Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MMA6000/R1 - Has the rolloff/impedance been determined?  (Read 4978 times)

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
MMA6000/R1 - Has the rolloff/impedance been determined?
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:15:51 PM »
The value of rolloff depends on the input of the recorder, and there have been posts detailing the values of the standard coresound and soundpro's battery boxes, as well as the input values of various recorders (M1, JB3, etc).

Has anyone cracked open a DPA MMA6000 to figure out what DPA based the 100Hz/12db rolloff against?  Also, has anyone determined what the input impedance is on the line-in of an R1?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:17:34 PM by deadhoarse »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: MMA6000/R1 - Has the rolloff/impedance been determined?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
I can test it, if someone tells me what to do... I don't know anything about these matters.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:21:05 PM »
I can test it, if someone tells me what to do... I don't know anything about these matters.

It would require opening the device and finding out what the values of the capacitors are.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »

It would require opening the device and finding out what the values of the capacitors are.

damn... sorry dude... I'm way too afraid to do that.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »
Is the mma6k built tougher than a DPA battery box?  If it's as easy to open, I'll crack mine open when it arrives.

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »
I have run the MMA 6000 with a D-100 numerous times..I never run the roll-off anymore,It has killed a few tapes.Its a whole lot easier taking bass out than adding it..

Offline joolz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 08:50:45 AM »
yeah, its too steep, if you have a bass influenced music. Its nice for cleaning up room noise in acoustic music, where theres not much risk of losing anyting below the hpf specs!

hey moke, I use DPA4061's (CS-HEB's) with a PZane BB roll-off mod, which I have been using. The last recording I did was in a smallish UK club-type venue and although its definitely the best I've recorded so far, the highs did seem a bit too pronounced, compared to lows. Do you suggest not using the roll-off option?
DPA4061>[SBM-1]>H120 (rockbox)

Offline joolz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »
by that description, yes.
I don't know that unit, or its capabilities.

I really like something around -6dB@75hz.
The mma6000 scheme of -12dB@100hz would be nice at half that steepness (-6dB@100).
At -6dB, you have a nice rolloff through the boominess of the 60hz range. By the time you get to the 60hz boominess range at -12dB, you really aren't hearing a lot of the low bass register.

I accidently ran the mma6000 hpf during one recording, and really didn't care for it.

OK, thanks. I'm not too sure on the specs of the roll-off, I bought used.
DPA4061>[SBM-1]>H120 (rockbox)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 10:53:24 PM »
i would worry about bass in post production.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:37:20 PM »
Bah...the MMA6k is sealed up pretty nice, looks like it has little rubber bits over the screw holes.  No sense taking them off to crack it open.  I may put up some MMA vs DPA battery pack picks for anyone interested in size comparisons.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 08:26:31 AM »
Bah...the MMA6k is sealed up pretty nice, looks like it has little rubber bits over the screw holes.  No sense taking them off to crack it open.  I may put up some MMA vs DPA battery pack picks for anyone interested in size comparisons.

please do!  I'm considering getting a battery pack for stealthier situations! +T

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 10:24:02 AM »
with regard to the bass roll function of the mma6000, I chose not to use it last week for Digable Planets, which I stealth taped, because I read a post here saying that the DPA4061 mics are high enough quality to handle bass in recordings that other lesser mics cannot; my Digable Planets proves this statement to be untrue, my recording is unlistenable it has so much bass and low end in the recording, and from now on any band I tape with this gear that is even marginally bass heavy will be recorded with the bass roll off function engaged

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 10:32:23 AM »
I think I've been in situations where it woulda been overloaded too... but the NJB3 died, so I never knew.  That evening there were like 8 tapes going at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor for Duo, and 6 or so got crushed for a variety of reasons, but mostly b/c of the bass.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 11:43:46 PM »
OK, thanks. I'm not too sure on the specs of the roll-off, I bought used.

The PZane (Zach Payne) battery boxes for the DPA 4061 mics roll off at -6dB@85hz.  But, Zach would make the boxes specific to the input of the device that the taper was using, so you may get different results depending on what the previous owner used.  He made my battery box specific to my Minidisc recorder's line-in, I since built a new box specific to my M1 DAT.

You can figure out what your box rolls off at by the values of the capacitors in your box, but Zach would cover the capacitors with glue, so you won't be able to tell...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com