Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 100982 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: The AKG Actives Project. Prototype schematic.
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2006, 12:47:08 PM »
No guarantees, but here is the circuit I used:

I will post again if I build in/near the mic capsule.

Richard

Ok, looks like it's using a 9V battery box, thus you would not provide phantom 48V from your pre, but you could still use it to apply gain...

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »

Richard

Ok, looks like it's using a 9V battery box, thus you would not provide phantom 48V from your pre, but you could still use it to apply gain...

thanx...the only part i fully undestood from that was the extreme lower right corner of the board  ;D :nightfevah:

so...it looks like 9v on one line and 50-60v on the other  any electo's care to explain (in very simple terms) how that works?  and it looks like the 9v goes to one side of the cap(on sheild) and the 60v goes to the other?  am I even close or does all that stuff in the middle change the lines? (omg i suck at this) 
So...Im guessing this would be unbalanced?

Unbalanced Audio (3 pole XLR):

Pin 1: Ground / Screen
Pin 2: Signal
Pin 3: Ground / Screen (connect to pin 1)

COULD ( i dont' know enough to even know if this is valid theoretically) the power be on the Sheild(i guess this is pin 1/3 below) to use phantom power instead?  would that  change everything in between like the 1m's j201's, 22n etc.....? 

Sorry, im just trying to grasp the concepts here...like i said...i don't know shit
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »

Richard

thanx...the only part i fully undestood from that was the extreme lower right corner of the board  ;D :nightfevah:

so...it looks like 9v on one line and 50-60v on the other  any electo's care to explain (in very simple terms) how that works?  and it looks like the 9v goes to one side of the cap(on sheild) and the 60v goes to the other?  am I even close or does all that stuff in the middle change the lines? (omg i suck at this) 
So...Im guessing this would be unbalanced?

Unbalanced Audio (3 pole XLR):

Pin 1: Ground / Screen
Pin 2: Signal
Pin 3: Ground / Screen (connect to pin 1)

COULD ( i dont' know enough to even know if this is valid theoretically) the power be on the Sheild(i guess this is pin 1/3 below) to use phantom power instead?  would that  change everything in between like the 1m's j201's, 22n etc.....? 

Sorry, im just trying to grasp the concepts here...like i said...i don't know shit

The 9V you say there is the actual power to the capsule... the 50-60V is there to polarize the capsule (this is what Richard told me) and that source doesn't drain at all. I think the 50-60V was made up of a series of 9V batts in his prototype but I'm not sure what he's going to do now. These could easily be placed inside the battery box along with the single 9V for power I think. As for the rest of your questions, I have no clue, sorry...

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »

The 9V you say there is the actual power to the capsule... the 50-60V is there to polarize the capsule (this is what Richard told me) and that source doesn't drain at all. I think the 50-60V was made up of a series of 9V batts in his prototype but I'm not sure what he's going to do now. These could easily be placed inside the battery box along with the single 9V for power I think. As for the rest of your questions, I have no clue, sorry...

thanx...that is exactly what im trying to get outta this.... just the basics....
+T berg for your help man!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2006, 01:37:06 PM »
Is there a TRUE waiting list for these if they work out?

-Kevin

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2006, 01:45:27 PM »

-Kevin

Thanks Andrew for fielding the questions.

There is no "waiting list".  I am just building for myself (for now).  I'm hoping that if I give plans and building details someone can start selling these.  Hopefully Chris Church, Busman2, etc, will step up and help us out....  Unfortunately I don't have time/energy to build for others now.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2006, 04:23:48 PM »
Cool cool...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the bandwagon(which appears could be a good number of people if this goes into production).

-kevin

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2006, 09:14:58 PM »
Cool cool...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the bandwagon(which appears could be a good number of people if this goes into production).

-kevin

I would definitely be on this bandwagon.  :D
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2006, 01:50:34 AM »
OK, I stuffed the parts into the collette.

I'm getting a good signal out, no hum, but I'm getting some annoying "rushing" or "wind" type noises.  I think those are problems due to small currents, eg., solder flux, etc.

I have to get more serious about cleaning the parts and putting conformal coating on them.  I've also redesigned the circuit to reduce the # of parts inside the collette.

So, this is going to take some messing around.  I'm sure I can get it working, but it is not so easy as I thought...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2006, 03:56:56 PM »

-Kevin

I would think there would be an instant market for these cables, after all the 480 is "probably" the most widely used mid level mic among live music tapers and most of us would instantly lose the bodies if we could

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »

-Kevin

I would think there would be an instant market for these cables, after all the 480 is "probably" the most widely used mid level mic among live music tapers and most of us would instantly lose the bodies if we could

Mid Level by price Maybe... they're world class performers!   ;)

I can't think of anyone running 480's aside from a few Studio engineers that would NOT be interested in this project.  Foolproof stereo setup instantly ala Kwon Bar or similar... heck yeah!

{post corrected}
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 06:02:14 PM by Jammin72 »
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline grider

« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »

-Kevin

I can't think of anyone running 480's aside from Studio engineers that would be interested in this project.  Foolproof stereo setup instantly ala Kwon Bar or similar... heck yeah!

perhaps, but among members here, and on datheads, and laptoptapers, and the multitude of other sites, and ebay, there should be hundreds of interested buyers I would think

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2006, 04:24:30 PM »

-Kevin

I can't think of anyone running 480's aside from Studio engineers that wouldn't be interested in this project.  Foolproof stereo setup instantly ala Kwon Bar or similar... heck yeah!

perhaps, but among members here, and on datheads, and laptoptapers, and the multitude of other sites, and ebay, there should be hundreds of interested buyers I would think

I think he meant "woundn't" maybe?
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline grider

« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »

-Kevin

I can't think of anyone running 480's aside from Studio engineers that wouldn't be interested in this project.  Foolproof stereo setup instantly ala Kwon Bar or similar... heck yeah!

yep, shit, my bad, thanks and +T

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2006, 06:00:46 PM »

-Kevin

yep, shit, my bad, thanks and +T

Actually that would be MY bad.

Good god what is it about this board that makes me type funny.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com