Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do, what to do???  (Read 20358 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
what to do, what to do???
« on: January 18, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
i just bought some new adk tl's and i've been thinking about what pre & a/d i'd like to run behind them.  to start out w/ i'm going to be running my pmod ua-5.  i have thought a lot about either getting a v3 or minime so i'd have a all in one pre & a/d.  but from the sounds of it most people are running a diff pre or a/d w/ them so i've been thinking of maybe saving a little cash and getting some of the older pre's & a/d.

these are some i've been thinking about psp-2 & the v2.  some of the a/d i've been looking at are AD500e, AD1000, & mod Sbm-1.  i am over looking anything?  the ad500 & ad1000 really make me nervous b/c apogge doesn't fix them anymore from what i remember reading.  anybody who has run the tl's have any comments on these diff. pre & a/d.  i think right now i'm leaning towards a psp-2 & mod sbm-1.  do they still even sell the psp-2 new anymore?  how much are they going for used these days?

Thanks,
justin
save

Jason B

Re:what to do, what to do???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 04:19:37 PM »
No, they do not make the PSP-2 anymore. You can find them for $600 to $700 used. I run both the V2, PSP-2 and modSBM-1 with my TL's. I have said this before, and I'll say it again, the V2 is the best overall pre for the TL's in my opinion. The PSP-2 has it places when it is the best choice, but overall, I like the V2 with them. TL > V2 > modSBM-1 will sound great.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 04:20:04 PM by Jason B »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »
...to be running my pmod ua-5.  i have thought a lot about either getting a v3 or minime so i'd have a all in one pre & a/d.  

is not the ua-5 an all in one?

well, you spent the extra money already on an upgraded preamp, so I would go for a nice a/d to run behind it(the p-modUA-5).  The modsbm-1 would be a nice choice.  If you want to dump the UA-5 as well, then I'm with JB

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 05:03:20 PM »
sorry i should have made this a little more clear.  it's either keep my ua-5 as a all in one unit, or sell it and get a diff. pre & a/d.  i don't think the pre in the ua-5 is up to par w/ a v2 or psp-2.  sounds like jason b has had a chance to run pretty much all of the pre & a/d i'm looking at and it sounds like the v2 & mod sbm-1 is the best choice.  anybody else what to chime in?
save

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 06:48:36 PM »
i think the v2 and mod-sbm1 would be a really nice combo with the tl's.  if you can get an ad500e at a really nice used price it might be worth it if it has been well taken care of and you can get a 30 day garuntee from the seller.

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 09:46:11 PM »
I have run TL > V2 > AD1000 it was probably my 2nd favorite combo. I'm sure mod SBM would be great too. My favorite would have to be m248 > AD1000 (what I run now.) I couldn't justify keeping the V3 I used for while. It is a nice pre (run hot) or AD (run low) but not both and at higher gain it just couldn't compare to my old V2 > AD1k tapes so I got rid of it. Now if your ready to go 24bit thats a different story. If you find a deal on a reliable Apogee snatch it up, thats if your willing to haul the batteries.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 09:48:47 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »
thanks for the comments so far guys, keep them coming!  i'm after researching prices i'm starting to wonder if i should just get a minime.  there's a used minime for $950 on the yard sale section.  a v2 seems to be running about $650 & $550 for a mod sbm-1.  has anybody done a v2 & mod sbm-1 vs. minime comparison?  right now i think i'm going to rule out the older apogee units just b/c i'm a little nervous about them brake down (unless i find a really good price on one of them).  

so right now i'm debating between v2 & mod sbm-1 and a minime....still thinking about the v3 a little too???  the minime seems like the best choice right now (cheaper & all in one box).  any others things i should consider?
save

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 02:18:23 AM »
i run v2>mod sbm1 and would love to do a mini comp if someone is willing to lend me one for the upcoming moe. show at the norva, great sounding venue in the mid-atlantic region, one of the best actually or the 9:30 club shows, ill take great care of it

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 07:10:22 AM »
i'd definitely be interested in hearing this comp. if u end up doing it.  come on somebody let him borrow you minime...you know u want to ;)
save

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 10:43:59 AM »
I wouldn't bother with that comp. The Apogee would clearly smoke the mod SBM. The dithering scheme isn't up to the UV22 challenge. Although it is unbeatable for its size, but if your running TL's size isn't an issue...
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 10:45:41 AM »
I wouldn't bother with that comp. The Apogee would clearly smoke the mod SBM. The dithering scheme isn't up to the UV22 challenge. Although it is unbeatable for its size, but if your running TL's size isn't an issue...

not a fair comparison though....with any apogee that is not called a minime you run the risk of having a $300-$500 doorstop.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 11:00:24 AM »

:lol:

the comp is between a line mod sbm-1 and a minime.... have you ever heard a mod-sbm-1? I just traded a minime for a modsbm-1 and cash, and I don't run crap. I've owned and/or run all of the apogee's and the modsbm-1 gives all of them a run for their money.

I'd take a modsbm-1 over an ad500e, ad1000 and a minime (if running 24bit isn't a concern). A stock sbm-1, blech... never cared for it but the modsbm-1 is a totally different beast that easily competes sonically with any of the apogee units without all of the apogee bullshit (poor ergonomics, large size,12v batteries on the older units, heat on the old units).

Go over to oade and do a search in the archives about the modsbm-1... you'll see it holds it's own.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 11:04:34 AM »
It definitely holds it's own, but come on Tim. It isn't up to par with the Mini Me. It sounds great, but the Mini Me is much smoother and refined sounding (to me). I do not think the Mini Me "smokes" the modSBM-1, but it does sound better.

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 11:08:27 AM »
The msbm-1 can NOT hold the ad1k. ;D

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 11:09:27 AM »
when run line in it does, not mic in...

when I make the jump to 24bit it'll be with a minime, no doubt about it. but if the choice is between v2->modsbm-1 and straight minime, and 24 bit is not a concern, then I'd give the nod to the v2/mdsbm-1 combo.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com