Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mp2 > SBM-1 cable  (Read 5259 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
mp2 > SBM-1 cable
« on: January 13, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »
I know the mp2 > modSBM-1 is a pretty popular combo, but what's the prefered way to join them?  Tape out on the mp2 > 1/4" on the SBM, or xlr on the mp2 > SBM?  I would think the xlr ends would be pretty bulky in comparison to the 1/8" out.  I think I read somewhere that the neutrix right angles don't fit in the mp2 because of the lip on the mp2...  

I don't actually have the SBM1 yet, but just planning ahead.   :)  Thanks!

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:mp2 > SBM-1 cable
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 01:02:05 PM »
I have used both, the mini out I believe is about -10db less than the xlr out, xlr is balanced and locks in, mini is not balanced and does not lock, meaning it could get yanked out.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Chris K

• Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
i use the 1/8" out of the mp-2 into the rca in's of the sbm-1 using a 1foot 1/8" to RCA cable (got the gold plated version at ratshack)

never had a problem with the mini connector getting yanked out, but maybe that's since i use the rakgear backpack and it is always connected. would be nice to have a right anlge mini though

oh, and right angles nuetriks will work for the mic inputs, but you sorta need to rotate the female barrel by dismantleing the coupler so that they are in 45 degree angles
   ___    ___
 (XLR)  (XLR)  
 /     /     \    \

straight up and down wouldnt work for me due to the screw-hole protrusions on either side of the xlr barrell
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:18:15 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chris K

• Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 01:21:10 PM »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
I know the mp2 > modSBM-1 is a pretty popular combo, but what's the prefered way to join them?  Tape out on the mp2 > 1/4" on the SBM, or xlr on the mp2 > SBM?  I would think the xlr ends would be pretty bulky in comparison to the 1/8" out.  I think I read somewhere that the neutrix right angles don't fit in the mp2 because of the lip on the mp2...  

I don't actually have the SBM1 yet, but just planning ahead.   :)  Thanks!

--hoyt

This is what I use and I use the mini out for almost all circumstances...it provides (as mentioned before) a lower signal which gives me more headroom to work with on the SBM-1.  That being said, I have both cables...the only time I can remember using the XLR->RCA was at an acoustic show, in order to get a hotter signal.

Also, to avoid the plug pull out issue with the mini, I got a mini->RCA made by Ed at kindkables.com and it has a right angle mini, which makes it more secure...especially if stealthing cause then you can tape it to the unit.

Nick
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:27:21 PM by nickgregory »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 01:26:22 PM »
Ed's a great guy, I'd highly recommend purchasing cables from him.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »
Ed's a great guy, I'd highly recommend purchasing cables from him.

ditto, i had a cable once upon a time made by him with a right angle mini...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »
Ed's a great guy, I'd highly recommend purchasing cables from him

I would agree...when I get to lazy to make cables, I go to him, and this happens more often than you may believe!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:28:10 PM by nickgregory »

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 01:37:24 PM »
Ed's a great guy, I'd highly recommend purchasing cables from him

I would agree...when I get to lazy to make cables, I go to him, and this happens more often than you may believe!

Thanks guys.  I've contacted him about that.  I hadn't thought about the mini popping out vs the locking of the XLRs.  I'm used to taping down the level on my d100 anyway, so I'll just tape the right angle mini now instead, since I won't need to tape the d100 with the SBM.

--hoyt

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 02:23:29 PM »
>>This is what I use and I use the mini out for almost all circumstances...it provides (as mentioned before) a lower signal which gives me more headroom to work with on the SBM-1.<<

XLR out is +4.  mini out is -10.  is the mp2 adding attenuation to the 1/8 out?  

i use the xlr outs when stealthing because i just don't trust the mini

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 02:28:19 PM »

good question....I would think that it would have to be.  The problem as I understand it is that you are either going to be attenuating the signal from the MP-2, or the SBM-1 (since as I understand it, the SBM attenuates what it sends out for any setting under 10).  

Any confirm this?  I could be mistaken.

And I understand using the XLRs while stealthing, but that unit gets long with xlr's coming in one side and out the other...

Offline hoyt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 02:35:43 PM »

When you used this for non-stealth, did you use the mini then, or still the xlr's?  Is there any loss using the tape out in terms of an unballanced line?

--hoyt

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »
>>And I understand using the XLRs while stealthing, but that unit gets long with xlr's coming in one side and out the other...<<

yeah, but it can still fit in a fanny pack for stealth jobs.  i just trust it more than the 1/8 connections that can come loose and lose a channel or something

>.When you used this for non-stealth, did you use the mini then, or still the xlr's?<<

i never had an sbm, so i was always running mp2 > a/d with xlr in, so i went xlr > xlr.  

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »

When you used this for non-stealth, did you use the mini then, or still the xlr's?  Is there any loss using the tape out in terms of an unballanced line?

--hoyt

I use the mini and have had zero problems with it.  I really think this is the way to go.  The mp-2 runs hot so there's really no reason you'll need that +4 db boost.  I don't think I've ever had my dials turned up past halfway, even for quiter shows.

And like has already been pointed out, for most mics you'll want to run the sbm-1 wide open and adjust the gain on the mp-2 accordingly.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 03:15:49 PM »
The 1/8" out is 10db less than the XLR out, but it isn't -10dbv vs. +4 dbu (think I've gotten those units right, I've forgotten offhand--at any rate the difference between a -10 consumer signal and a +4 pro signal is something like 11.6db, not 14db as they are actually measured with slightly different units).

Anyway, the 1/8" signal is not attenuated, the XLR signal is boosted as part of making it balanced again.  The 1/8" signal is cleaner (as the internal circuitry is essentially unbalanced, so this signal comes more or less off the main gain stage).  The XLR signal is sent through some additional circuitry (transistors I believe) to get it back to a balanced state, which is what boosts it 10db compared to the 1/8" out.

Since the 1/8" out goes through less circuitry, and since the SBM1 volume control is an attenuator (thus the signal goes through less of a variable resistor at higher settings--meaning best signal quality is when SBM1 is set to 10), I've always felt that running 1/8" out of the MP2 into the SBM1 is the best way.  That's the way I always ran it, probably did 60-70 shows and never had a problem with a bad connection with the 1/8", ymmv.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com