Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Duo USB  (Read 3734 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
M-Audio Duo USB
« on: December 28, 2003, 08:59:57 AM »
Another low-end  SPDIF/USB/ Mic Pre with phantom that "delivers fidelity typically found only in more expensive gear."

Why does that phrase worry me as much as "Pro" in the name or description of a product ? Ah, I digress...

Has anyone used the Duo USB ?
Does it hold up to the UA-5 ?
Any mods around for the M-Audio ?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:M-Audio Duo USB
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 12:51:22 AM »
AC powered, if that affects your decision at all

zowie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 09:52:51 AM »
Does hold its own against the UA-5 sound-quality wise.  Some think its preamps are better.  I haven't directly A-B'd them, but own the Duo and have heard tapes from the UA-5.  Functionality is different.

Offline douglas_annis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a Duo, but I was wondering if it can be used to reliably record 24/96 to a laptop via the USB 1.1 interface.

Has anyone done this (with the Duo or any other USB device)?  Or is this not possible because of the bandwidth limitations of USB 1.1?

Firewire's bandwidth should easily handle 24/96 recording, right?  But is the firewire interface (of say, the Firewire 410) stable and reliable for recording to a laptop?

Thanks for your input.

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 03:57:32 PM »
24/96 is not reliable over USB1.1, i think it can only handle up to 48kHz.  if i were you i would get the firewire 410.  easier to power and can do higher sampling rates, 192kHz i believe.  i think mterry uses one on this board, and all i have heard is positive things.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:56:50 PM »
AC powered, if that affects your decision at all

This makes it difficult to use in the field.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

zowie

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 06:53:43 PM »
It does record in 24/96, so I have to wonder if Chase commented on reliability without having ever used it.  (I also do not believe the FW410 records in 192, but I haven't used one yet.)

I have recorded about 4 hours in three separate sessions with the Duo no reliability problems.  My computer has USB 2.0, but since the device is 1.1 I don't know that that matters.

I like the mic pres.  I like that it can operate stand alone (w/o disabling it from doing PC>USB.

The main drawback is powering it.  (Hardware output control is also conspicuously absent.)

Offline mfh2014

• Taperssection Regular
  • Rock
    • bigherm
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 07:20:28 PM »
The FW410 only does 24/96 recording..it says it can output 24/192 through the analog outs...in any case, i've found it to be incredibly stable when using the analog ins...but ive had some stability issues when using the S/PDIF in...but i think ive got it resolved...fwiw, im using win2k and samplitude 7.02 with ASIO drivers...

matt

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 09:03:13 PM »
i used to own a duo but only used the s/pdif coax > dat, never the USB since i don't have a laptop.  i'm pretty sure that i have read many places that 24/96 is not reliable over USB1.1  (someone please correct me if i am wrong.)  not sure if the fact that you have USB2.0 on your computer may allow you to run 24/96 even though regualr USB1.1 won't cut it.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 02:25:55 AM »
One pro of the duo is that it has 2 level indicators instead of the UA-5's one -3dB clip light (someone remind me what the two represent...one is -6dB, right?).  Core sound makes a battery pack thingymabob that'll power the Duo.  Buddy of mine bought one of those setups used, but has only used it at home, so I can't say anything about it's performance.

Offline mfh2014

• Taperssection Regular
  • Rock
    • bigherm
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 03:35:45 AM »
FW410 has got 2 level meters per channel...a -20 and -3...word...why am i fluffing the 410..bed time

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 09:47:59 PM »
Fluffing the 410?  I thought that was my job? ;)

Definitely a great solution, though.  I've been running it for a couple of months now...it's awesome. :)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com