard

Assuming it is a metric thread pattern, somone w/ access to a digital caliper could figure this out for us.
how far, in millimeters it advances in one turn of the cap will give you the thread pattern.  While you are at it accurate internal and external diameters of boddies/caps will also be needed.

hopefully this is a standard pitch so a tap could be purchased.  Soft brass would be pretty easy to work through and engineering a mount for the center pin would be pretty easy.

Isn't the thread info shown on the product data sheets as an m19 x 0.75?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2006, 06:05:31 PM »
No they would not, because the AKG bodies have a FET in them already, what you see when you unscrew the cap is the connection between the FET and the capsule. 

You need a bare polarization voltage to transmit over a long enough distance to the FET at the capsule, there is no way to get that polarization voltage from the connector on the bodies.  This is what i've gathered from my ideas and experiments.

I don't know about that.  The ck_x caps have a FET in them if I remember correctly & they operate over the mk46.  Seems like the ck6_ could be operated in a similar fashion if a FET and ? was added in the collette.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »
No they would not, because the AKG bodies have a FET in them already, what you see when you unscrew the cap is the connection between the FET and the capsule. 

You need a bare polarization voltage to transmit over a long enough distance to the FET at the capsule, there is no way to get that polarization voltage from the connector on the bodies.  This is what i've gathered from my ideas and experiments.

I don't know about that.  The ck_x caps have a FET in them if I remember correctly & they operate over the mk46.  Seems like the ck6_ could be operated in a similar fashion if a FET and ? was added in the collette.

Exactly.  You need to add *at least* one FET in the collette.  I've added two, one to acts an buffer/amplifier and one to act as a constant current source for the amp.  So, in the collette I will put: two FETs, two 1Gohm resistors and a few other parts.  For now I'm going to just seal it with copper foil/tape and see if that works.

I'll post results when I do this.  But in the meantime, if the person with the Collettes wants to get back to me, that would be much appreciated.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: The AKG Actives Project. Prototype schematic.
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
No guarantees, but here is the circuit I used:

I will post again if I build in/near the mic capsule.

Richard

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2006, 07:38:21 PM »

Isn't the thread info shown on the product data sheets as an m19 x 0.75?

well that was easy.

Depending on how much realestate is needed in the collete it should be easy to work w/ a short run machine shop to get some made up.  The 1Gohm resistors are the bigest part in there(as pictured).  Depending on the wattage required/recomended they can be had as small as 1/4" by 1/4". 

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
Re: The AKG Actives Project. Prototype schematic.
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »
No guarantees, but here is the circuit I used:

I will post again if I build in/near the mic capsule.

Richard

Incredible Richard, +T!
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: The AKG Actives Project, making collettes.
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »
OK, I've got contacts at the machine shop here to build Collettes.   That will begin 1 August.  I've also got a query out to someone on TS.com who has collettes already made.  Either way, this *is* going to move forward...

See you in August...

Richard

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2006, 04:53:27 PM »
thanks for your hard work gentlemen, i cnat wait for this to take off ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2006, 05:07:27 PM »
Yeah, great work there Richard!

I live in the same town, so I'm hoping to see the progress on this first hand!

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2006, 06:25:35 PM »
please let me (or us) know if you need anything to fund this research and development. i'm interested if it comes to fruition, but in the meantime, i'm willing to help fund this project (as i'm sure alot of us would) with money or parts or whatever.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com