Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: compression problems  (Read 10579 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ISO Fast Glass
    • übergeek
Re:compression problems
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2003, 12:36:23 PM »
i get that message all the time on shows i transfer using wavelab.  it's never been a problem to people who have downloaded.

Yes, but are you tracking in CD Wave?  CD Wave is supposed to strip all that extra header stuff out when it saves as tracks.  As long as CD Wave is the last step before encoding, you shoudln't receive any errors or warnings when encoding to FLAC.

yes.  not sure what's going on then.

Wow, very interesting.  What version of CD Wave are you using?  I'm very curious to find out what's going on.
What I'm listening to this week:

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 12:42:57 PM »
1.91 beta

i guess i should double check to make sure i'm not giving you bad info!  i'll check back in a few minutes

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 12:48:18 PM »
ok, i was giving you bad info...i just compressed a couple files created in wavelab and tracked in cdwav and get no sub-chunk PAD message, so please disregard all i just said.

::)

Offline MikeW

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ISO Fast Glass
    • übergeek
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 12:53:11 PM »
ok, i was giving you bad info...i just compressed a couple files created in wavelab and tracked in cdwav and get no sub-chunk PAD message, so please disregard all i just said.

Right on...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 12:55:13 PM »
so in the end, thought, the sub-chunk PAD message still shouldn't be a problem, right?  thanks for your help Mike!

Offline MikeW

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ISO Fast Glass
    • übergeek
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 01:17:40 PM »
In and of itself, the warning message isn't a problem.  However, it indicates to me that something else is fucking with teh wav files before they are getting encoded to flac, and that may be a problem (sector alignment, etc).

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 01:35:16 PM »
This still doesn't address the question of why the sub-chunks are appearing while previously they were not, but - have you tried using SHNTool to remove them?

Have you un/re/installed any of your audio software lately?
Have you changed your post-production procedures at all?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline MikeW

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ISO Fast Glass
    • übergeek
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 01:47:58 PM »
This still doesn't address the question of why the sub-chunks are appearing while previously they were not, but - have you tried using SHNTool to remove them?

Have you un/re/installed any of your audio software lately?
Have you changed your post-production procedures at all?

That was what I was trying to say/ask.  No need to remove the extra header garbage with SHNtool, as FLAC will strip it when encoding (hence the warning messages).

Offline HanKDanK

• Someone lost a bet
    • My music list
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2003, 03:41:35 PM »
sorry - went out for a bit...

I just retransfered the show to my HD the same way I always have... tascam>wavlab@48>wav>resample@44.1>add fades in/out>cdwav(track)>flac

Now, i think i forgot to add fades and reopened the first and last tracks in wavlab to fade in/out - and if my memory serves me correctly those are the only two i tried to compress  ::)  Im going to do it all over again and ill let you know if I still get the same error even after tracking in cdwav...

-Hank

Don't try and tell me i haven't had a coke before...i've got a mind like a steel trap...the capital of djibouti is djibouti

Offline HanKDanK

• Someone lost a bet
    • My music list
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2003, 04:54:09 PM »
did it again with tracking in CDwav being the last step - no warning  ;D  Thanks all!!

-Hank

Don't try and tell me i haven't had a coke before...i've got a mind like a steel trap...the capital of djibouti is djibouti

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 06:05:43 PM »
Your shorten problem, I'm guessing, is happening on a machine running WinXP? You need to set the compatibility mode for MKW to Windows 2000, then it should work fine.

You're probably trying to encode wav > shn & append the seek table at the end of the file. If you set it to not generate the seek table I bet it will encode w/o problems, but that's not what we want.....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline HanKDanK

• Someone lost a bet
    • My music list
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2003, 06:25:25 PM »
Your shorten problem, I'm guessing, is happening on a machine running WinXP? You need to set the compatibility mode for MKW to Windows 2000, then it should work fine.

You're probably trying to encode wav > shn & append the seek table at the end of the file. If you set it to not generate the seek table I bet it will encode w/o problems, but that's not what we want.....

yeah, I did all that, set the compatability, tried keeping the skt file seperate... no dice.  uninstalled, reboot, reinstall - tried a dozen times with multiple wav files, still same error message  :banging head:

you got anything else for me  :P

Thanks,
-Hank

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2003, 07:51:40 PM »
I have that problem with MKW in win2k as well. I cannot appent a skt when encoding. I switched to SHNtool for this, though I'm mostly using FLAC now anyway.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline HanKDanK

• Someone lost a bet
    • My music list
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2003, 08:21:12 PM »
thats what I say - I got one compression that works, and eventually its all going to be 24bit audio anyway, so screw SHN  :P

-Hank

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2003, 08:36:25 PM »
Hank - I find FLAC to be infinitely more user friendly than MKW/SHN,

and I'm still doing lowly 24bit
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com