Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gear question  (Read 2304 times)

Offline jamesd256

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Gear question
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
Greetings to all tapers!

I wanted to get a couple of different perspectives on gear choice in the context of today's prices.  I'm looking for a recording device to give me a stealthier option than my current UMPC + USB audio solution.

It has come down to a choice between an iRiver h1xx w. Rockbox and an M-Audio Microtrack.    It seems I might pick up an iRiver for about £50, while the Microtrack is about £120 new.  I won't be bothering with the mic inputs or the built in mics on the Microtrack, as I will be using my own, but the 24/96 is an attraction, along all the pro features, while the battery life is a turn off.

Does anyone use the iRiver with an external ADC? I have made my own pre-amps, but have yet to come across an affordable kit or schematic for building a high quality ADC.   I would consider buying an off the shelf one though.

The tinkerer in me wants to go with anything with Rockbox on it.  I first used it on my Archos Jukebox Recorder, and loved it.  I am so pleased to see how far it has come.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Gear question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:40 PM »
I personally wouldn't pick between either of those.

The Microtrack is nice for the 24bit because you can run your levels a little low and boost them in post better than your 16 bit option. I used to own the Microtrack and did not like it. The mic in (external mics) always overloaded. It was flakey too. I had several recordings lost due to it's imperfections (mostly battery related).

It seems that the most popular/"best" option for stealthy operation is the Sony M10 (also 24 bit).

If you're looking for a cheaper option, I have the Tascam DR-07, which is a 24 bit deck as well (you might need to buy it's replacement, the DR-08). I like it a lot. Very easy to use and sounds fantastic for a $130 deck.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
Lots of people use Edirol UA-5's and Denecke PS2/AD20 which both have optical out with an H120, and it works sell.

But like he said, depending on what you have for mics and a preamp it might be easier to get an R09/M10/DR07 or something like that.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jamesd256

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
Thank you both for the replies.   You have talked me out of the Microtrack, and I'm realising that once you spend the money on an ADC to get the iRiver up to scratch, the cost advantages and conveniences diminish anyway.

I guess the DR-07 looks like the best option.  At around £80 s/h, It seems to offer more for the money than the M10 or R09.   I'm not too bothered about the lack of a 96khz sample rate, 24 bits is much more important.  I read that the internal mics are a bit noisy, but I won't be using them anyway. 

None of the reviews I have read mention the quality of the ADC or the line-in stage in this device,   Anyone care to comment on how these compare to the M10, DR-08 or R09?  I will spend the extra money if it's worth it long term.

But like he said, depending on what you have for mics and a preamp it might be easier to get an R09/M10/DR07 or something like that.

I will be using a home made mic and pre-amp set up based around an INA217 reference design and modified wm61a's, so I can tweak this to match the deck I go for.  Would this affect your choice?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
^^^ based on the mics you are running I agree with the DR-07 idea.  I think the preamp/line-in should be well within the tolerance of the mics.  I haven't used the deck personally, but it is generally well thought of and certainly a more economical move than the M10 (which is great, but not necessarily worth the extra $$ if you're trying to save money. Plus I am not a big believer in spending lots of cash on a deck vs. mics).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
wait, sorry to interrupt, but the H120 doesn't have ADC?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:05:23 PM »
wait, sorry to interrupt, but the H120 doesn't have ADC?

Of course it does. Some people here have criticized its quality which is why, I'm sure, James wanted to pair it with an external ADC.

To my ears the iRiver's ADC sounds fine. I've made great sounding recordings with good mics > ST-9100 > iHP-120.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:19:57 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline jamesd256

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:22 AM »
Well I waited for that cheap DR-07 to materialise, but it didn't happen.  Realistically, I was looking at £120 for a new one.  Then you have to think, why not get the DR-08?  It's only a bit more, and you get 24/96..mmm.  £160 is not that much.

And then I remember that I love cheap, so I snapped up an iRiver H120.  £46 on ebay!  You can't argue with 46 quid. 

I'm quite suprised and very happy because using external mics gives a pretty OK result.  Good enough for now.  Certainly comparable to HiMD recorders, entry level DATs, my old DCC and the like from back in the day.

I remember once I soldered my line out straight onto the Vo of a sound card's dac chip, and dramatically reduced the interference being added by the card's mixer.  Might try something like that on the iRiver to get the cleanest possible line in.  The great thing is, I can hack around with Rockbox, SSD drives and iPod batteries without risking much money.

Personally I think a great solid state recorder should be < £100, so I'll carry on waiting and use the iRiver in the mean time.

PS: Thanks for the replies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com