Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low pops in the recording - what would cause them?  (Read 249 times)

Offline lpmaskman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
Low pops in the recording - what would cause them?
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:39:57 AM »
I just taped two shows in the last week, one openly and one stealth. The issue is: I hear little, low fequency random pops in my recording (similar to kick drum): see attached image.

I built a new batter box for my AT853/ATM356 mics based on poorlyconditioned's schematics. (Already built one last year and that worked without these problems, I just wanted to build a smaller one).

During the first recoding in last friday I taped openly, mics fastened to camera tripod. I only heard those pops during the intro and preshow music, however the tripod was in the FOH area and there were some movement by technicians and I tought probably this cause the issues because I saw some little movement on the video, like they pushed the tripod back and forth. It was only on right channel.

The 2nd recording was done yesterday stealthly, also video taping from hand, the mics were mounted on me. I see randomly appearing pops in the recording. I tought these are caused by my movement?

I tired to reproduce these issues at home with my 2 battery boxes and I wasn't succesful. But touching the mics and rubbing them to clothes caused similar artifacts.
Also the recording is clean, no distortion even when I was close to speakers.

This might be a battery box problem or just placement problem?

Tomorrow I'm gonna tape again stealth and gonna bring my both battery boxes and try again.
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Low pops in the recording - what would cause them?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 11:09:58 AM »
clean the jack and plug w Isoprop alcohol  could be a dirty connection or the input could be intermittent.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 11:38:23 AM »
I just taped two shows in the last week, one openly and one stealth. The issue is: I hear little, low fequency random pops in my recording (similar to kick drum): see attached image.

I built a new batter box for my AT853/ATM356 mics based on poorlyconditioned's schematics. (Already built one last year and that worked without these problems, I just wanted to build a smaller one).

During the first recoding in last friday I taped openly, mics fastened to camera tripod. I only heard those pops during the intro and preshow music, however the tripod was in the FOH area and there were some movement by technicians and I tought probably this cause the issues because I saw some little movement on the video, like they pushed the tripod back and forth. It was only on right channel.

The 2nd recording was done yesterday stealthly, also video taping from hand, the mics were mounted on me. I see randomly appearing pops in the recording. I tought these are caused by my movement?

I tired to reproduce these issues at home with my 2 battery boxes and I wasn't succesful. But touching the mics and rubbing them to clothes caused similar artifacts.
Also the recording is clean, no distortion even when I was close to speakers.

This might be a battery box problem or just placement problem?

Tomorrow I'm gonna tape again stealth and gonna bring my both battery boxes and try again.

I have a vintage stereo mic that is going to the shop next week for this exact same problem - intermittent pops in one channel. The tech I spoke to about it indicated that it is likely a failed component (like a dead capacitor due to age). It's unlikely that one of the components used to make your battery box is bad if they are new parts but it's not unheard of for manufacturing defects to happen. Maybe a failed solder connection that's intermittent?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:42:36 AM »
I suspect the cords as well--replace those rascals.  90% of the time, when I get pops and drop outs, its the cord.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline lpmaskman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 12:24:39 PM »
Another test on desk proved it's the new battery box issue. Older build of same bb works flawlessly for me and only the new one produces these pops and only on left channel.
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com