Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Which portable recorders can be controlled with your phone?

(1/4) > >>

robgronotte:
Whenever I get my next recorder, I would like to get one that can be controlled with my phone so I'm not looking into my bag to adjust things.  My eyesight is getting worse, I occasionally will press the wrong button, and it's not very stealthy to keep fiddling with it.

A friend has the Sony A10 with bluetooth and a phone app and likes it, but I'm curious what else is available and used by people here for comparison.  I have also seen that some slightly older models used a wifi connection between recorder and phone, but I don't know how that works.  Definitely would want a system that works in the field when no wifi network is available.

loughney:
I have the A10 and am happy with it. I think the latest Zoom recorders have a bt option.

thebigredone:
The Roland r-o7 and the Olympus LS-P5 also. The BT can be slow to connect though, the A10's is almost instantaneous.

morst:
Sound Devices MixPre can be started, stopped, monitored, and the metadata edited via the mobile "wingman" app but it does not allow users to control input levels.
On the new 32 bit "Mark II" versions, this might not matter!?

The mixpre pairs with bluetooth in a different way than the A10. The mixPre doesn't require the user to go through the system menu, it just works when it's in range and the password is correct.

commongrounder:
The Tascam Portacapture X8 and X6 both have remote control via an accessory Bluetooth module. There are iOS/iPadOS and android apps available. I use the iOS app with my X8 and it is solid, with full control. I also have the Zoom F3 and can confirm the Bluetooth (also with accessory module) control works reliably. The Sound Devices MixPre series has built in Bluetooth. As others have already commented, the Wingman app has remote metering and track arming/naming, along with file naming and some metadata entry/reporting. I wish it had 100% recorder menu access, though. It works solidly, but Wingman is ripe for a refresh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version