Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UPDATE: Help! DIY UA5 digi mod BUT no input2/r??  (Read 9687 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
UPDATE: Help! DIY UA5 digi mod BUT no input2/r??
« on: November 26, 2003, 07:29:39 PM »
I did the mod no problem, but now I only get input on my 1 input and nothing on input 2. I tried to record through the optical and both channels did come hrough but channel two was alot lower than 1. If its on mono I get both channels but not if I use stereo. i checked with different cables and mics so i know its thte UA5. What the fuck is the problem hear? I hope its not that I fucked this thing up  ??? ??? ???

Please help me  :crying:

Doug Oade rules!!!!! And o yes....I'm back baby I'm back!  8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 04:56:11 PM by stearnskid »

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
Attn. UA5 users: mono or stereo?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 02:09:00 AM »
I just got mine and digi modded it and I can only get a signal out of the input2/R if its on mono otherwise its extremely low and only can pick it upt hroug my optical (but its still really low, compared to the input 1/L. Any help would be great guys. Do I need to send the unit back?

Sterling

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:Help! DIY UA5 digi mod BUT no input2/r??
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 03:31:23 AM »
so... let me make sure i caught all that

you are using mics powered by the ua5 and you are trying to take an optical signal into your recorder?

what gear are you using besides the ua5?

Offline caymanreview

Re:Attn. UA5 users: mono or stereo?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 03:41:30 AM »
if you digi modded it yourself, when you opened the case you voided any warranty you may have had to begin with

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 09:31:07 AM »
I'm taking an otical OUT into my MD and yes the mics are pwoered by the UA5. When its on mono it works, otherwise the left channel 2/r is super weak.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 09:33:34 AM »
wow. i can thelp you there, sounds like ti may be a bad thing

im sure someone on the board can shed some light on this subject

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Attn. UA5 users: mono or stereo?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 11:22:39 AM »
hmmm...doesn't make sense that a digimod would affect this unless you slipped somewhere with the soldering iron.  The two spots that get work for the digimod are both in the digital domain where left/right are irrelavent.  Here's what I'd try, in order:

Switch the cables feeding into the left and right to confirm that it's actually the UA-5 and not your source device or cables?

Does the same thing happen with the rear inputs (just use a line level signal instead of mics)?

Have you tried any other type of connectors - the ones in the front accept xlr, 1/4" mono and 1/4" stereo.

Did you try the unit before the mod?

and lastly, please don't be insulted, but just to be sure, you do realize that there is a separate front gain knob for left and right  :P

Report back!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 11:52:49 AM »
I'm taking an otical OUT into my MD and yes the mics are pwoered by the UA5. When its on mono it works, otherwise the left channel 2/r is super weak.

You need to check those solder joints. If it's not a clean solid solder job you will have issues. Checking the unit before you did the mod to make sure it was functioning properly before you started is priceless. It wouldn't surprise me that it may have come out of the box with issues. But hey at a $225 price point they are basically disposable, no?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 12:03:20 PM »
Hey - let's keep all this in one spot.  Stearns - you decide where - move or close off one of these threads!

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=9970
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 12:08:47 PM »
Hey - let's keep all this in one spot.

Merged!!   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 06:24:46 PM »
Thanks for the help guys and happy thanksgiving. I tried the inputs int the back, all ecept the optical because i don't have the cable, but all worked fine. With the front inputs I used an xlr with two different mics and switched the cable once too. I also used a 1/4 input as well, all with the same results:

little to no output in the input2/r side unless I put it on mono in which point I can hear it through the headphones. Recording through the optical in the back gives the same results (no R input unless in mono mode)

I'm going to check my solder points again.

Then I'm going to put it back the stock way and check.

Any ideas let me know....I'll be in touch. :-[

Sterling

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 11:36:57 PM »
shit - that sucks.  Putting it back the stock way won't do anything for you because both spots deal with the signal in the digital domain.  So something with the front panel input is wrong (you did say you got both channels working fine on the rear inputs, right?)

The very faint signal you're hearing on the right may be nothing more than channel crosstalk.  How do the solder points on the front panel inputs look?  I don't have my UA-5 with me but I'm talking about the spot where that big XLR jack meets up with the pc board.  I think there's one connection on the top of the board and a couple on the underside.
here: http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/?c=v&ctype=large&first=17&count=1

and here http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/modified/?c=v&ctype=large&first=3&count=1

If you're feeling ambitious, you could plug an XLR cable in there and start doing continuity tests between the other end of the cable and the solder points on the board.  You can map them out with the input that works and check the one that doesn't.  Beyond that, you're into the electronics...
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 12:21:59 AM »
OK I'll try that...thanks for all the halp so far...I'm still optimistic  :) but only because I'm drunk... :drunk:

Sterling

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 01:14:33 AM »
I traced back as far as I could without my eyes bugin' out...i am wasted after all  ;D, but seriously I got continuity "fairly"similar all the way back to here:

http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/?c=v&ctype=large&first=21&count=1

The 105os3N5 guys with exact matches in continuity between both inputs.

However, in this picture:

http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/?c=v&ctype=large&first=17&count=1

The row of transistors marked 150s3k5, I got different readings of continuity that were not the same for the two inputs. Some I would get a reading on one side and ot the other and I got more readings from input 1 than from input 2 on the same 8 transistors. but again the continuity wa sthe same bcak a ways. What next besides crying?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 11:52:25 AM »
I'm sorry man....that's the extent of my diagnostic capability.  You may have found a bad transistor but I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to remove and replace it.  Maybe if you can undo your digimod in a reasonable clean manner, you could try sending it in for a warranty repair and hope nobody notices the fixed cut-trace by the USB controller.  The jumper should clean up nicely.

That really sucks.  Sounds like maybe you got a bum unit from the start.  Was it new?  Did you try it before taking the soldering iron to it?  I'll have to add that to my instruction page as a safeguard.

+T for the hassles

On the bright side (I know, there really isn't a bright side), if the transistors are the problem, this unit could become a guinea pig for other modifications since they'd be replaced anyways...
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 01:02:22 PM »
Hey now I can do it... +T to you sir!  :D. I am an optimistic fellow, at least when the medication kicks in!  ;).
Sterling

Offline studio_geek

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2003, 01:31:09 PM »
That sounds like a clock problem. You should post this over on the Oade Board if you want to get the the low down.

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »
Have you tried posting this on the Oade forum? Or emailing Doug? He's a pretty helpful dude. I bet he'd help you figure it out despite the fact that you didn't buy the mod from him.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

BobW

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 07:00:29 PM »
wanna sell the bad UA-5 as is, for my analog section hacking experiment?

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
Re:UPDATE: Help! DIY UA5 digi mod BUT no input2/r??
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2003, 04:57:22 PM »
Thats right....I back with a vengence and a whole new rig!!!

You know you guys are harsh...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 06:12:28 PM by stearnskid »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.471 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com