Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio upgrade for Sony Ax100 4k?  (Read 5667 times)

Offline calvinroots77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audio upgrade for Sony Ax100 4k?
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
I'm brand new to video recording.  Just purchased the Sony AX100 4k camcorder. I will mainly record my band (and others) in venues anywhere from bars to 1000 capacity clubs.  I purchased the Rode Video Mic Pro Plus but am wondering if the Stereo Video Mic Pro may have been a better option (or the stereo video mic X).  Also, if you have any other video mic suggestions, please share.  I also tape audio with CA-11s>CA9200>Edirol R09hr... Wasn't sure about running my line out to my AX100.  I appreciate any feedback.  Thank you
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:36:54 AM by calvinroots77 »
CA-11s > CA9200 > Edirol R09HR

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Audio upgrade for Sony Ax100 4k?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »

I wouldn't use a separate video mic if I had an audio rig. The compromise is you have to record both from the same location which is sometimes not ideal.

I use the output of my audio rig to feed my video camera 100% of the time. Finding the sweet spot for adjusting output level to input sensitivity takes a little practice.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »
I agree.
No need to use a camcorder mic if you run an audio rig as well. Synching in post is not that difficult. I use the PluralEyes plugin in my editing program. Works goods most of the time. And when it does not, manual synching isnt that difficult at all either. 

PluralEyes
https://www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-pluraleyes/
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline calvinroots77

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
I really appreciate the feedback.  I may get a chance tomorrow to play with the set up.  If I'm not able to get ahold of my audio gear in time for tomorrow, I may just try out the VMP+ to see how it does.  Now I'm really looking forward to just running the out of my Edirol.  I've read different things on finding that sweet spot.  Some have said low level on the Sony and higher from the Edirol while others have said medium volume on Sony and dial the Edirol back a touch.  I've taped audio for 20 years and feel like I'll probably start with the mics hotter and the Sony more on the low side.  I figured that's gotta cut down on noise from it.  Although some have said the opposite.  Thanks again for chiming in. 
CA-11s > CA9200 > Edirol R09HR

Offline nomotrouble

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
I usually make 3 audio recordings to go with my video, so i either make a matrix or use the best one. I always edit the audio in during post, it's not that hard to align. This way i'm not stuck with audio from the location i'm videotaping from. I like to put one set of mics right in front of a stack so it gets more music than audience. But every venue is different, hence i have two remote audio setups, and one set on my head. And the ability to get a soundboard if that works out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com