Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA 9100 as headphone amplifier - anyone tried it?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline mrruin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
CA 9100 as headphone amplifier - anyone tried it?
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »
I was thinking that Im not getting enough mileage out of my recording gear lately so I tried to use the CA 9100 as a headphone amp and it gave me excellent results. The sound really openend up and there seems to be much more detail in the mid and high range.

My question qould be, has anyone else tried this? Whats your experience? Is it even a good idea to do this or is it not recommended? And from a technical point of view: Can it drive high impedance headphones at all?
AT 943/h or U853/c > 3 wire "crown-royal" BB > ST 9100 preamp v2.0 > R-09
my shows: http://db.etree.org/mrruin *updated April 2nd 2007*
-------------
Team Europe

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CA 9100 as headphone amplifier - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
Paging Chris Church...good questions and I wonder if he could chime in.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
I was thinking that Im not getting enough mileage out of my recording gear lately so I tried to use the CA 9100 as a headphone amp and it gave me excellent results. The sound really openend up and there seems to be much more detail in the mid and high range.

My question qould be, has anyone else tried this? Whats your experience? Is it even a good idea to do this or is it not recommended? And from a technical point of view: Can it drive high impedance headphones at all?

Well I dont think that would work to well for a few reasons.. Number one the input is not designed for Hi line level signal. Second there is that pesky 8 volts of dc at the input to contend with that could quite easily blow up any playback device its connected too. Especially when you think hey an output usually does not expect to see a voltage going into it.. Not recommended you might get away with it a few times if there is protection caps on the output but if there is not "poof"
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SpareRibs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
Strangely I have an opposite curiosity, I have a portable headphone amplifier which runs on 9 volts. I was wondering if the 9 volt headphone amp could be used as a micpreamp. But not sure if it could damage the mics or recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com