Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about mic capsules choice for a specific location  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Question about mic capsules choice for a specific location
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
Hey there...I will be open taping a show next week where I will be set up far to the stage left side of an open air amphitheatre.  I am about 80 back from stage & 80 feet off center of the venue.  I have heard that the sound resonates throughout the entire bowl though. 

My question is, do you think I should use omni or card capsules?

I may have the ability to move position once i arrive...however, for the time being I am trying to figure out my best option given my specific location that I have to deal with.

I am thinking of using the omni caps as of now, but would like any/all feedback if anyone else has some experience with off axis recording?

Thanks!

Ryan in CA
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Question about mic capsules choice for a specific location
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
Hey there...I will be open taping a show next week where I will be set up far to the stage left side of an open air amphitheatre.  I am about 80 back from stage & 80 feet off center of the venue.  I have heard that the sound resonates throughout the entire bowl though. 

My question is, do you think I should use omni or card capsules?

I may have the ability to move position once i arrive...however, for the time being I am trying to figure out my best option given my specific location that I have to deal with.

I am thinking of using the omni caps as of now, but would like any/all feedback if anyone else has some experience with off axis recording?

Thanks!

Ryan in CA

Cardioids.. because you are so far back you will end up with a lot of crowd noise with omni and even though your in an outside amphitheatre especially the seating area can be very reverberant spaces.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »
The venue is actually pretty unique and is supported by donors who attend the concerts regularly.  Crowd noise is not really an issue.  Very respectful audience. 

I was told to set up at the stage left light pole...however, there are a couple different light poles that are stage left.  i scoped out the spot today and i am hoping that I get to use the one closest to stage.  It is the light pole that the speakers are hung on at about 35 feet high.

Do you think if I set up at the base of that pole with my stand at about 11 feet high I should use my omnis???

Thanks for the input Chris!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
even though I don't like XY that much, I'd prolly setup with that pattern, and aim at the stack on your side.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com