Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 103858 times)

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
Nice job, Moke.  Easy, safe mod.

Safe:  sock, tape.

Not safe:  dremel.

:lol:
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline enaudible

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2006, 10:27:13 PM »
Now just kick it up a notch and add a wind screen!  Nice work on the handy custom "mod".... and nice battery info up there too!

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2006, 12:06:34 AM »
Now just kick it up a notch and add a wind screen!  Nice work on the handy custom "mod".... and nice battery info up there too!

The windscreen mod for the internal mics would be a piece of cake. The chrome metal grills that cover each of the mics are removable from the inside. You simply slide them out and put micro windscreens in their place. FYI - the internal capsules are mounted internally at a ninety-degree angle from each other and are actually pointing to the top of the recorder and not the sides as one may assume by looking at the unit.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

dorrcoq

« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2006, 01:15:50 AM »

FYI - the internal capsules are mounted internally at a ninety-degree angle from each other and are actually pointing to the top of the recorder and not the sides as one may assume by looking at the unit.
dB-

Interesting!  Thanks for the info

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2006, 03:38:20 AM »

The windscreen mod for the internal mics would be a piece of cake. The chrome metal grills that cover each of the mics are removable from the inside. You simply slide them out and put micro windscreens in their place. FYI - the internal capsules are mounted internally at a ninety-degree angle from each other and are actually pointing to the top of the recorder and not the sides as one may assume by looking at the unit.
dB-

Awesome, seriously didn't now this. Thanks so much!! +T

I'm glad it saves me from even thinking about opening this bad boy up. I would like for it to stay in one piece for many more years to come.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »
Just got 6 hours and 40 minutes from a set of Sony 2100 mAh rechargeables.

My two runtime tests with different brands of rechargeables lead me to the conclusion that you can calculate the runtime of the R-09 at 24-bit/48kHz/Line-In as follows:
Runtime in minutes = Capacity of the batteries in mAh * 0.19
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »
I purchased a generic SanDisc look-a-like 4gb card on eBay for $76 last week.
it came yesterday, and I was getting nerveous because my built in SD reader in my lappy wouldn't read / write / format, nor would the R-09.

Luckily, my camera could format it, and then it works in the Edirol.  even w/files written on it (did a 80 min 24/48 test), the laptop or my external CF reader wouldn't see the files, and would want to format the chip.

the r-09 via USB to my laptop worked out just fine as far as transfering goes.  but i'll always have to format it w/my camera.

just an FYI

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2006, 12:56:44 PM »
also...
for those out there who now need two types of memory (like me) for recording devices, there is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ALKIE/104-7636594-5968751?n=172282

though, its not easy to find in the states, from my innitial searches.  looks like there are lots of them in the UK though.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »
It does have a digital out though.  I have not tested it to see if its hot while recording.

Tried it this morning going into a jb3 and it is active while recording.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
but i'll always have to format it w/my camera.

Have you tired formating the card using the computer while the SD card is still in the R09? That's how I format my card.
Retired Taper

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »
but i'll always have to format it w/my camera.

Have you tired formating the card using the computer while the SD card is still in the R09? That's how I format my card.

On a side note does anyone know how to format the SD card the way Rick mentions with a Mac?

I'm just curious as I couldn't figure it out, so I went down to Best Buy and formatted my card one of their demo computers  :P
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2006, 04:31:22 PM »
I ran the r09 out of the v3 analog outs last night.. It was able to take a really hot signal without clipping. So there should be no worries about plugging the r09 into any board output, etc.  Haven't listened to it yet.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »
yes, i've also noticed that this thing can take a VERY HOT signal. 
no way it will ever brickwall on a mic/line signal

fuck yea Edirol
who ever thunk that some shit division of Roland would come up with such kick ass taper products.  they've done us right!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 06:18:08 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2006, 09:11:20 PM »

dB-

Indeed...but it's 120 degrees.

While I am talking about the internal mics (and after reading both the R-09 mega-threads  :) ) I can only assume that 99% of the people here either

1. Record amplified music.

AND

2. Record with external microphones

OR

3. Record an external pre-amp + External Mics.

I say this because if you are trying to use an R-09 to record ambient sounds using the internal mics, you will need to have the switch to high-gain and the recording level between 15-20 in order to get a decent level. Under these circumstances the preamp-noise in the R-09 internal mic preamp is very noticeable, I am surprised to see so few people mention it. I say this so that anyone thinking to use the internal mics on birds/nature etc is not surprised and disappointed.

High gain mode is only really OK if you can get close enough to the source to achieve -6 dB with level settings of 10 or less (not common). If you have a source sound that is loud enough to let you switch to low gain then the internal mic + internal mic preamp noise is not an issue.

If (as I suspect most people here are doing) you can preamp an external mic and feed the R-09 a line-level signal, then I agree, that is the unit is more than good enough to make use of the 24 bit recording mode and recordings are 'quiet'.

Regards Scott.
www.digifishmusic.com
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 11:05:17 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »
[Indeed...but it's 120 degrees.

While I am talking about the internal mics (and after reading both the R-09 mega-threads  :) ) I can only assume that 99% of the people here either...

Scott, thanks for the internal mic info.  I think you're correct about people mostly using external mics here, and preamps for quieter ambient stuff.  My experience is similar.  Once I plugged in some quality mics I didn't use the internals much.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com