Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR100ii and R44 with AA batteries recording time  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
DR100ii and R44 with AA batteries recording time
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
If I'm using phantom power on a DR100 mkii with the internal battery + the AA battery, how much recording time can I get?  Also if I plug in a USB battery can I still use internal + AA, or do I have to choose? I don't remember. I.e. if the USB battery goes, will it switch over w/o interrupting the recording? Also is it easy to get a replacement internal battery? I haven't used this one in a long time and I would need to test if it still holds a charge.

Same for R-44, if I'm recording w/ phantom power only on AA batteries, how much time will I get? I've only used an external battery with AA as backup or had it plugged into the wall outlet.  Anybody know some external batteries around 10000 mah that are small and good for it?

I plan to record a couple of the European DMB shows and I want to pack light since I'll be traveling for almost 2 weeks after the shows. When I moved to Thailand, I left everything (r-44, v3, batteries, etc) back in the US except the DR100. The DR100 is the better choice for size but I only ever used it as a bit bucket so I'm not sure how it performs (both in terms how it sounds and how long the battery lasts) with mics plugged into it. Also concerned that I haven't used it in a long time. I like the R-44 better overall (definitely more stable, never had it crap out on me for no reason) but it's bigger and I would need to have it shipped to a friend in the US for her to bring to me. I don't know what the state of my DVD batteries are that I used to use with it either, which is why I'd want to go AA only or buy a new external.

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
Re: DR100ii and R44 with AA batteries recording time
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »
I first started taping using a DR100mkII with 48v mics plugged straight into the XLRs with no preamp and phantom power on. It sounds OK without a preamp, but if you’re used to one you’ll probably find it won’t have as full of a sound.

It’s been a number of years, but I recall only getting about an hour (maybe less) with the internal battery and/or AA batteries when using phantom power. I finally switched to an external battery and was easily able to power it for 3-4 hours with an old Wally World DVD battery. I eventually added a preamp, so it became a bit bucket for a while until I upgraded my rig.

I think there’s an option of having the internal battery/AA used as a hot swappable backup to an external battery. I’m not 100% certain, so you might want to check the manual.

Good luck and enjoy the shows!
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DR100ii and R44 with AA batteries recording time
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
I first started taping using a DR100mkII with 48v mics plugged straight into the XLRs with no preamp and phantom power on. It sounds OK without a preamp, but if you’re used to one you’ll probably find it won’t have as full of a sound.

It’s been a number of years, but I recall only getting about an hour (maybe less) with the internal battery and/or AA batteries when using phantom power. I finally switched to an external battery and was easily able to power it for 3-4 hours with an old Wally World DVD battery. I eventually added a preamp, so it became a bit bucket for a while until I upgraded my rig.

I think there’s an option of having the internal battery/AA used as a hot swappable backup to an external battery. I’m not 100% certain, so you might want to check the manual.

Good luck and enjoy the shows!

I read the manual, it's hot swappable, which makes me a little happier, but it only goes one direction (from main to backup) and then you have to go into settings and change the backup to the main after you put in new batteries. But I'd burn through batteries if it''s only an hour on phantom power. Do you power it with a battery via USB or via the actual dc power plug?  I would feel more comfortable w/ the R-44 simply for reliability, but size + larger external battery + and getting my friend to agree to bring it, lol.  I'm used to a V3 but I've run mics to the R-44 directly before, and done 4 channel w/ 2 channels digital in and the other 2 via xlr, either 2nd set of mics or a board feed.

I think ultimately I need to test the Dr100 this weekend and see what happens.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com